Chapter Nineteen

What is Love.

Another day of school.

 

Just great. At least summer is coming soon! 

 

When you thought of summer, you thought of the time your appa had left. You shook your head and pulled a smile.

 

No, I can't let that ruin my day.

 

You couldn't stop thinking that Baekhyun bought clothes for you. I should thank him today by buying him something later after school.

 

You saw Kai and Baekhyun walking around school with Yoomi and the rest of their gang, but you didn't want to come up to them, after the warning Kai had given you. Baekhyun gave you one before school started as well, so you made sure to keep your distance from them.

 

You hung out with Eunha the entire day and she kept bugging you about your life with Baekhyun and Kai. She asked you about their habits and interests, but come to think about it, you didn't know anything about them.

 

"Really, nothing at all ?"

 

You pondered a bit as you sipped your banana milk. "Yeah , I don't really talk to them. It's like we're living in the same house, but we're just strangers. Kinda like renting the house, you know? They told me not to bother them, so I don't, and in return, they don't bother me."

 

"OMO!" Eunha suddenly shrieked . "Do you know what this means ?! They're distancing themselves from you because they're finally realizing their feelings for you  ________! Omonaaaa, I am SO jealous of you!"

 

You chuckled at her love fantasies. "As if unnie! I really doubt they're doing anything. Besides, even if they were in 'love' with me," You made quotes around the word love, "I don't like them back."

 

"Ahhh, that's what they all say my good friend," Eunha draped an arm over your back and pulled you closer so she could whisper in your ear. "..until something happens." She made an attempt to wink and the both of you just laughed at her silliness.

 

Afterschool, you saw Baekhyun waiting at the front gates, but you didn't dare come close to him. You stared at him and smiled. He saw you, and for a second, your eyes locked with his, but he didn't react. You secretely pouted and walked home by yourself. 

 

I wonder who he's waiting for, Yoomi?

 

I'm sorry ______. I can't afford to walk home with you or smile back at you. People will get suspicious and I don't want you to get hurt by them.

 

You ran home and quickly got dressed into the new outfit you got yesterday. You glanced at the mirror and spun around in a circle. You smiled, fixed your hair, and left the house.You were still really grateful Baekhyun spent his money to buy you new clothes, and they were pretty fashionable as well. You felt even more confident now.

 

You haven't eaten cake for a while, so you decided to go to a bakery and buy a small cake as a thank you for buying you these clothes.

 

I wonder what flavor Baekhyun likes. You thought, and suddenly, you remembered when Baekhyun bought ice cream. Chocolate Chip.

 

"Can I please get a small chocolate chip cake?" You pointed at the display.

 

While waiting, you looked at the menu and admired the beautiful, decorated cakes. "This cake looks really pretty. I wish someone could get this for me on my birthday." You mumbled while pouting.

 

Ding Dong.

 

You turned around to see Yoomi, Baekhyun, and Kai walking in the shop. You were a bit surprised and stood up, but you remembered the warning. Pretend that you don't know Baekhyun. You sat down again and pretended to concentrate on the menu. Kai immediately went to the restroom. You could feel the stares that Yoomi was giving you from behind your back. She frowned and looked at you curiously.

 

"Oppa. Wasn't that the outfit I bought yesterday for you?" 

 

"I don't know." Baekhyun replied, not looking at his girlfriend.

 

"Don't tell me that you asked me to buy them for her." Yoomi glared angrily when Baekhyun didn't reply.

 

She walked over to you, but Baekhyun pulled her back. "Don't."

 

You felt awkward and confused. She was the one who chose out these clothes for me? Right now, all you wanted to do was leave the store. You were a bit mad that Baekhyun asked her. You thought he had chosen these clothes personally for you, not Yoomi, and especially not through lies.

 

Yoomi obviously didn't listen and yanked her arm away. She was jealous that Baekhyun bought clothes for another girl. She was even more angry when that girl was you.

 

"Why are you wearing the clothes I chose?" Yoomi yelled. 

 

You didn't know what to say because even you didn't know that she chose these clothes. 

 

"I don't even know what Baekhyun has even gotten into. I don't understand why he would buy clothes for you. I mean what are you to him? From what I can see, he looks down on you. Maybe he just pities you." Yoomi smirked. Baekhyun couldn't even believe the words that were coming out of Yoomi's mouth. Baekhyun was disgusted by her words. He wanted to slap her, but he knew he couldn't. Somewhere in his heart, he didn't want to lose Yoomi.

