Chapter Twenty-Three

What is Love.

Ever since that incident between you and Kai , it seemed as though he had been trying to redeem himself for your eyes . The two of you had obviously gotten closer , but every now and then Kai would revert back to his jerk self . You didn't blame him though , you appreciated the fact that he was trying his best to change . As of the moment , the two of you were at the mall . It was Kai's way of saying sorry for snapping at you yesterday for putting too much salt in his chicken soup .

 

As the two of you walked around , looking at the stores , you felt a little hungry so you and Kai stopped at the food court to replenish your hunger . You put down your things at one of the booths and headed for one of the lines . Kai wanted Panda Express while you were craving for McDonalds so the two of you separated and went into your respective lines .

 

You rushed up to the McDonald's line , seeing that it was quite long , and you managed to place a spot behind a little boy and his mother . You heard loud footsteps behind you , but you paid no attention to it . Suddenly , you felt a tap on your shoulder and turned around to meet eyes with what seemed like a middle aged man .

 

"Excuse me babe , but , you just cut me ." He said in a heavy accent . You couldn't place where he was from , but he definitely didn't look Asian at all .

 

You blinked a couple of times , registering in what he just said for you . When you finally understood what he meant , you shook your head .

 

"Aniyo , no I was not . I came in line first and then you walked up behind me ."

 

The man scoffed and ran a hair through his greasy blonde hair , which looked like it hadn't been washed in ages . He walked up closer to you and you stiffened . He curled a finger of his into your hair and pulled your face closer . Your eyes were as big as saucers , as he leaned in dangerously close .

 

"Now babe , there's no need to lie . I know you want me ." He whispered in a sultry voice . You shivered and tried to pull away from his grasp but he had a tight grip on your wrist as well . As he was about to lean in to kiss you , his head was jerked backwards and he was pulled away from you . Kai then proceeded to push him to the ground before going up to check if you were okay . You could see the concern in his eyes .

 

"Hey ! What the hell do you think you're doing ? I called her first !"

 

Kai raised an eyebrow and wrapped an arm around your waist . "I'm sorry , I don't think you have the right to call dibs on my girl ."

 

A small audience had gathered around the scene and you were beyond humiliation . You covered your face in your hands to avoid looking at anyone as Kai pulled you out of the place and back to the seats . He pulled out your chair for you and leaned down .

 

"Stay here ." He said softly . "Just scream if he or anyone else comes back , okay ?"

 

You nodded and watched his retreating back go back to the Panda Express line as he got his order . He arrived back with two trays and placed one in front of you . "I don't know what you like , but I just got you chow mein , orange chicken , and some steamed broccoli . Is that alright ?"

 

"Yeah that's fine . Thank you Kai-sshi ."

 

"Yep ."

 

The two of you ate in a comfortable silence , with you making the occasional slurping noises as you sipped the lemonade Kai had also gotten for you . As you were eating , you tilted your head and thought of things you needed to buy at your trip to the mall . You had orignally thought of buying more clothes , but you had enough for now , and you didn't want to bore Kai with you shopping for girls clothes , even though he promised to do whatever you wanted to today . 

 

 

"Oh !" You jolted up when you remembered something .

 

"What ?"

 

"I still need to buy a cellphone charger for my phone .." You pouted as you retrieved your dead phone from your bag , showing it to Kai . He picked it up and tossed it up a couple of times before getting out of his chair and walking off in another direction without saying anything .

"Yah ! Wait for me !"

 

You hurridely gathered your things at the food court where the two of you were at , tossed your trash away and ran after him . The two of you entered a cellphone store . As you wondered around , checking out the new models of smartphones they had , Kai went up to the front desk and started explaining things . You heard him call out your name and you looked up . He beckoned to you and you came up to the front desk as well . "This is her ." Kai placed his hand on your back and pushed you softly towards the counter . You recognized the guy behind it ! 

 

His eyes widened big again like last time and you had to stifle another laugh .

 

"Y-Yah ! It's you again !" He said loudly and pointed an accusing finger at you . Kai thumped his head . "What ? Oh , yeah I mean .. sorry . Nice to meet you I'm Kyungsoo ." He held out his hand and you firmly shook it .

