Epilogue

Big Bang

 

Row upon row of gravestones greeted Seungri as he walked along the rocky path.

Dressed in a light brown overcoat, Seungri continued walking, footsteps were heard in the middle of the graveyard with branches crackling under his weight. Except for the steps and the leaves being blown around by the wind, everywhere else there was pure silence

A few more minutes went by before Seungri came to a halt, standing motionless in front of the grave, keeping the silent grave company and thinking his thoughts.

Seungri wasn't aware of the time passing. It could have been five minutes or an hour, he wouldn't have known.

 He let the cold wind swiped at his face and ruffled his hair as he stared at the words on the tombstone.

Beloved Son

Jang Hyun-Seng

1989-2012

Seungri looked up at the bright sky and let out his breath. He was tired because he had just arrived back to Korea from Japan and Seungri was looking forward to going back home to get some sleep. But he could only do that after he had a talk with a certain someone he was waiting for to arrive.

Seungri heard footsteps behind him but he already knew who it would be.

After a few moments of silence, Seungri spoke, without tearing his sight away from the tombstone in front of him.

"Good Afternoon…President YG…"

The faintest of smiles crossed President YG’s lips.

 "Hello Seungri, glad to see you again after so long…."

"Yes, time flies…." Seungri said wearily. His words lingered in the air and died away, blown apart by the cool breeze.

President YG watched Seungri observantly for a while before he spoke.

"I believe that you have a purpose in meeting me other than visiting Hyun Seng. Am I right?” President YG began.

A moment of silence passed, in time Seungri nodded and spoke in a heavy voice. "Hyun Seng’s father just passed away and he left a will….”

President YG looked at the tombstone in front of him, then back at Seungri.

President YG let out a sigh that he hadn't meant to utter. "So…what did the will say?”

Seungri was terrified that his voice would crack when he spoke. The words tumbled out just above his breath. "Hyun Seng’s father believed that Hyun Seng was murdered.”

Seungi swallowed heavily, gathering all his strength to keep talking.

“Hyun Seng’s father was suspicious on the reason of Hyun Seng’s death and he hoped that I could bring a light to this matter.” Seungri spoke in a voice that was similar to his usual, but not quite there.

 “Why would Hyun Seng’s father approach you to solve this problem?” President YG asked calmly as he brought his right hand up to massage the bridge of his nose.

Seungri shrugged his shoulders in response but didn't say anything. He had no idea why Hyun Seng’s father would approach him to solve this problem and it was hard to explain why he wanted to grant Hyun Seng’s father’s last request. It wasn't really for Hyun Seng or Hyun Seng’s father, but more for himself.

Since Hyun Seng's death, Seungri would dream about the scene where he and Hyun Seng fell down the roof of that old YG building. After so many years, Seungri was dealing with this by distracting his mind from Hyun Seng and was keeping busy with his new lifestyle in Japan and Seungri academy.

Maybe, the sole reason why Seungri decided to grant Hyun Seng’s father’s request is to feel less guilty about this entire incident.

“What did you intend to do?" President YG asked quietly as he turned his head to look at Seungri.

"With your connections in the entertainment industry, I believe that you could find some information in this incident.” Seungri said calmly, finally looking at President YG.

President YG remained silent for a moment, thinking on Seungri’s request.

"I could do that," President YG answered, measuring his words carefully. "But, I have a suggestion."

"Since I am retiring," President YG continued after a moment's silence, "I hope that you could take over the role of the CEO as an undercover to investigate on Hyun Seng’s death. At the same time, I hope that Big Bang would reunite once again."

Seungri bit back his immediate refusal on President YG’s proposal on reuniting Big Bang by choking on air, gradually bringing himself to ask "You wanted me to forgive Tae Yang hyung, am I right?”

"Everyone makes mistakes…" President YG said in a tired voice causing Seungri bit his lip to prevent himself from speaking. “He may not have acted the right way that time. However, he got what he deserved and he had suffered for those, immensely.”

“Frankly speaking, Seungri, after so many years, Tae Yang still felt guilty…”

“Stop!” Seungri suddenly interrupted in a low fierce voice.

Seungri took a deep breath before he continued. But one breath could not conceal the rage in his voice.

 "He’s dead. President YG, Hyun Seng’s dead. I've done nothing. Nobody could have done anything to reverse this fact.”

 "Not even you."

Seungri didn't scream the words. Instead they came out in a lethal whisper that somehow, made it all the worse, and the second he saw the shock and hurt in President YG’s eyes, he felt a flicker of regret among the flames of rage.

There was no sharp reply or even a flash of anger. A fleeting shadow had crossed over President YG’s worn features, with only a glimmer of sadness remaining in his eyes.

"Is it that difficult to grant an old man’s tiny request?" President YG asked simply.

If President YG had wanted to say something to silence Seungri completely, that was the very sentence. Seungri bit his lips and avoided President YG's gaze.

“I understand that you may need some time to consider…" President YG said gently before he stuffed his hands in his pockets and started to walk away from Seungri.”However, it’s either big bang reunite once again or the deal is off.”

“Wait.” Seungri pleaded, unable to keep a hint of desperation from seeping into his voice.

President YG halted, and far too slowly, he turned around to face Seungri.

There was a long pause, and slowly Seungri regained control of himself, mastered his own breathing.

”Very well, I agree to your proposal. But, this must be between us! Swear it! Not even G Dragon hyung! I want your word!”

“My word, Seungri,” President YG sighed, looking at Seungri’s ferocious, anguished face. “If you insist…”

***

“Seungri! Seungri! Are you listening?"

Seungri pulled his eyes away from the glass of whisky to look at Dae Sung.

"Sorry, I guess that I’m just having a little jetlag…" Seungri replied as he rubbed at his tired eyes before he smiled reassuringly at Dae Sung.

Dae Sung looked at Seungri for a moment before he held up his own bottle of beer and took a deep gulp.

"So, how did President YG manage to convince you to come back to YG Entertainment?" Dae Sung asked.

Seungri didn't answer right away and took another, longer gulp of his drink.

“Let’s say that President YG appreciates a talent like me.” Seungri responded simply while his fingers toyed with the wine glass in his palm, tracing its fragile glass rims.

When Seungri didn't offer anything else, Dae Sung had to prompt him.

“That’s all?"

Seungri thought about it for a moment before lifting his gaze.

“President YG said plenty of things, but nothing is of great importance." Seungri replied before he took another gulp of his drink.

"If you say so…" Dae Sung replied hesitantly before draining his bottle.

“Whatever it is, it’s great that big bang is reunited once again.”

Seungri laughed at Dae Sung’s statement before the smile on his face slowly disintegrated as soon as he brought the glass of whiskey up to his lips.

Seungri couldn't help but wish that he was too.


To be continued.....