Chapter 12

The Only Exception

"Where have you been Kyungsoo Oppa?" Jia chirped. Kyungsoo cringed at her voice. He hated when she called him that.

"I-I've been busy" he lied. Jia pouted.

"Well I'm glad you're back. I was getting worried."

"Yeah right." Kyungsoo said harshly. She frowned and walked away from the table.

He turned back to Kai and Luhan who were very much aware of Kyungsoo's tone toward her. They gave him a look signaling for him to explain the discourse between the both of them. He truly didn't want to explain but he knew they wouldn't stop pressing him about it, especially Kai since they now live together.

"What was that?" Kai asked, breaking the few seconds of silence. Kyungsoo sighed. 

"T-That's Jia." He stated blankly.

"Yeah yeah we get that. What's up with you two?

"She's my ex girlfriend. Look I don't want to talk about this." Kyungsoo said. He was getting frustrated so he picked up his things and proceeded to leave the cafeteria without saying another word. 

"W-wait!" Kai said running after Kyungsoo who was walking toward the bathroom. Luhan rolled his eyes because Kai had left him in the cafeteria. He had no choice but to go to the dance room where his other close friend, Sehun, was during lunch. He grabbed his bag and went to go look for him.

 

"Kai. I said I didn't want to talk about it, okay?" Kyungsoo said when they were alone in the bathroom. Kai followed him in there when Kyungsoo stormed out of the cafeteria.

"I know, I know. You don't have to. I-I just don't like seeing you upset." Kai said smiling a little. Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile back.

"I'm fine Kai. I promise." he said warmly.

Kai and Kyungsoo walked out of the bathroom to go to their afternoon classes. 

"See you later." Kyungsoo said and waved as he went up the stairs to his history class. Kai nodded and went to his class as well.

 

When Kyungsoo made it to his history class, he sat next to his friend, Suho. He hadn't seen Suho since his mother passed. The latter turned to look at the figure who was seated next to him and his eyes looked as if they were going to pop out of his head. He grabbed Kyungsoo and embraced him tightly catching him by surprise. Kyungsoo smiled and the sudden action of his friend.

"Kyungsoo-ahhh," he wailed. "I missed you!" He pulled back to look at Kyungsoo, who was smiling shyly at him. 

"I missed you too Suho hyung." he replied honestly. He was one of the few people that knew about what had happened to his mother but he didn't know what was going on between him and his father. 

"It must be hard." Suho said remorsefully. Kyungsoo nodded a little.

"Yea. I'm getting through it though with support."

"I'm glad you're back. I tried texting and calling but, no answer." he said pouting. Kyungsoo rubbed the back of his neck.

"I haven't turned my phone on in the past months, honestly. I'll turn it on today so we can talk". he said smiling. Suho was cheerful now.

They stopped talking when the teacher came in, ready to start her lesson.

 

"Kyungsoo!" Suho yelled, running after Kyungsoo when the bell rang for dismissal. Kyungsoo turned around and smiled. 

"Hey hyung!" he replied.

"You want to go home together? We could catch up on some things." Kyungsoo's eyes darted to a taller figure walking towards them; Kai. He stopped in front of them smiling. Suho looked up at him with a confused expression. 

"Uh, Suho, this is Kai. Kai this is Suho." They greeted each other, smiling and bowing respectfully. 

"You ready go?" Kai said turning to Kyungsoo. He looked at Suho who just gave him a small smile.

"Ani, It's okay Kyungsoo. I'll text you later okay?" Suho told him, responding to the look Kyungsoo gave him.

"I could drop you home, if you'd like." Kai said quickly before Suho ran off. He hesitated for a minute before nodding.

"Great! Let's go!" Kai said, pleased that Suho didn't refuse his offer. 

Kai led them to his car which was parked i front of the school. Kyungsoo and Suho decided to sit in the back together to talk a little. Kai was putting his seatbelt on when Kyungsoo asked him a question.

"Where's Luhan?" Kai shrugged.

"He was in my class last period but he ran off somewhere with his friend Sehun." Kai started the engine and began to drive away from the school. Suho had given Kai his address on the way to the car earlier.

"I haven't seen Chanyeol all day!" Kyungsoo pouted.

"Yeah. He's sick with a fever. He was taking care of his sister because she was sick and she ended up vomiting on him so I guess that's how he caught it." Suho said laughing. Kyungsoo bursted into laughter as well. 

"So who's taking care of him? I know his umma works two jobs." 

"Turns out his 'beloved' Baekhyun takes care of him after school." Suho said giggling.

"They are too cute. I seriously do not know how  Baekhyun is so oblivious to his feelings towards him. Chanyeol is so obvious."

"And annoying. Try getting calls late at night because he can't stop thinking about him" Suho complained, shaking his head. 

Kyungsoo and Suho were laughing loudly in the car as they were catching up like they used to. Kai peered in the mirror at them. He hadn't seen Kyungsoo this happy, ever. His face started to heat up when he saw Kyungsoo's blinding smile. Just his smile was making Kai's heart race a mile a minute. He put his eyes back on the road quickly before he got too distracted. He made a right turned and came to a stop. When Suho realized that the car had stopped, him and Kyungsoo stop talking a bid their goodbyes.

"Bye Kyungsoo-ah~. I'll text you later, arasso?" 

"Okay Hyung!" Suho opened the car door and stepped out. He walked to Kai's window. "Thanks a bunch for dropping me off. It was nice to meet you, Kai.."

"Ah No problem Suho. It was nice too meet you too." They bowed and Suho walked to his home. 

"Kyungsoo~", Kai whined, "I'm lonely up here. Sit next to me~." Kyungsoo laughed at Kai's failed aegyo but climbed to the passenger seat anyway. Kai was grinning when Kyungsoo started buckling his seat belt.

"Kai, can we get ice cream? I don't wanna go home just yet." Kyungsoo asked smiling widely. Kai couldn't refuse him even if he tried.

"Alright. But you're paying." Kai joked.

"I don't care. You're with me," Kyungsoo said and began to blush a bit. "You also give me free rides to wherever I want to go, so why not?" 

Kai hit his arm lightly and laughed. "Whatever. Just remember I like cookies and cream." They both began to giggle when Kai started driving away to the ice cream parlor.


 

A/N: Exams are over!!!!!!  I'm so fricken happy omfg! I can update more ^^

You'll see why Kyungsoo was so cold to Jia later on~