Chapter 21

The Only Exception

A/N: You guys probably hate me. Sob. Late update but I keep getting distracted OTL. I hate typing chapters on my iPod so I always have to wait till I have access to my pc. Mianhe~ Thank you to old and new subbies! You are all greatly appreciated. Enjoy this chapter!! ^^

 


It was around 11:00pm when Kai arrived home. The night breeze was making him shiver as he shut the door of his car. He walked quickly  into the glass doors of his apartment building. I should have worn a sweater like Luhan did. He made his way to the elevator and pressed the button. He digged in his pocket and grabbed his phone. He dialed Luhan's number as he waited for the elevator to come. 

"Hello?" Luhan answered.

The elevator dinged and Kai stepped in. He pressed the number of his floor before replying.

"Hey, Luhan. I'm calling to tell you I got home safe."

"Oh okay, that's good. Thanks for everything." Luhan said. He was smiling widely on the other end. Kai chuckled.

"No problem. We should do it more often. Anyway, I don't want to keep you up cause you're probably tired."

"Yeah I am, but I'd stay up if you wanted me to."

The elevator doors opened to Kai's floor and he stepped out and walked to his apartment door.

"I'd rather you get the as much sleep as possible Lulu~" Luhan chuckled.

"Goodnight Jongin-ah." Kai blushed as he slipped his key into the door.

"Goodnight Luhan-ah. Sweet dreams." 

Kai pressed the end button on his phone and walked into his apartment. He slipped his shoes off after he had closed and locked the door. He placed his phone on the coffee table in the living room before going to his room. When he walked into his room, he noticed Kyungsoo sleeping peacefully, his back facing him. Kai smiled and went to change out of his clothing. Once he was dressed in a light t-shirt and pajama pants, he walked to the other side of the bed that wasn't occupied. He took a glimpse at Kyungsoo before going into bed but noticed something about him. He was sweating and his cheeks were flushed pink. Kai was in a state of panic at that moment. He reached his arm over to Kyungsoo and placed the back of his palm against his forehead. He was burning up so much that Kai had to pull his hand back quickly from reflex.

Kai jumped from the bed and ran to the kitchen to get a cloth and a bowl. He the faucet and filled the bowl enough with cold water. He ran back to his room and sat next to Kyungsoo on the bed. He put the cloth onto the bowl of cold water and wrung it before placing it on Kyungsoo's head. He placed the bowl on the nightstand and went closer to Kyungsoo. He shook him a little making his open his eyes slightly. Kyungsoo felt weak. He furrowed his eyebrows trying to process what was happening. He felt the cloth on his head and tried to remove it but Kai stopped him.

"No, Kyungie. Leave it. You have to sit up." Kai said  quietly. He was relieved the Kyungsoo was concious. 

"W-What happened?" Kyungsoo asked as he tried to sit up. He was struggling so Kai helped him.

"I came home recently and y-you got a fever while I was out. I'm sorry I wasn't here with you." Kai said.

"I-It's alright. You didn't know." Kyungsoo smiled weakly.

Kai went to the nightstand to where the bowl of cold water was. He took the cloth from Kyungsoo's head and placed it in bowl. He wrung it again before placing in on his head again. Kyungsoo closed his eyes as he felt the coolness against his skin.

"I have some medicine in the bathroom. I'll be back."

Kyungsoo nodded and waited for Kai to come back. He was feeling really hot so he threw the covers that were on him off onto the floor. Kai came back and saw where the covers were and chuckled.

"You know, you didn't have to throw it on the floor Kyungsoo." Kai said shaking his head.

"Sorry." Kyungsoo replied with a small pout. Kai's cheeks turned pink as he witnessed Kyungsoo's cuteness.

Kai sat on the edge of the bed after he picked of the covers that were on the floor. He opened the medicine and poured a tablespoon of it and positioned it in front of Kyungsoo's lips. The latter just stared at it in disgust.

"What's wrong?" Kai asked.

"I hate cherry flavor." Kyungsoo complained. Kai just rolled his eyes and chuckled. 

"You have to take it for you to get better."

Kyungsoo opened his mouth and swallowed the medicine. He cringed at the taste. Kai closed the medicine and placed the spoon next to it on the nightstand. He walked to the window and opened it slightly. He walked back to Kyungsoo who was sitting there with his eyes closed. However, he opened them up again at the sound of Kai's voice.

"I'm going to make you some soup. It's something I learned from my mom so I hope it turns out okay." Kai said shyly and scratched the back of his neck. Kyungsoo smiled.

"Thank you."

"Just sit tight here for a bit. If you need me, just yell." Kyungsoo was still smiling when he nodded. He watched as Kai left the room before closing his eyes again. He wasn't sleeping, he just didn't like the light in his eyes since it made his head hurt a bit.

