A Quarrel, an Enlightenment

16 Hours a Day Being a Guy

Thank you for subscribing:

Yury_lovely

Xiao_BiMing

Amrina

JunTrinaBrightSide

JumpIkuto

Beylaa

Myungie_Channie


 

“So, when do you plan to kiss Kai?” Taemin demanded as soon as I stepped on my room. I glared at him, irritated. Can’t I get time to breathe?

“Taemin, I just got back from school!” I hissed, tossing my bag on the bed before plumping myself down on it. Taemin frowned. I swear if he kept that on, he would no longer be able to demand to be called Taeby anymore. Too many wrinkles.

“Which is the precise reason why I asked you this now.” Taemin hissed back. “I have the right to know if my client had put any effort to fix the situation or did she just wasting her time leisuring around?”

I glared dangerously at him. Who did he think he was for talking like that to me?

“First of all, let’s stop bringing Kai into this. I’m tired to remind you that I don’t want him. Why can’t it get through your brain that I’m entitled to my own choice?” I began, my voice slightly trembled with fury. “And secondly, you have no right to judge whether I put effort or not. You dragged me into this situation, remember?” I whispered angrily. “So don’t go around telling me to put more effort to fix the mess you created.”

“Can we just stop bringing about the inception and start focusing on the solution?” he replied angrily. “I’m so tired having to put up with you blaming me every single time!” he was already flying, his wings fluttered quickly as he spoke.

“Because you are the one to blame!” I almost screamed. “You brought me here, telling me to choose between those guys, so why don’t you just let me choose myself? Don’t ever again shove people like Kai in front of me, then we are good.” I glared, also standing out. We glared at each other for a few seconds before Taemin broke it, speaking with a dangerous tone.

“People like Kai?” he whispered. “So who do you think you are? The high and mighty Jihye? For your information, Jihye, you are not that grand either. You can stop acting and talking like you are above them all, and then we are good.” he replied, his wings flustered really fast now, and I saw something in his eyes. What was it? Purple?

Taemin blinked, and the shade of purple I thought I saw in his eyes had gone. He landed on the table, refusing to look my way.

“I think we both are tired. We should talk again later.” he mumbled before disappearing again. I glared at the spot where he was just disappeared, my blood still boiling with fury. That’s so Taemin. Leaving when we are in an important conversation. Or dispute. Whatever.

“Go away, I don’t need you!” I shouted to the nothingness with a hoarse voice, hoping that somehow that irresponsible cupid would hear me and then we could wrangle again. But there was no sign of his presence at all, and I laid on the bed, pouting.

Trying it with Kai? I thought angrily. That might work if he even willing to look at me in the eyes or talk to me. But no. He just had  to act like a jerk he was, pretending that I was invisible.

An image of him exiting the class without even waiting for me or even Sehun crossed my mind, and I unconsciously frowned.

I felt tired.

_____

 

Let’s meet up. That was the sound of Hoya’s message for me that Thursday morning. I raised an eyebrow at the text. Seriously? I haven’t heard from Taemin for two days and Hoya suddenly decided to come back into my life after disappearing even since he left school?

Suspicious.

I frowned a little at the thought of Taemin. He really hadn’t showed up ever since our argument, not that it was unusual for him to disappear. I just felt- weird, not having him around after the quarrel.

Is he really mad? I unconsciously thought but soon shook the thought out of my mind. Don’t bother to care about it, Jihye. You are not at fault. He is.

But you are, right? A part of me said. All you did was blaming him for anything.

I pouted at the thought and quickly busying myself on Hoya’s message. I shall not think or worry about that cupid. For now.

What for? I replied him.

The answer for Hoya came after a while.

Just to meet up. Why? You can’t?

I rolled my eyes. It’s so typical Hoya.

It’s not that. I have school, so will this afternoon be okay?

I stared at the simple ‘okay’ Hoya had sent. Oh well, maybe an escape from school will do me good. I took my bag and swung the door open just to see Kai walking across my door. His eyes widened at the sight of me, while Sehun and Suho smiled automatically.

“Hey.” Kai finally said with a curt smile.

