Chapter Thirty-One

What is Love.

That night, you couldn't sleep at all. You kept rewinding the images and words he said to you.

"I don't know what took me so long to figure this out, but I think I'm in love with you."

You shook the thoughts off but seconds later, the memories repeated.

You and Baekhyun decided to take the bus home. On the way, neither of you talked or looked at each other. Most of the time, you stared at the ground, but once in a while, you  took a quick glance at him. You tried to calm down, but your heart insisted on beating. When the bus finally made a stop to your house, you awkwardly walked in the house. Kai, who was watching TV, quickly stood up and turned toward you.

"Yah! What were you guys doing out so late? Do you know what time it is?" 

To be honest, you lost track of time, and didn't realize what time it was until you looked at the clock. 1 AM. "Kai stayed up this whole time waiting for me and Baekhyun?" You thought. 

"Mianhae, I'm tired. I'm going up." You did a quick wave and at all cost, avoided looking at Baekhyun.

----

I can't stay up here forever...

You wrapped up your courage and made your way to the bathroom. As you opened the door, you begged that Baekhyun wouldn't be in there. Thank god, he's not here.

You couldn't help but stare at yourself in the mirror. Am I really perfect? Does Baekhyun really like me?

Suddenly, you heard someone banging on the door. "Yah! Stop being conceited and hurry up ugly-turtle-old woman!"

You snapped out of your daydream and curled your fist in a ball. That stupid moron bastard jerk Kai. You quickly cleaned your face and opened the door.

"What? Happy? I came out." You said with a sarcastic tone.

"No. Why did you come out so quick? Next time, make me happy, and take that long again because I'll love you forever~" He glared and mentally shot daggers at you. As he walked in, he purposely bumped into your shoulder and made you tip a bit. 

"You like making contact with me don't you? Last time, you bumped into me and now you purposely fell into me. Tsk tsk tsk," He clucked his tongue, smirked, and finally closed the door.

"Kai, you're a conceited ." You made sure to say it loud enough for him to hear.

When you walked downstairs, you saw that Baekhyun eating breakfast. Oh god, this is so awkward. I can't face him!

"Good morning ______. I'm going to leave later with Kai."

"Good morning," You forced out the words, still not making eye contact with him. "Really? Where?"

"To the hospital."

"Can I come too?!" You were now staring at him with a bright smile. You haven't seem your dad in a long time and you wanted to take every possible opportunity.

"Sure, --"

"Wait what? She's coming with us? Why?" Kai interrupted and pretended to whine.

"Just 'cause I wanna tag along. You have a problem?" You sarcastically retorted. Kai ignored you and sat down to eat breakfast.

"____ aren't you gonna eat too?" Baekhyun asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah." You scratched your head and sat next to Kai.

I should have never told her my feelings. Now she feels so awkward around me.

---

After breakfast, you, Kai, and Baekhyun got into Baekhyun's car and drove to the hospital.

"Baekhyun, I'm going to be going first, okay?" Baekhyun nodded and you went to find your dad's room.

You walked quietly in and tried to surprise him. "Appa! Guess who's here?!"

"_____! I'm so...happy...to see...you..." He wheezed. You cringed a little, seeing how his health decreased dramatically. You can't expect anything much. He only has like a week left.

"Appa, I'm sorry I didn't bring you anything. Please don't be sad because I can't visit you often." You held your dad's hand.

He smiled weakly and nodded. "I understand...I don't...expect...anything...Just do well...in school...and in the....future..."

"Appa.." You were on the merge of crying.

"Don't cry...I feel irresponsible...for leaving you...with no one."

"Appa, don't say that. I have many friends now. Don't worry about me. I know how to take care of myself."

 

----- (meanwhile Kai and Baekhyun)

"Sumin! Look who came to visit!" Baekhyun walked in with a face full of aegyo.

"Baekhyun!" She yelled then a second later, "OPPA!"

"How are you doing?" Kai patted his sister's head.