 

You stared at Baekhyun for an answer, for some help, but all he did was stare at you blankly. Baekhyun, I thought you were better than this.

 

"I don't care what Baekhyun thinks of me. For your information, I didn't even know you chose these clothes. If I knew, I wouldn't have even worn them in the first place."

 

Your words were even more hurtful than Yoomi's. Just because Yoomi chose them then you wouldn't want to wear them anymore? The _____ I know would have been more considerate than this... Baekhyun thought.

 

You were angry and all you wanted to do was slap Yoomi, but you couldn't, no in front of Baekhyun.

 

Yoomi frowned and she stiffened even more. "If you don't want the clothes then give them back. I mean, my taste is pretty fashionable, but I guess you don't know what fashion is. These clothes aren't even made for you! Look how ugly you are in these clothes!" She walked toward you and pointed her fingers at you. You felt her finger poking your shoulder, and each time, you stumbled back.

 

Baekhyun stared at Yoomi like she was some devil. Yoomi, is this how you really are?

 

You didn't bother reacting back, so you allowed Yoomi to keep insulting you. "Yah! Answer me!" She slapped you in the face. "How many times do I have to keep seeing you? Everytime I see you, I get so pissed off! UGH!" She walked to Baekhyun and whined, "Oppa, let's leave this place. I hate seeing her!" 

 

You couldn't believe she slapped you, especially right in front of Baekhyun. I guess you're not scared of what Baekhyun thinks of you, huh? You placed your palm on your cheek and looked at Baekhyun. He stared back at you and from his eyes, you could tell that he wanted to say something, but he couldn't...not with Yoomi here. 

 

Before Yoomi and Baekhyun left the shop, Kai returned. He had been watching the entire argument. He blocked their exit and eyed Baekhyun in disappointment.

 

"Hey Kai! What are you doing " Yoomi waved, acting like nothing had happened.

 

Kai gave her a death glare and muttered, "Just because you chose them, doesn't mean that she can't wear it. And you know what? From what I can see, she looks perfectly fine in them. You can't even compare to her."

 

"Ahh!! Seriously! Shut up! I'm going crazy!! Baekhyun, hurry let's leave!!" She yelled and yanked her hair.

 

After their departure, Kai walked up to you. "Thanks, I guess," You whispered.

 

Before Kai could say something, the employee gave you the cake. "Let's go."

 

"What's the cake for?" Kai asked.

 

You couldn't tell him that it was a thank you present for Baekhyun, not after what happened. "I don't know. I just wanted to eat sweets." You turned to him and smiled, "Wanna eat it with me?"

 

He nodded and both of you walked home together. Thanks Kai. I guess you're not so bad afterall.

 


 

"NOO!!! I FORGOT I HAD HOMEWORK!!" You yelled. You rushed to your room and quickly grabbed all your materials.

 

You were too busy concentrating on your studies to see that Baekhyun was home. Your head rocked back and forth, trying to keep awake.

 

Only a little more. You can do this ______.

 

After your last assignment, you knocked out at the desk. 

 

Kai noticed that there was still light emmitting from your room. Is she still doing homework? He knocked but you didn't answer, so he decided to open your door.

 

He saw your head on a pile of paper and a pencil in your hand. Pabo. Why did you do your homework so late?

He wanted to tuck you to bed, but he couldn't. He wasn't fully comfortable with you. He caused you too much pain, and he still didn't really like you, yet he could feel his heart loosening up to you. I don't know what our future would be like, but I'm sure will be interesting. 

 

He left your room and called Baekhyun to carry you to bed.

 

Baekhyun stared at you and he smiled. Sorry ______ for everything. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. In replacement for Yoomi, I'll say sorry for you. I don't know what Yoomi was thinking, but she really changed. I don't know how much longer I can keep up with her, especially when she's harming you. I don't know why, but everytime she says something hurtful to you, I could feel my heart throbbing in pain. What's that suppose to mean? I never felt this way before. Is it only me or are you feeling the same too ______? 

 

Kai noticed Baekhyun staring at you for a long time. He couldn't help but feel a bit of jealousy. Aish what are you thinking Kai? You hate her, don't you?