The Contract

Destiny's Wheel

As soon as you entered the door, you were greeted with numerous posters of SM artist. From H.O.T to EXO's. You were astounded with the sight in front of you. Still, you couldn't believe that you are inside one of  South Korea's top entertainment companies. 

"Oh, Jongin-ah. You're here already." The receptionist greeted him.

"Hello, noona. This is Tanya. Sooman ssi would like to talk to her." He casually said as he pointed at you.

"Arasso. She just needs to sign here." She said as she got out a piece of paper, which you think is the record book.  

"Oh,  there's no need for her to do that. Tanya, let's go." He said as he curtly gave a bow to the receptionist and dragged you towards Lee Soo Man's office. 

As you were inside the elevator, he gave you a few instructions to follow.

"Sooman ssi is kind of weird and sentimental. If ever he acts so clingy and sweet to you, disregard it. He just usually acts like that in front of women. If he talks about his youth, just give him a nod and a smile. If ever, he mentions something about his family, try to change the topic okay? If you ever need my help, just look at me and I'll do the rest. Understood?" He said in one breath as he was standing against the corner of the elevator. 

"Uhm...okay?" You just answered as you were dumbfounded. "But may I ask why should  I evade those kinds of stories from him?" You curiously asked Kai.

"Just because. Just trust me on this." He said as the elevator door opened, signalling that you've arrived.

Kai casually walked inside the office without even knocking and you just followed. You saw Lee Soo Man sitting on his chair, while facing the window.

"Morning." Jongin said as he sat down on the couch.

Soo Man turned his chair so that he was facing the both of you. 

"Jongin-ah, rude as always. Tsk tsk. Oh, is this the Tanya Lee that i've been hearing from our Jonginnie right here?" He said as he removed his spectacles and scrutinize you. You felt like you were being stripped with his looks.

"Yah! Stop looking at her like that!" Jongin exclaimed.

"Bwoh?! YAH? Seriously. You need to learn your manners, boy." Soo Man said as he glared at Jongin, who was still calm, not affected with the glares that he was receiving. "Oh, sit down." He said as he motioned for you to sit on the couch as well.

You followed his orders, scared to disobey even his simple instructions.

"Okay. Let's get down to business. As Jongin had mentioned, your dorm was caught on fire. Am I right?" He asked while looking at you. You just gave him a nod. "And he also mentioned that you were here on scholarship? Is that right?" And you gave him a nod again. "He had mentioned too that all your clothes, things and even documents were caught on fire. Is ths true?" He said as he eyed you, waiting for you to answer. "Yes, sir." You answered him as he continued to flip the pages of his report book. "Okay." He said as he placed the paper on his desk.

"Jongin here called me a few days ago, informing me about your situation. He also asked a favor from me. And that is if I could offer you a job and a place to stay in. I said yes to his suggestion to let you stay in their dorm. However, this action might stir scandals especially when the fans learn about you're staying in their dorm without any relationship with any of them. Thus, we've reached a compromise to let you work as their coordi to avoid further problems in the future. Is that okay with you? But I've thought of something better. Since you're also good in english, I've decided to make you one of their managers and translator as well. Is that all right with you?" He said as he eyed you, anticipating your answer. Jongin too, was fidgeting in his seat, waiting for your answer as well. "Of course sir. It would be a pleasure to work under SM Entertainment. And I'm really grateful, sir." You answered with a smile. "Great. Oh, and I've arranged your documents already. You have a new passport, a 3-year visa and all the other documents you'll need during your stay here. Just sign this contract and you'll be officially part of the company already." He said as he fished out another document from his drawer and handed you the contract. 

You stood up, read the terms and conditions of the contract and then signed it. 

"Congratulations, you're part of the SM family already." He said as he gave you a handshake. 

"Thank you, sir. It's my pleasure to work with you." You answered as you reciprocated the gesture. 

"Oh, how old are you by the way?" He suddenly asked. You eyes Jongin for the assurance whether to answer his question or not.  He just gave you a nod.

"19 years old sir. International age." You answered his questions.

"Oh, same age as my daughter." He said as he smiled a bitter smile.

"I know it's rude for me to ask sir, but you have daughter?" 

"Oh yes. But I haven't seen her yet. Well, once, but only recently."

"What happened sir?"

"I went abroad 20 years ago, and I impregnated a local. i left her and my unborn child, a few months after. Once I came back here, I hired a detective to update me once in a while. He said that it was a girl, a beatiful girl that was born. Up to now, he still updates me. And I'm really proud since he told me that she's an intelligent girl." He said with a proud smile. 

"Oh. I guess you are so  proud sir." 

"May I ask, if it's not rude, where are your parents?" 

"I left my mother in the Philippines. I just called her the other day though. She said that she's doing fine. I grew up without a father sir. But one of the reasons that I came here is to know the roots of my father, and hopefully, get to know him as well." You answered him with a smile and an excited glint in your eyes.

"You want to meet your father despite what he has done?" 

"Of course sir. At first, I was so mad at him for leaving my mother and i. But through the years, I've realized that maybe, just maybe, he has done that for the sake of both parties. I'm still disappointed for what he did, but I won't be here right not if not for him. So yeah, I would want to meet him despite all the crap that he has done to me and my mother."

You heard sniffs and as you looked around the room, Soo Man was crying.

"Uhm, sir?" 

"Sorry. It's just I'm so touched with what you said. You're a great woman. A very understanding and kind-hearted woman. Your father should be proud of you. He should also feel sorry for  himself in missing out the experiences that he should have experienced with his daughter before." he said as he wiped his tears and drank his water. 

"Uhm, thank you sir for such compliments." 

"Uhm, it's getting late already. I still have a meeting to attend to in 30 mins. It was nice talking to you, Tanya. Hope to see you soon." He said as he stood up and offered his hand. YOu and jongin also stood up. YOu were about to shake his hand, when Soo Man engulfed you in a bone-crushing hug. 

"Don't hesitate to come to me okay? Feel at home. And if it could make you feel much better, consider me as the father that you've never had and JOngin  and the others as your older brothers, okay?" he said as he gave you a pat on the back.

"I will. thank you, sir." You said as you pat his back as well and you were released from his arms.

"We'll be going now. Thank you so much." You said as you gave him a bow and Jongin did the same as you two walked towards the exit.