 

Kai walked into the kitchen and thought about the ingredients he needed. When he remembered everything, a smile came across his face as he proceeded to fetch the ingredients. He opened the cupboard and grabbed a can of chicken soup. His mother, however, would add different spices in it to give it a whole knew flavor that would taste better and help his fever die down faster. Kai walked to the fridge and grabbed different vegetables and placed them on the counter. In a matter of minutes, he had chopped everything he needed to. He opened the can of chicken soup and poured it into a small pot over a low fire. He mixed it and waited until it cooked a bit before adding and spices he had chopped and carrots into the pot. He grinned as the familiar smell went through his nostrils. Pleased with his work, he took a spoonful of it and tasted it. His eyes rolled back in delight. I hope Kyungie is gonna like this.

Kai made his way back to his room with a bowl of soup on a tray in hands. Kyungsoo's eyes opened slowly at the sound of Kai's presence. Kai placed the tray in front of Kyungsoo.

"How are you feeling?" Kai asked as he placed the back of his palm on his cheeks.

"Cold."

Kai got up and went to the window to close it. He went back to the edge of the bed and smiled. He picked up the bowl of soup and held it carefully in his hands. 

"It smells really good." Kyungsoo said.

"Thank you. I-If it doesn't taste good, just tell me, okay?" Kai said nervously. He knew he wasn't as great of a cook as his mom or Kyungsoo. 

Kai took some soup into the spoon and blew over it so it would be cooler for Kyungsoo to handle. When he figured it was cool enough, he positioned the spoon in front of Kyungsoo's lips, who opened his mouth without hesitation. Kai watch intently as he waited for Kyungsoo's reaction. 

"This tastes amazing." Kyungsoo beamed. Kai let out a breath of relief before he continued to feed Kyungsoo. After each bite, Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile. 

"Did you think I wouldn't like it?" Kyungsoo asked once he ate all that he could. Kai placed the tray with the bowl in the nightstand.

"Y-Yeah. I-I'm not nearly as good as my mom.....or you." Kai said the last part almost above a whisper. Kyungsoo blushed but it wasn't obvious since he did have a fever, which was slowly dying down.

"Well, it looks like you're getting there Jonginnie." Kai's head shot up once he heard Kyungsoo call him that. His ears turned a bright shade of red. He turned away from Kyungsoo in embarrasment. Kyungsoo chuckled.

"What? You call me Kyungie, so....I wanted to give you a nickname too." Kyungsoo said. Kai was blushing non-stop now.

"N-No it's okay. I like that name." Kai said reassuringly. He turned his gaze back to Kyungsoo who was smiling.

Kai got up with the tray and brought it to the kitchen to wash the bowl. He put the remaining soup into the fridge and cleaned up the mess he had made. Once he was done, he turned off the lights and walked into his room. 

"K-Kai I'm c-cold." Kyungsoo said. He was under the covers that he had kicked off earlier. Kai ran to his closet and grabbed a big blanket. He brought it to Kyungsoo and placed it over him. He then walked to the other side of the bed and climbed in it. Kyungsoo turned to face Kai. The latter wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo's waist and embraced him. He tried to give him as much warmth as possible. Kyungsoo's head was pressed against Kai's chest and he wasn't shivering as much anymore. His head was moving to the same rhythm of Kai's breathing. It was comforting for him. Suddenly, he raised his head to look at Kai.

"T-Thank you, for everything." 

"Stop thanking me. It's okay." Kai said tenderly.

"But I feel like such a burden. You're always looking after to me like I'm some 10 year old who can't do anything for themselves and I know you're probably tir-" Kai placed his index finger on Kyungsoo's lips to quiet him.

"I don't get tired of you. You are not a burden either. Kyungie, it's okay to let others help you.You probably think you look weak but you don't. Besides, I want to help you. The first day I met you, I told you that I don't normally help random people and that was true....until I met you." 

Tears were threatening to fall out of Kyungsoo's eyes. Everything that he was feeling for Kai was becoming stronger by the minute. He was sweating and it was because his fever was dying down but he also knew it was because of something else. His heart was beating faster was well. Kyungsoo was too distracted by his thoughts that he hadn't noticed Kai's hand moving to cup his face. When he realized, he was looking Kai directly into his eyes. His palms were getting sweaty because he knew what was coming as Kai's head was moving dangerously close to his.

"J-Jongin don't. Y-You'll probably g-get sick." Kyungsoo whispered.

"I don't care." 

Kai closed the remaining space between them and pressed his lips against Kyungsoo's plump ones. Kyungsoo was crying as he realized that Kai was kissing him. It was everything he had a imagined. It was sweet and sublte. He moved his arms to wrap around Kai's neck as the latter wrapped his arms tighter across his waist to bring him closer. Kai's tongue brushed against Kyungsoo's bottom lip and he gladly let him in. His tongue explored every inch of Kyungsoo's mouth without a care in the world. The kiss wasn't rushed. It was just perfect to both of them. Kyungsoo pulled back from the kiss and they were both gasping for air. Kai placed his head against Kyungsoo's and they just stayed like that, staring into each other's eyes as their breaths mingled together. They stayed like that until fatigue hit them both and they fell into a deep slumber, in each other's arms.