Chapter 24

The Only Exception

The weekend rolled around quickly, a little too quickly for Kyungsoo's liking. He really didn't want to step foot out of Kai's apartment anytime soon ever since their little shopping trip on Saturday. The fact that he'd missed so many days of school, Kyungsoo couldn't risk taking more days off unless he really needed to. He needed to graduate and since that day was only a few months away, he would just have to it up for a while longer. 


The air was cool against Kyungsoo's skin as he made his way to school. Kai left earlier that morning because Luhan needed him to review the choreography to the dance that him and Sehun would be doing for the talent show. The show was only a week away and since Kai was a much better dancer than anyone in the school, his judgment was very much appreciated. So, Kyungsoo was alone as he walked into the school building. He walked to his first class without any interruptions. When he walked in, students who were already in the room eyed him like they did every morning. This is gonna take some time to get used to. In a matter of minutes, the teacher began his lesson. Kyungsoo just couldn't seem to focus. The only thing that was going through his mind was what his father could be doing right this moment. He hated feeling so vulnerable. 

"Mr. Do, what's the answer to this problem?" Kyungsoo's math teacher asked as he pointed to the board. He didn't get a response causing him to furrow his eyebrows as he grew impatient.

"Mr. Do, are you listening?.......Mr. Do!"

Kyungsoo jumped at the sound of his teacher’s voice. He was too much in a daze to hear the previous calls from his teacher. Everyone around him was staring at him and some ever chuckling. His face was heating up with embarrassment as he looked up at his teacher who was now in front of him.

"S-Sorry s-songsaengnim." Kyungsoo bowed his head and diverted his gaze away from his teacher’s eyes. Mr. Lee shook his head.

“Stay focused.” He said before walking back to the board and resumed his lesson. Kyungsoo groaned inwardly, frustrated with himself. He slouched back in his seat and tried to focus on the lesson. As soon as he was able to get his thoughts together to copy the notes that were currently on the board, he felt someone’s gaze at the back of his head. He slowly turned around and saw Jia looking at him. When he realized she had been caught staring, she quickly went back to her work. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and continued to work. Why was she even looking at me like that?
 

When the bell rang, Kyungsoo leaped out of his seat and made his way to his next class. He made his way through the sea of students as fast as possible. He ran to the staircase and went one floor down. He had art and he was a little relieved because he wasn’t bad at it and he had Chanyeol there to accompany him as well. When he walked into the class, Chanyeol was already dressed in his smock and he rolled his eyes at his failed attempt at looking like an actual artist.

“Chanyeol, what are you wearing?” Kyungsoo asked with a look of disbelief on his face as he took a seat next to the boy with brown curly hair and a huge grin on his face.

“What does it look like? This is true artist attire.” He still had that stupid grin on his face.

“But you aren’t an artist.”

“Are you jealous because you only have that plain apron on?”

“Honestly, no. You’re just the odd one in this whole class.”  Chanyeol looked around the whole class and he noticed he was the only one wearing a smock that covered his whole upper half.

He shrugged. “At least I stand out.”

Their art teacher came in the class and began giving the students instructions. Their assignment was to draw something about their art partner that stood out to them the most. Chanyeol, being Kyungsoo’s partner decided to draw his ‘distinctive’ eyes and Kyungsoo settled on drawing his smile.

“Your smile is creepy as hell.” Kyungsoo comments as he tries draw the details of Chanyeol’s smile.

“Shut up.” Kyungsoo chuckled and proceeded on drawing.

By the time Kyungsoo was finished, being the perfectionist that he is, class was over. Chanyeol would have to complete his drawing tomorrow.

 

After a very long day, Kyungsoo was somewhat happy to go to his last class. He was just one hour away from being able to go home, away from school and any other work. As usual, Suho was seated in the seat next to his when he walked into the classroom. Kyungsoo threw his bag down and plopped down on the seat next to Suho.

“Soo, I didn’t see you at lunch today, where were you?” Suho asked with concern obvious in his voice. Kyungsoo sighed.

“I was out in the yard.”

“I-Is something wrong? You know you can tell me anything.”

“Just walk with me after school and I’ll explain everything.” Suho just nodded but he was beginning to feel worried for his best friend.

 

Soon enough, it was time to go home and Suho and Kyungsoo walked out of the school building together. He suddenly stopped midway through the school gates remembering that he didn’t have any keys. He mentally cursed himself before turning to Suho.

“I’m going back in the school to get the keys from Kai alright? Stay here.” Suho nodded and went to sit on the stairs in front of the school building, pulling out his phone to keep him busy.

Kyungsoo ran through the school to Kai’s locker hoping he’d be there. It suddenly came to him that he would probably be helping Luhan with the choreography for the talent show in the dance room. He made his way to the dance room as fast as possible, however, he saw Sehun turn the corner and walk towards him. He figured he could ask him if Kai was in the dance room now so he wouldn’t have to walk all the way to the dance room.

“Hey, Sehun!” Kyungsoo yelled and he automatically caught his attention.

“Oh, hey. Kyungsoo, right?” Sehun asked once they had both stopped walking.

“Yeah. Um, I was looking for Kai. Is he in the dance room?”

“Yeah, he’s in there with Luhan. I can’t stay after school today so Kai is going to practice with Luhan and help him out.”

“Oh okay. Thanks.”

They parted ways and Kyungsoo walked to the dance room. He opened the door slowly and peeked in the room, trying not to disturb them. His face fell immediately at what he had seen. Although Kai was merely just instructing Luhan where to place his hips, to Kyungsoo it didn’t look all that innocent. Kai was standing behind Luhan with his hands gripping his waist and he was instructing Luhan at the same time. The look in Luhan’s eyes as he looked at Kai through the mirror in front of them made Kyungsoo shudder. His heart sunk into his stomach as he closed the door quietly and ran away from the room. He stopped midway in the hallway and wiped the tears that were falling out of his eyes. Suho can’t see me like this. He it up and put on his best poker face and walked out of the building.

“Um, he wasn’t there. He’s probably on his way home already or something.” Kyungsoo lied but of course, Suho couldn’t tell.

“Alright then. C’mon, you need to tell me what’s up.” Suho said as he stood up from the steps and they both began to stroll  He put his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder trying to comfort him as he spoke on their way home.