Chapter Twelve

What is Love.

In the meantime , Kai was busy making his way back to EXO M's base . To be honest , he hated doing business with them . EXO K and EXO M had always been at war , and even though both gangs had officially agreed to put the hate aside and continue the future as allies , Kai still didn't change his mind about them .

 

He had really no problems with them at all . In fact , he was sure that they could have been good friends , if they hadn't brought his family into the ordeal and damage him for life .

 

Flashback:

 

It was the year of 2009 . Three years ago . Kai was getting out to leave . It was a dangerous task . He was instructed by Suho to retrieve the stash of crack in another drug lord's main base . In other words , steal it . Normally , this wouldn't be such a big deal for him , he had done this numerous times . But , this time , it was different . This time , his boss would take his mother's life if he didn't get the job done . In fact , she was currently being held hostage back at the EXO K base .

 

"Oppa oppa !" Sumi called . "Where are you going ?"

 

"Sumi  stay here . Don't . Move . Stay in the house at ALL times . Don't answer the door to anyone but omma or me , arasso ?"

 

She pouted . "Oppa , where's omma ? I want to come too ! Are you getting her ?"

 

"No . I told you , just stay home ."

 

"No ! I want to go with y-"

 

"SUMI SHUT UP !" Kai breathed a deep breath and glared at his sister , who was now crying . He never exploded once at Sumi before , but this was important . He had to keep his sister safe , his only family left if this plan didn't go well ..

 

What made it worse was that the place was staked out with guys everywhere , each holding their own rifle and handgun . Kai did it . He didn't know how , or what he did . Everything was a blur , him running up , getting into a fist fight with a couple of the guys , then somehow making it into the stash . One of the guards had managed to shoot him in the arm , but he just bit his lip and continued on . He had to do this . For his mother , and his sister .

 

Kai quickly hid behind a storage box . He held his breath , too nervous to even make a sound . He had made it safely inside the warehouse . Luckily enough , he had managed to fake himself falling down over the walls . It satisfied the guards enough and they didn't come after him . But now , Kai had the trouble of his speed . The wound on his arm had slowed him down a bit , and he had to be careful , making sure blood didn't drop anywhere .

 

He gritted his teeth and forced himself to move on . After finally finding the stash , he now had the problem of carrying it out , without grabbing anyone's attention . The wound on his arm wasn't helping . He mentally cursed in his head and tried to drag the package outside . He flinched everytime it made a loud noise . 

 

"Hey you! Where do you think you're going!" One of the guards yelled, grabbing attention from all the other ones too.

 

*! What do I do? Run and leave the package and my mom dies, or have them kill me?!* 

 

Kai didn't have time to think at all and ran out of the warehouse without the package. The guards were running after him with guns in their hands, ready to shoot.

 

Luckily, he made it out of the warehouse without being injured anymore. He had managed to jump on the storage boxes and make it out through an open window. However, the staggering pain on his arm was hurting even more. If he didn't get it treated soon, he would probably faint.

 

He ran back to EXO K's headquarter disappointed. He was scared to face his boss. He didn't know what to say. He couldn't risk saying that he didn't get the package. But he knew there had to be something he could do. The life of his mom was in his hands. It was a heavy burden, but there was no way he would be letting it go.

 

He punched the brick wall in frustration and his knuckles started bleeding, but he didn't care. He slowly dragged his feet into the headquarter.

 

The boss looked at him, already noticing that there was nothing in his empty hands.

 

"Did you get it?" The boss asked.

 

"No." Kai whispered.

 

"I knew you couldn't do ! Maybe if you tried a little harder then you would have gotten it. But I guess it's too late to go back now isn't it? You useless kid. I don't even know why I recruited you in the first place. Guys!" He called his guards.

 

"Yes!" They chanted in unison.

 

"Bring his mom out and prepare for execution.."

 

Kai looked up shocked and fell on his knees. "PLEASE I BEG YOU! Please don't! I'll do anything. I'll do it again if I have to. Just don't kill her. Please!"

 

"It's too late for that , Jongin.." the boss whispered with a smirk on his face.

 

The guards took out their knives. Kai witnessed everything. They stabbed his mom right through the front in her stomach while his mom was begging for mercy. Kai thought that one stab was enough, but they stabbed her two more times from the back and left the knife in her body.

 

Kai's mom took a last glance at Kai with tears in her eyes. She went down on her knees and before she closed her eyes, she managed to say, "Take good care of your sister."

 

"NO!!!!! OMMA!!" Kai ran toward his mom. He craddled her in his arms and looked at her one last time before turning to the boss. Kai was now raging. Never in his life had he been his furious before.

 

Kai glared at the boss and stumbled towards him. Kai grabbed a knife and ran towards his boss. Before Kai made it toward him, the guards got ahold of him and pressured him to the ground.

 

"Let go of me!" Kai screamed.

 

"Oppa!!" Kai heard Sumi yell.