"Good! Can't you tell?" Kai forced a smile. In reality, she was becomming thinner.

"Good girl." Baekhyun ruffled her hair. "Look Kai and I got you a present. Guess!"

"Is it food?!"

"Nope!" Baekhyun revealed a little cute doll. "I bought you this so you won't be bored. Look if you press here, it can talk!"

"Ahh!" She shrieked. "Thank you so much Oppa and Baekhyun! I love it!" Since she couldn't really move, Kai placed it near her arm.

"Sumin, we have another friend that we brought to the hospital. Do you want to meet her?" Baekhyun asked.

Sumin smiled and barely nodded.

Kai stared at Baekhyun awkwardly. "Wait okay? We'll come back!" Baekhyun stood up and told Kai to come.

"How do you even know where she is?" Kai asked.

"Don't ask. Just follow. You should smile and be more cheerful toward Sumin. It's not everday we could come talk to her like this."

"I know, but I just can't. It pains me." Kai sighed.

----

You heard a knock and wondered who it was. "Appa, wait okay?"

You stood up to open the door, and was shocked to see Kai and Baekhyun.

"Aren't you guys visiting someone else? Or are you done?"

"Nope, we came to get you."

"We have to leave already?" You pouted.

"_____....Who is it?... Is it the nurse?"

"Who is that?" Kai asked.

"Come. You've never seen my dad before right?"

"Appa, these two are my friends." You introduced them to your dad.

"Annyeonghasaeyo," They both bowed and greeted your dad.

"Are you... good friends.... with my daughter _____?"

"Nae."

Your dad faced you and said, "If they are...here to get.. you...you can leave...I don't want them...to keep waiting..."

"Alright dad! You'll still be here the next time I visit you right?" You leaned down to kiss him and quickly walked out before he could see your tears.

"Please...take care...of _____ for me....I won't make it....Thank you..." He told Kai and Baekhyun.

"Don't worry. We'll protect her. It was nice meeting you." Baekhyun and Kai both bowed and left the room.

While walking out, Kai suddenly remembered that time when you were at the hospital. She was here for her dad, not because she wanted to eavesdrop on me. I feel so bad. I misunderstood her the whole time. You're going through as much pain as I am. I should do something to make it up for her.

You noticed that you weren't exactly heading to the exit door. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to show you someone."

They led you to a familiar room. "Wait...Isn't this Kai's sister's room?" You were a bit hesitant to go in, after the incident with kai last time.

"Yeah come in." Kai said.

These two know each other before? Baekhyun thought

"Oh you're back! Hi! I'm Sumin! What's your name?"

"I'm ____. Nice to meet you too~" You smiled.

"Oppa, is she your girlfriend?" She asked Kai.

"Eww her? She's so ugly. Don't look down on Oppa! I'm handsome you know." He stared disgustingly at you.

You made a face and said, "Whatever. Don't believe him. He's the ugly one" 

"Then are you Baekhyun's girlfriend?"

Suddenly, Kai noticed that both you and Baekhyun were tensed. I smell suspicion between these two..

"Ahah, no we're not. We're just all good friends."

"But why not?! You guys look really good together! Well to be honest, at first I thought you matched with my oppa, but since he said you're ugly, I started noticing that you and Baekhyun actually look like a real couple! And don't take my Oppa's words serioiusly. He's like that. Always sarcastic, but just knows that if he's mean to you, he ---."

"Sumin, Shut up."

Sumin pouted and you pinched her cheeks.

Kai thought about Sumin's words and grew jealous. Pshh her and Baekhyun? Not even.

"Alright, we're going to go now. Bye Sumin!" Baekhyun and you both waved and left. Kai stayed in there for a second to say his last words.

"Eat a lot okay? I'll visit you again soon." He kissed her and was about to leave when she grabbed his hand.

"Oppa, you like her don't you? You should say something about it before it's too late." Before your close friend gets her instead. I want you to be happy oppa.

Kai just nodded and smiled before leaving. There's no way. I don't like her.