 

"So .." You began . "What did you need me for ?"

 

"Oh ! Here ." He went under the counter and retrieved two phones . He laid them out side by side . They were both iPhone 4's , one black and one white . "Just choose one ." He told you .

 

"Mwoh ? For me ?" You pointed to yourself .

 

"Yeah , for you ."

 

"I .. I don't think I can afford that . All I need is a new charger for my old one ." You replied back .

 

"It's on the job . I owe Kai one , so yeah this is the least I can do ."

 

You turned over to Kai and he just nodded , directing his head towards the phones . He wanted you to choose one as well , so carefully , your hand hovered over the black phone , but as you were about to pick it up , you moved over to the white one .

 

"U-Uh .." You bit your lip as you tried to decide which one you wanted . Out of nowhere , a hand grabbed the white one and picked it up . It was Kai .

 

"Yah ! What are you doing ?" He ignored you and continued to type something in the phone . When he was done , he placed it into your palm . "She'll choose this one ." He said to D.O and the said man nodded . Kai slung an arm over your shoulder and walked you out of the store . You opened up your new phone and maneuevered around , trying to get used to the new format .

 

"What exactly did you do when you took the phone ?" You asked , trying to find if he had type in or did something to your new phone .

 

"I put my number in ."

 

"Eh ?" You tapped on the contacts button and scrolled through , and like he said , his name was right there .

 

Kai (;

 

You shook your head at his silliness . Of course he would put a wink .

 

"What are you laughing at ?" He asked . You just smiled . "No , it's nothing . It's nothing ." He just shrugged and the two of you laughed .

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

By the time the two of you had finished shopping , you were exhausted . Your arms were filled with different sorts of bags with their content varying from clothes to just plain odd trinkets and cellphone charms . You and Kai had walked here early in the morning , but with all the baggage holding you down , you guys decided to take the local bus home .

 

As the two of you entered the bus , you were knocked down and you fell on your knees . The amount of people in the vehicle was more than the capacity and you could barely stand up as more people crowded around you . You looked around on the floor , trying to find Kai's sneakers so you could crawl towards him . You felt someone grab the collar of your shirt and pulled you up . You turned around to meet eyes with Kai . Your face flushed in embarasssment .

 

"T-Thanks .."

 

"No problem ." He whispered back .  

 

As the ride continued , you and Kai were separated again as the people in the bus started shuffling and moving around . A woman bumped into you and you fell backwards , accidentally landing in the lap of a stranger . You jumped up immediately and bowed down continuously .

 

"Omo ! I am so so so so sorry !" You kept on apologizing . The man chuckled . "It's alright ..... In fact , how about you stay here , you seem to be tired from standing all the time ."

 

"Wh-What ?!" You almost shouted , shocked at his behavior . Before you could say anything else , the man grabbed your waist with both of your hands and pulled you down into his lap again . He covered your mouth before you could scream and whispered into your ear . "Now , don't make a sound now okay sweetie ?" You were afraid , but you couldn't do anything but obey him . For a good ten minutes , you sat there , frozen and almost to tears . Your eyes frantically searched for Kai , but he was nowhere to be found . The ride to your house never seemed longer and without noticing , the man had his hand on your thigh , and it was slowly advancing towards the bottom of your skirt . You tried to shriek and thrash in your seat , but he pinched your arm sharpy and you stayed silent .

 

His thick chubby fingers advanced towards your skirt again and you squeezed your eyes shut , praying that someone would come and rescue you before it was too late . And as if God had answered your prayers , someone slapped the man's hands away from your legs and pulled you up . You landed softly onto Kai's chest and he pulled you so you were now behind him .

 

"Stay away from her ." He snarled at the man , who was just sitting there with a smug grin on his face . He crossed his arms and scoffed . "You don't have to worry about your lady at all there . She's barely got anything anyways ."

 

"SHUT UP." Kai shouted , earning some glances and whispers from around . The man held his hands back defensively with a mock grin . Kai grumbled some more curse words before turning to you .

 

"Are you alright ." You nodded faintly and he grunted as a sign of approval . The two of you went home that day and acted as if nothing had happened , but deep down , you were thankful that Kai went with you .