Not Any Easier

The Substitute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last time they shared a bed was when all hell started.

Now, here they were again and boy, so much had changed since then. Their lives had completely turned upside down, more than they ever thought of after that night. Nothing would ever be the same, more so than what they originally expected. And now, it was a matter of fixing up all the mess.

Kyuhyun was resting against the headboard of Sooyoung’s bed, barely moving so as not to jostle the baby sleeping on his chest. It was way past midnight now yet he was still wide awake. There were one too many thoughts bugging his head. He had quite the time learning how to feed Sun Jung, how to help her burp after and how to lull her to sleep. He wondered how Leeteuk had fared when he was the one learning and instantly, he wince, remembering the amount of pain his hyung was surely in.

Sooyoung was beside him yet a generous amount of space separated them. She was still awake, too, and was staring up at the ceiling. It had both hurt her and made her smile when she watched Kyuhyun cradle Sun Jung in his arms until she had slept. It hurt because it reminded her of how much she’d deprived Kyuhyun of the many chances to put his own daughter to sleep. It hurt because it made her think of how Leeteuk used to do it. It made her smile, though, because she knew, no matter how painful it was, that this was the way it was supposed to be.

“I should be mad at you.” His voice was soft, barely a whisper. “I am mad at you.”

“I know.”

“I should hate you too.” Kyuhyun turned his head, finding her still staring at the ceiling. “But I can’t.”

“Why not?” She asked; her voice monotonic. Leeteuk oppa probably hates me already. I hate myself. Why shouldn’t you?

“It was my fault you had to lie anyway.”

It was the truth. They both knew it. “Doesn’t change anything… but thanks.” I’m sorry.

“You’re welcome.” I’m sorry.

“You don’t want to put her in her crib?”

“Nah, I’m comfortable.” He waited a moment or two before he spoke again. “So what happens now?”

“Honestly?” Her voice weakens even more. “It depends.”

“Fair enough.” Kyuhyun sighed. “What happens to me and Sun Jung?”

Sooyoung was silent for a moment. “She’s your daughter. I’m not going to take that away from you again.”

“Thanks.” It made him a tad bit happier.

“You’re welcome.”

“How about Leeteuk hyung?” He dared himself to ask. “And you?”

A tear slid down the side of her face. “I don’t know.”

“Do you…” His hold on his daughter tightened a fraction. “Do you love him?”

“Too much it hurts.”

Sooyoung her side and faced the wall.

Kyuhyun didn’t need to look to know she was crying.

o-o-o-o-o

“I SAID GET OUT!”

“Sorry. I didn’t hear.” Heechul closed the door behind him, locking it for good measure. He placed the key to the room in the pocket of his jeans. “Get your out of that bed, hyung. You look too pitiful.”

“Am I not?” He sat up quickly, glaring at his friend. “I am pitiful, am I? You feel sorry for me, right?”

“Don’t act like you’re the only victim here.” The slightly younger man glared back, folding his arms over his chest. “Do you think you’re the only one hurt? How about Kyuhyun? How about Sooyoung?”

“DON’T.” Leeteuk yelled; his eyes narrowing even more. “

“Well, for you ‘cause you need to hear it, you .” He snapped. “You have every right to be mad at the world, hyung… but you can’t be like that forever.”

“Watch me.” The Super Junior leader challenged.

Heechul frowned. “Hyung.”

“I thought she loves… or loved me.” He shook his head miserably. “How could she love me and keep that a secret from me? It wouldn’t have hurt this much if it’s someone else… if it’s from another agency or someone I don’t know or hell, if it’s someone among Yunho, Key… but it’s Kyuhyun, Chul. How am I supposed to get over that? How am I supposed to forgive them? How am I supposed to be okay and pretend that nothing’s going to change?”

“Did it ever occur to you that they have their reasons? That you need to calm the down and talk to them?” The raven haired man questioned. “Did it ever occur to you to ask why Kyuhyun did why he did? That Sooyoung was so scared to lose you and that she genuinely believed Kyuhyun would rather

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter