Time to Face The Music

The Substitute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They never expected a scene that seemed so frazzled at first could look so… calming.

                Her eight sisters look on as Sooyoung busied herself, moving around her room and stuffing things either in her purse or in Sun Jung’s baby bag. All eight of them were dispersed all over the room and the look of relief was unmistakable on their faces as the tall brunette muttered on and on about not being dressed appropriately or possibly something. Leeteuk was taking her and Sun Jung out on a date and it usually wasn’t that much big of a deal. But after the supposed bout of depression she had gone through recently, they all knew that this date was an immediate necessity.

“Soo…” Jessica finally took it upon herself to speak when her best friend for how many years stood for the nth time in front of the full-length mirror, getting unnecessarily anxious about her appearance. “You look great, honey. Stop worrying.”

“What If I’m underdressed? Or overdressed?” The younger woman chewed on her lower lip, worrying the soft, sensitive flesh.

Tiffany had to roll her eyes at that. “You’re wearing a white dress. What could possibly go wrong with that? It’s perfect for any occasion.”

                Sooyoung sighed, looking at her reflection once more. She was clad in a strapless, ruffled, off-white casual dress that ended midway down her thighs. The waistline of the garment hugged the slim frame many mothers envied. How could she go back to being so slim after giving birth to such a healthy baby girl?  Sooyoung had paired the dress with the simple khaki-coloured sandals that were usually going to be feet-friendly especially to a new, young mother. Her long hair made her look more mature, made her look radiant as it cascaded up until the mid of her back in soft waves.

“You look great, unnie. I promise.” Seohyun chirped from her place on the bed, smiling as Taeyeon’s cooing finally got some reaction from Sun Jung.

“That’s my girl.” Taeyeon smiled triumphantly, gently patting her forefinger on the baby’s nose.

Sooyoung shook her head, rolling her eyes at herself. “I guess I’m panicking too much.”

“You are so just relax.” Sunny reprimanded her gently; happy with how Sooyoung seemed to have gotten back to her usual self. “But then again, with a boyfriend like Teuk oppa, I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to look breath-taking all the time.”

                As if on cue, the doorbell echoed throughout the dorm. Yuri excused herself to go answer the door while the rest of the girls helped assure Sooyoung by going over the list of the things that Sun Jung could possibly need during the day out. Grasping the doorknob, SNSD’s black pearl had expected to find only Leeteuk standing there when she was greeted by the sight of two men.

“Teuk oppa.” She greeted with a smile, smiling at the other man though a questioning look grazed her eyes. “Heechul oppa?”

“This idiot over here insisted that he should hitch a ride with me to come and see Sica.” Leeteuk thumbed to the man standing behind him, who was now scowling at the back of his head. “He forgot to remember that I won’t be around to bring him back to the dorm later.”

“Yah!” Heechul exclaimed, pushing past him to get inside the dorm. “Why are you talking to me like that? You’re only one week older!”

“Older still being the operative word.” He rolled his eyes as he stepped inside the dorm, making a beeline for Sooyoung’s room with Yuri and Heechul behind him.

“Hey, oppa.” Sooyoung straightened up once he entered the room; a bright smile lighting up her face.

Leeteuk automatically smiled back as he walked over to her. It was good to see her happy again. “Hey, Soo.” Dropping a kiss on Sun Jung’s forehead after dropping one on his girlfriend’s lips, he smiled as recognition filled the baby’s gaze. “Hey there, princess.”

“You guys are so adorable!” Hyoyeon squealed from the corner of the room. “You two should really consider having another baby!”

                If it was at all humanly possible, all adult occupants of the room blinked at the statement. It didn’t help how Sooyoung and Leeteuk were blushing profusely while the seven other girls all stared pointedly at Hyoyeon, silently reminding the Dancing Queen that Leeteuk and Sooyoung’s life was very much non-existent ever since the beginning. Everyone else had to force normality when Heechul laughed out loud from his spot by Jessica’s side. For a moment, a look of realization flashed across Hyoyeon’s face before she mouthed an apology to Leeteuk and Sooyoung.

“Sun Jung’s still a baby.” Yoona managed to say quickly, narrowly avoiding stammering in her haste to save the situation.

“It’s still too early.” Heechul managed to agree soon after he recovered enough. “But maybe you could try having twins in the future?”

“My daughter shouldn’t hear things like this!” Leeteuk made a face as he carried Sun Jung with one arm, covering one of her small ears with his free hand.

The slightly younger man snickered. “She wouldn’t understand a thing. One day, though, you’re gonna have to explain to her how she came to be. Besides, I think she’d love to have siblings to play with.”

“We’re getting out of here!” He sighed overdramatically, causing all the girls to burst out in laughter. Waving his friends goodbye, Leeteuk and Sooyoung exited the room and, subsequently, the dorm.