“Hey.” I replied, locking the door while the three waited for me. “Why are you with Sehun and Suho?”

“Oh, I came to borrow his book. Sehun kept forgetting to bring it for me.” he replied, still with a distant manner.

I simply nodded, and then Sehun suddenly spoke.

“Hey, Jihoon! Can I borrow your Physics book? I could use it to study.” he asked. I stopped halfway from inserting the key inside my bag and used it to open the room again.

“Sure. Just wait a second.” I replied, walking hastily to get the book before locking the room again, giving the book to Sehun.

“Why do you need it anyway? Don’t you make your own note?” I asked, walking with them towards the dorm exit.

“Yeah, and he could use mine if he didn’t have one.” Suho butted in, feigning hurt.

“I just want a comparison, and I remembered that I needed it just a while ago.” he explained to Suho, while the latter laughed.

“Okay, okay. No need to explain.” Suho laughed. Kai kept quiet during our conversations and I threw a glance at him, frowning.

“What did you borrow from Sehun, Kai?” I said, and he snapped his head, as if he was just taken off from his daze.

“Oh. It’s English.” he replied shortly. And for the second time, I had nodded, running out of the reason to lengthen the conversation again.

I pouted slightly. Well, who cares? It’s not like I desperately need to talk with him.

Certainly not.

_____

 

After bidding goodbye to the guys including the mute Kai, I quickly went to change, and when I arrived at the school gate, Hoya was already there, waiting while leaning on the wall. He gazed up when he noticed me and smiled, a very rare expression on his face. I couldn’t help to smile back. This brand-new Hoya is pleasing.

“Did you wait long?” I asked as he got up, leading me to walk beside him to his car. He shook his head, opening the passenger door for me.

“Where are we going?” I glanced at him, the car moved quickly towards the main street and Hoya hadn’t even made a single talk.

Old habits die hard, I guess.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked back, much to my irritation. If I hadn’t remembered wrong, he was the one who asked me to meet him, wasn’t he?

“Well, what did you want to meet me for? Maybe that could be a clue on where we should be going.” I replied cynically with a question again, almost lost all my patience. Hoya gave me a short glance before focusing on driving again.

“Have you eaten?” he asked with reconcilement tone. I shook my head, giving a hopeful gaze at him. Fortunally, I wasn’t disappointed.

“Then let’s go to eat first, and then we can decide.” he made a sharp turn and went left, where the restaurant and café rowing at the side of the road. I scanned the delicious looking food at the display glass which much appetite, discreetly throwing a grateful gaze to Hoya.

Okay, I’ll admit.

I am stingy.

No, not stingy; more like economical minded, yeah, that’s more like it. Anyways, I’d rather not go to a fancy restaurant and waste my money on something I could buy in half price at most of the cheaper restaurant in Seoul. The most extravagant I could do was going with Hyoyeon regularly and ordered a cake. But hey, they weren’t expensive and it was necessary to keep my social and such.

And this suddenly lovely cousin of mine took me to one of these fancy restaurants. One of the restaurant that looked really pretty, decorated with pastel color, caught my gaze; and Hoya, noticing my stare, turned to park in front of the restaurant.

“Let’s eat here.” he simply stated to which I nodded cheerfully.

This day could be good after all.

_____

 

Hoya watched as I turned the lock, revealing the inside of my plain house. I could see that he scanned the room before entering; an unreadable expression was in his face. But if he had any comment, he didn’t say it. Instead, he followed me to my so-called living room tossing himself on the tiny couch.

We had given up trying to find a fun place to waste our time. And it wasn’t like we had that many time to begin with. It was already quite late when we finished eating, and Hoya was the one who came up with the idea to go to my house instead.

“It must be fun, living by yourself.” he commented, watching as I went to the kitchen area, preparing two cups of tea for us.

“If I could choose, I wouldn’t live alone.” I replied bitterly. I was facing my back to him so he wouldn’t be able to see my expression; but apparently he could catch the bitterness from my tone.

“Sorry.” he mumbled.

“Not your fault.” I replied with a fake cheerfulness, placing the tea gently on the table. Hoya mumbled thank you and sipped the tea slowly, examining my expression with a hesitant stare.

“I shouldn’t have brought it up.” he insisted. I merely made a stiff smile before taking a seat, right across him.

“So what is it you wanted to talk about?” I asked him after finishing my tea in a shot. “Because obviously you didn’t ask to meet because you missed me.” I grinned.

“Of course not.” he quickly refused. A frown automatically formed on my forehad as he uttered the offensive tone. Seriously, there was no need to reject the idea so harshly. Jeez.

“So what is it about?” I demanded again, this time with a lot less civility. Hoya sipped his tea again, taking his time.

“Taemin visited me yesterday.” he began, and I almost couldn’t resist a triumphant smirk. I knew it. I knew it must have had something to do with Taemin. That cupid still needed me to pass whichever silly test he always failed on.

“So, what did he say?” I asked arrogantly, a huge smile was plastered on my face.

“He seemed to be under the impression that you and Kai has a thing, which you always refused to admit.” he stared at me thoroughly, examining my reaction. The smile quickly subsided from my face as soon as it emerged.

“Not Kai again.” I groaned. “Please tell Taemin he could date Kai if he liked him that much.”

“No, told him yourself.” Hoya said rigidly. “Taemin also said something about both of you not talking to each other. What is this? An elementary school?” he nagged, frowning at me judgingly.

“Well, you tell it to him.” I attacked back. “Because apparently he was the one who came to you first when he could easily talk to me himself.”

“It’s not because he didn’t want to talk to you.” Hoya sighed. “It’s just because he thought that we could understand each other better since we have the same experience.”

“And why is that?” I raised an eyebrow. Nothing he had said made any sense to me. “Because I don’t see you turning into a girl. Or had you-?”

“Stop attacking me, Jihye.” Hoya cut me tiredly. “It’s not about me. Not about Taemin. It’s merely about you. And we take this hardship to talk to you not because we want to meddle, but simply because we care.” he continued. There was a sincere worried expression on his face, and that was what softened me down.

“Okay.” I said with a low voice, still slightly irritated. “But I don’t like Kai, nor does he like me. I told Taemin that.” I stated with a sour face. “Several times.” I added again, emphasizing the last two words.

“Really?” Hoya raised an eyebrow. “Why don’t you like him?”

“Do you even have to ask?” I asked in disbelief. “He is everything I dislike in a guy, and I must be crazy if I want to be with someone like him. Seriously Hoya, if I had to love, it wouldn’t be with someone like Kai. If I was to have a relationship, Kai would be the last choice I would make.” I stopped there, taking my breath exasperatedly. “How many times should I make it clear to Taemin, or you, to make both of you understand? I dislike Kai.” I ended my speech, glaring at Hoya as if daring him to oppose my long statement. But the guy in front of me maintained his calm, sitting casually with both hands clasped together on his knees, all the while staring deeply at me as I spoke.

“It doesn’t matter.” Hoya said softly. “The only thing matters is how many times have you told it to yourself?”

“Meaning?” I whispered dangerously. “Why should I have to tell those things to myself when it's really my true feeling?” my voice raised slightly in a fury, but Hoya remained calm. It irked me so bad. Why was I the only one feeling emotional while Hoya was still able to keep his calm and all the same time pushing me to the corner?

“Taemin told me you kept talking about him.” Hoya gave an extremely intense stare this time.

“To despise him. Duh.” I frowned. That cupid seriously likes to spin the story upside down.

“That you just had to bring him up in every single conversation-”

“Because he’s just a perfect bad example. And seriously, it’s not in every single conversation.” I cut him, annoyed. But Hoya kept talking, as if he didn’t know, or simply didn’t care about my annoyance.

“And you felt lonely because he’s not talking to you anymore.” Hoya added. It did it. Lonely, seriously?

“Did that cupid tell you that?” I exploded. “I’m not lonely, okay? And whoever says that I am, need to get a brain check. I’m just concerned, is it wrong?” I frowned at my own statement. “No, wait, it wasn’ concern. It’s just- curiosity. Okay?” I could feel that my face burning red from anger, and that was when Hoya took the cue.

“Okay.” he smiled. “Should I take you back to the dorm? Or we could  just stay here, talking about anything that doesn’t relate to Kai?” he grinned.

I sat there, hesitated. Not going back to the dorm sounded tempting. I could really use a night away from the frustrating Kai, away from anything that could remind me of my problems.

“But I have class tomorrow morning. And if they found out-”

“They won’t.” Hoya cut reassuringly without I could even finish my sentence. “I would drop you back early in the morning and no one should find out. I was the great Hoya, remember?” he raised an eyebrow and I unconsciously smiled.

“You’re right.” I said slowly, grinning. “I almost forgot. But that means you should sleep here though. Or could you pick me up tomorrow real early?” I asked him, hesitated. Hoya scanned my living room ignorantly.

“I could sleep here.” he shrugged and then started to find a comfortable space as if he really was going to sleep there.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” I quickly opposed the ridiculous idea. “You can sleep in the bedroom with me. But I get the bed.” I grinned casually, heading to find the blanket for his layer.

“You are the one being ridiculous.” Hoya frowned. “I sleep here. End of discussion.”

“Don’t be that stiff.” I laughed at him, taking the blanket with me towards the bedroom; but Hoya stopped me first, grabbing my hand which was about to pull the handle.

“Give me that blanket.” he demanded; his voice deep and firm. Unconsciously, I handed him the blanket, feeling a bit intimidated. “I sleep outside, okay?” he added, this time with a much softer voice. Hoya made a satisfied smile when I nod timidly, and I could only watch as he set the blanket on the couch.

“What’s the matter anyway? We are cousins.” I murmured, feeling a bit offended by his firm rejection. Hoya got his hands off the bed, and stared at me deeply. I was the one who took away my gaze first, a little nervous.

“Later, Jihye. Maybe later.” he answered softly. I gave him a look and huffed, already got over my nervous state.

“Don’t bother.” I rolled my eyes. “It’s not like I beg to sleep in the same room with you. Jeez.” Hoya laughed at my irritation as I headed to the bedroom again.

“You wash after me, okay?” I ordered bossily. Hoya hummed his approval, his gaze was still on me closely.

“Hey, Jihye?” he called, and I glanced at him, amused.

“Don’t you feel awkward? Calling me Jihye all the while I look like this?” I grinned, pointing on my guy body. Hoya shook his head, laughing softly. But soon, his eyes turned serious again.

“No, seriously.” He began. “You need to listen. Sometimes we can like someone we don’t suppose to, or someone we don’t want to fall to. And those times, we would try desperately, trying to cover our feelings, pretending that we don’t feel anything special. But when we do that, we’re lying to ourselves, while the result remains. We are still in love with those people, no matter how much we want to deny it.”

At that rate, my expression had automatically darkened again. In the end we are having this conversation again after all.

“Don’t tell me you are trying to bring up about Kai again.” I grumbled, but Hoya shook his head.

“No, I say this because I know how it feels. It hurts, Jihye, the longer you hold the feelings in.” I was so surprised at his confession that I even forgot to keep my annoyed expression. I never saw Hoya as someone who could be brokenhearted over   a girl. He always seemed like an ignorant person.

“But in my case I have no chance.” he continued bitterly. “But you still have hope. So don’t waste it.” he said sincerely; his face was dead serious. The rest of his words sunk in my ear as I taken aback by his first statement. And before me realizing, I already asked him the thing which irked my curiosity the most.

“Why don’t you have the chance?”

Hoya frowned, displeased because the story ended up revolve around himself  instead of me. He landed his gaze at me, his face fell a bit with hurt.

“Just because.” he finally answered, and then shifted his gaze from me. Clearly, the conversation had over.


 

Congratulations to EXO for winning 'MAMA New Asian Artist Group Award', and SHINee for winning 'MAMA Best Dance Performance-Male Group.'

Hey, Taemin is here, okay? I should mention SHINee. xD

And congrats to everyone who gets the award too!