 

*Oh god.. What is she doing here? Why is she here? Oh no, please please, shut up for once. Sumi.. run away. RUN AWAY.  You're my only one left.*

 

"Let go of oppa! No one hurts my oppa!" She ran toward the guards. The guards showed no mercy and slashed her in the arm and she cried in agony. Before Kai could even yell or save his sister, one of them swiped the knife across their face and it went into her left eye. Another managed to stab her in the back.

 

"AHH! OPPA! IT HURTS SO MUCH! I CAN'T SEE, BUT I CAN TASTE BLOOD. OPPA HELP!!" Sumi sreamed. Kai's heart in pain and frustration because he was so helpless. He couldn't even save his sister or mother.

 

With one final kick, Kai managed to get out of the guards arm and grabbed his sister. He carried her to the hospital and got her treated. Luckily, she didn't die, however, she became blind in her left eye. Sadly though, the injury in her back had managed to damage her spinal cord and spine. She couldn't move her legs or her right arm. And so far, the condition had never changed. Still, after these three years, she still couldn't walk, no matter how much they put her in rehab, no matter how much Kai paid, still.. nothing.

 

They would have given up on her already, let her just suffer and die, if it weren't for the amount of money Kai paid the hospital to keep her in there, and to take care of her. It was at least four times the hospital bills. But it was worth it.. even if he had to keep on working for that little piece of a boss. For Sumi, he would do anything.

 

End of flashback

 

"Ayo waddup Kris ." Kai greeted Kris by the door .

 

"Ayo wassupppp ?"  Kris grinned cheekily and slung an arm over Kai again, and again he shivered and threw the arm off. It still disgusted him no matter how many times he did that.

 

"So , what are you here for ?"

 

"The usual ."

 

"Alright come over here ."

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

As quickly as he could , Kai dashed into the office of where his boss resided . He entered into the room and threw the pack of drugs onto his desk with disgust . He hated the darn thing . Never touched it once , but it was for his sister . He would go into the far end for his sister . Anything .

 

Insoong (A/N: Remember the guy from the ice cream shop ?) gave a chuckle and snatched the bag from his table , taking a peek inside before looking up at Kai . He gave a disgusting grin .

 

"You've been doing good boy ."

 

"Just give me the money ." Kai growled .

 

"Ah ah ah . Just wait now , Jongin .. Let me get it for you first ."

 

Insoong then proceeded to pretend to rumage in his little drawer trying to find the money .

 

"Just shut up and give it to me !" Kai all but screamed at him .

 

Insoong tossed another bag at him , this time , lighter , and filled with money ."

 

"You've been such a good boy lately , Jongin . Especially with that brat of a mother gone ." Insoong chuckled and took in a breath of his cigar .

 

Kai's anger boiled up . It already pissed him off how Insoong used his real name , and now bring his mother into the situation . He all but wanted to charge and rip his boss's head off . But he knew better than to do that , even though he was completely capable of doing so . Insoong was a big man , but , he didn't know how to fight , defend himself , or anything . But he had money . And money was the only way Kai could keep his sister alive.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Walking at a slower and calm pace now , Kai headed off to Sumi's room . He had just used the money to pay off the monthly hospital bills . He entered the so familiar room and approached the sleeping girl . Kai pushed the bangs away from her face and smiled softly . Here was his sister , who had been through as much as he did . She was the last of his familly . The doctor entered suddenly .

 

"Jongin-sshi ."

 

Kai stood up and bowed to the doctor . "Yes sir ?"

 

"I'm sure you know of her current condition ."

 

He nodded . "Yes , everything about it ."

 

The doctor gave a deep sigh and took off his glasses . Kai's heart stopped . It wasn't good . Whenever the doctor would do this , there would always be bad news .

 

"You see .. even with all the treatment she's been getting , I don't know if she'll ever recover from this state . The best results you could get out of her is probably her in a wheelchair . The cornea in her left eye was completely destroyed at the incident . You know as well as I do that there's nothing else we can do , no matter how much money you pay us ."

 

"Shut up .."

 

"Excuse me ?"

 

"I SAID SHUT UP."

 

Kai screamed and pushed the doctor to the ground before taking off , rushing out of the hospital back to his home . He wiped his tears off with his sleeve as he continued to run . He was beyond pissed at the world . There was nothing he could do for his sister . No matter how much he tried , no matter how much he ran , there was nothing . He felt completely useless .

 

He didn't manage to dodge a car that was turning . He tumbled to the ground , clutching his sides .

 

A/N: Hello ^o^ Vitaminnie here again . By the time this chapter will be released (since I like to write ahead so we don't procrastinate) it'll probably be like , a month later or something , but .. SMTOWN LA WAS SOOO AMAZING <3 Super Junior with their LED suits , and ahfjdflkd Leeteuk and Tiffany were the first k-pop idols I ever saw . I got to see my most favourite band Suju . And of course , EXO was spectacular . Kris was so freaking hot . I was shouting Minho's name , and apparently , he heard , made eyecontact with me and waved . -dead dead dead- <3 But yeah . I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter . Love you subbies .