Chapter Three

What is Love.

You stumbled quickly into the shop and bent down a bit , resting your hand on the back of a chair before catching your breath . You could feel your heartbeat pounding hard , and was pretty sure your face was flushed right now .

 

First Baekhyun , now Kai ? Does the world hate me or something ?

 

You puffed up your cheeks and kicked the chair in frustration , making a loud clatter . You were too lazy to pick it up .

 

At least I know now to avoid them ..

 

Relieved that this long day was over , you stood up and stretched , making your way back to the locker rooms to grab your belongings and head home . It was late , 9'o clock to be exact . It was a good thing you barely had any assignments to do with spring break coming up soon . When you were about to exit and lock the shop , there was a loud clatter and you heard the backdoor shut . You spun around immediately , your eyes wide with fear .

 

What ? I thought I had locked the door .

 

You heard some footsteps , and you quickly ducked down and crawled into the closet on your left where you got out a broom . You stayed in the closet for a little more , trying to calm yourself down . You were thinking to yourself who would break into an ice cream shop ? You deemed this intruder as easy enough for you to take out . Peering out of the door , you looked left and right carefully , hand gripped tightly on a broom as you narrowed your eyes , trying to see in the dark .

 

CRASH .

 

You almost jumped out of your skin , but regained your cool and snuck out into the shop , hiding in front of the front counter . You had your broom in hand , ready to strike anytime .

 

Arasso _______ . This is your chance to prove to manager ahjusshi that you're responsible . COME ON , _____ HWAITING ! You can do it !

 

You pumped your fist for the third time this day and headed out , determined to catch the person in your shop and bring him to justice . You heard a small noise in the back of the storage room and went on your tip toes , inching slowly towards the door , broom in hand and ready to strike .

 

Maybe it was really dark , or you were just blind , but you didn't notice the shadow on the right side of you . You crouched down and started crab walking towards the left side of the bar .

 

CRASH.

 

Another sound . You jumped up on your feet , legs shaking , and broom still steady in your hands as you looked around to try and pinpoint where the sound came from . Nervous , you crouched down again and kept on circling around the front counter, as the shadow followed right behind you , his back facing you however , so he didn't know you were in the same presence as he was . If someone didn't know the situation , they'd be thinking the two of you were playing a game .

 

Around and around , the two of you kept on circling around the bar clock wise , not even taking notice of each other's presence . Everytime you dropped the broom , or the other person bumped his head on the bar , the two of you would freeze , and go around counter clockwise . It was like a game of hide and seek . The air was thick and filled with tension . Both of you felt the presence of another being in the room , but the two of you were too afraid to actually do something about it .

 

Several times , you peered up from the counter , eyes darting back and forth to detect any movements . None .

 

After what seemed like ten minutes of crawling back and forth , you felt frustrated and convinced yourself that no one was there , and you were probably just hearing things . You stretched your body a bit and stood up from under the counter . But then you had forgotten about the broom you were holding near your feet and tripped on it , bringing the broom down with you as well .

 

"WRAHAAAAAAHHHHH !"

 

You made some kind of hoarse sound as you landed smack into a warm body , the broom smacking his face hard and knocking down the person with you . Your body was on top of his , and your hands were on either side of you . You looked up with wide eyes again and heard coughing . 

 

Omo .. I did it .. I actually caught him ..! SUCCESS ! YEAHH GO _______ !

 

But just when you were about to celebrate your small accomplishment inside your head , you felt a strong hand clamp shut over your mouth and pulled you into his chest . You hadn't realized he had already pushed you off . As a reflex , your hands immediately shot up and you tried to pry the male's hands off , but he was too strong. 

 

"MMMPHHHFHGRLETMEGO !!"

 

He dragged you into one of the booths , the table obstructing the two of you from anybody's view .

 

"Don't . Say . A . Word ." He whispered harshly . It was dark , so you couldn't see his face , but his piercing eyes were definitely prominent in the dark , glaring at you .

 

Your eyes widened again . Why did this voice seem so familiar ?

 

Have I heard him somewhere before ?

 

But you immediately pushed the thought out of your head and focused on getting out of the lock the shadow man had on you . Man , he was strong . You were no match for him , so as a last resort , you bit one of his fingers , hard .

 

"AISHH !"

 

The intruder pulled his hand back . You were able to take a deep breath before his other hand clamped over your mouth . He was right next to you , and you could feel his breath on your ear .

 

"Listen to me , you damn girl ." He whispered harshly into your ear . "Keep , your damn , mouth ,  shut , and stay still or we'll both be dead , you got it ?!"

 

You were about to protest and fight back again until you heard the back entrance door open and slam shut . You felt Kai's grip on you tighten .

 

"I think I saw him in here boss ." A deep voice called out . "I'll stand outside here , and keep watch for you , you go inside and tell me if you see hi- ."

 

"Don't tell me what to do ." Another voice snapped fiercely . "Say something like that again and I'll have your head on a platter ."

 

You recognized that voice immediately . It was the voice of one of the men you saw on the television once     -Insoong..?- on the news channel , something about being convicted of a murder . He was let off scot free but you could easily tell that he was guilty .

 

" .." The man who was holding you cursed , and pulled you closer to him while he inched back towards the seat , trying to hide away from whoever was now in the ice cream shop . This time , you remained still and obeyed the man, as you heard chairs toppling over and tables turning . Your heart was in your throat and you felt like you couldn't breathe as you saw a foot near the table you were . You felt the body behind you tense up and his grip on your arm got even tighter . You let out a small squeak due to the pain and regretted it immediately . The feet in front of you that was walking away stopped , and turned around , now heading towards you . 

 

You felt tears leaking out of your eyes and your body started wracking with quiet sobs . 

 

Please , please , please don't come .. please ..

 

You silently prayed for you and the stranger , whoever he was . If possible , you squeezed your eyes shut tighter and held in your breath , crossing your fingers and thinking of every prayer and glimpse of hope you could muster up . And as if your prayers had been answered , another voice called out . 

 

"Hey boss ! I think I just saw him run out the other door ."

 

"What are you waiting for ? Go get him !" Insoong snarled .

 

The two left quickly and immediately the intruder released his hand and pushed you out of the way . You landed on your hands and knees and quickly got up . Before the intruder could run out of the place , you quickly grabbed his wrist and spun him around , only to have the biggest shock of your life .

 

Kai ....

 

But all he did was give you a weird look and a glare before yanking his wrist out of your grasp and running out of the shop .