“I’m really sorry about Hyo, oppa.” Sooyoung whispered as soon as they were out of the dorm and heading for the parking lot. “She should’ve been more careful… I’ll talk to her later, I prom–”

Leeteuk stopped in his tracks, carefully turning to face her as Sun Jung was beginning to peacefully fall asleep in his arms. “Soo, don’t worry about it. Hyo and Heechul were right. We’re bound to have more children one day.” His trademark dimpled smile appeared on his face when she blushed even redder than earlier. “Since I wasn’t able to tell you earlier with all that happened in the dorm… You look beautiful, Soo.”

She could feel her skin heating up as the blush refused to leave her face. “Thank you, oppa.”

“I really am lucky.” A dreamy, content and happy smiled graced his lips before he began walking again; Sooyoung catching up with him and her daughter after a moment or two.

“Where are we going?” Sooyoung asked as soon as they were in the parking lot and Sun Jung was safely secured in her car seat and the said car seat was attached just as securely to the back seat.

“Somewhere.” He replied, grinning when she scowled at him for the very vague answer.

The tall brunette all but refused to go in the car when he opened the passenger’s seat for her. “Oppa, give me a clue.”

“It’s a place you’ll like and a place that’s good for Sun Jung.” The Super Junior leader chuckled under his breath when his girlfriend tried to stick her tongue out as maturely as she could muster before she climbed into the car.

                    Leeteuk rounded the car, entering the driver’s seat, and they soon drove out of the parking lot and into the welcoming mid-afternoon sun. It was still warm but not hot enough to make anyone hesitate to spend the day out. He remembered how Siwon rambled on and on about this private community his relatives lived in the other day. The younger man had said that a lot of those who yearned for peace and privacy lived there, such as politicians, artists and the like, before listing off all the good things about the place. Leeteuk made the decision right then and there to take Sooyoung and Sun Jung there. It was a logical decision, really.

                    As he drove and mentally recited the directions his dongsaeng had given him earlier that day, Leeteuk thought about how much he had changed, especially when it came to decision-making. He had always been careful of what to say and what to do; things he learned the hard way back then. He was a leader and he had the responsibility to protect his fourteen brothers. But now he wasn’t just a leader now. In the eyes of everyone, he was a father to Sun Jung and a boyfriend and partner to Sooyoung. He had a family now and in every decision he had to make, he had kept them in mind. That went for everything – from what he wore to what steps in his career he was willing to make. A day out was no exception.

“Oppa, where are we?” Sooyoung spoke some twenty minutes later; her large eyes looking at the passing scenery. “This place looks so… private.”

“That’s the point.” He chuckled as the car slowly came into a pause when they reached the gates. He had merely given his name when the guard asked why they were there, causing her eyes to go wider in surprise. Good thing Siwon didn’t forget to ask his relatives to help with the family’s visit in the area by helping them enter the community with relative ease.

“How… How did you do that?” The leggy brunette gestured to the guard as they drove off into the secluded community.

Leeteuk winked at her. “I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeves.”

She chose to look outside the window once more, gaping at everything she was seeing. “Oh, oppa! It’s so beautiful here! It’s so clean and there are so many trees… it looks so peaceful here! And the houses are so big.”

“They are.” Absently nodding in agreement, silently thinking about how their family would need a big house one day.

                Thanking the heavens that he hadn’t gotten them lost, Leeteuk let out a sigh of relief as they reached the parking lot intended for the community’s pristine park and gardens. Sooyoung’s jaw had nearly dropped at the sight of the perfectly manicured grass, the large, sturdy trees, the children’s playground, the numerous bushes of different coloured flowers around the perimeter of the place and the large, grandiose fountain in the centre of it.

                Leeteuk was already out of the car and taking the stroller out of the trunk when Sooyoung snapped out of her daze, realizing what her boyfriend had done for her and her daughter. The stroller had just been set up and the door of the backseat silently opened when she practically flew out of the car and into his arms, kissing him dead in his tracks. Leeteuk smiled against her lips as he opted to wrap his arms around her slim waist, backing them both up against the car.

“Thank you, oppa.” She whispered against his lips. “You were right. This place is perfect for us.”

“I’m glad you liked it.” Wanting to kiss her one more time, a groan nearly escaped his lips when Sun Jung reminded them of her presence; sounds no one could understand leaving her lips.

                Sooyoung took care of getting her daughter out of the car seat and into the stroller while Leeteuk had taken care of what else was in the trunk. Her jaw nearly dropped again when he shut the trunk, revealing the picnic basket and a paper bag in his hold. He merely chose to flash his dimpled smile at her before he joined his two girls and they headed for the park. There weren’t that many people around and those who were seemed to be the type of people who minded their own business. Finding a large tree that provide a wide enough shade, Sooyoung could only watch in amusement as her boyfriend began to lay a picnic mat on the grass. Settling Sun Jung beside the said mat, he placed the picnic basket

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter