Relationships

The Substitute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Soo…” When the brunette didn’t bother to reply and continued pacing back and forth before him, Leeteuk sighed and shifted the baby in his arms. “CHOI SOOYOUNG! You’re making me dizzy!”

“How can you stay so calm, oppa?” She finally asked, stopping her pacing to shoot him a look. He knew without asking that that she was talking about Lee Sooman’s visit a few days back. “Everyone’s expecting us to get married. You know, as in I walk down the aisle while you're waiting by the altar and there will be rings and we're going to have to-”

“It’s normal for them to do so, Soo.” He reasoned, interrupting her calmly. “What they all know is that we have a daughter and it’s our duty as parents to officially form a family.”

Sooyoung paused in thought, running a hand through her hair as she sighed. “Oppa, she isn’t really your daughter.”

“The last time I checked her whole name is Park Sun Jung. Park happens to be my last name.” A smirk appeared on his face but it slowly disappeared and was replaced by a frown. “I didn’t know these issues bothered you this much. Talk to me, Soo. Don't keep it all bottled up.”

She smiled sadly. “This isn’t how it’s supposed to be.”

Knowing that they were about to have a very long conversation, Leeteuk got up from the bed and carefully set the sleeping Sun Jung in her crib. “Just exactly how did you think everything would be?”

“All I knew way back then is that you’re not supposed to be the one carrying my burden, oppa.” When he opened his mouth to retort, the new mom held a hand up. “It's not that I'm being ungrateful because heaven knows how I'll forever be thankful to you. I’m thankful for everything you did beyond words, oppa. But we both know that Sun Jung isn’t your daughter no matter how you try to make everyone to believe."

"Sooyoung, wait..."

"You have no idea how much I’d want this make believe to be all real. I didn’t want you with all the responsibilities. You’re not supposed to be claiming a daughter who was never yours to begin with." She paused to take a breath. "He... He shouldn't have freaked out about the one night stand. He shouldn't have made me feel like that..."

Leeteuk's eyebrows furrowed. She was talking about the real father; the bastard he knew nothing about. "He's an ."

"It might not bother you now…" The brunette smiled sadly again. "But what happens when you meet the girl you’re supposed to spend your life with?”

                Sooyoung swallowed the lump that suddenly formed in . She had to push those words out of , knowing that it was reality. It stung though. For whatever reason, it did. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes and she blinked rapidly, trying to fight the urge to cry. Leeteuk could only sigh, seeing the multitude of emotions crossing her beautiful face. Without a word, he walked over to where she stood and took her hands in his. He fought with himself in order to find the right words to say, knowing that he needed to make everything right for both of them and the baby sleeping in the crib.

“Remember the time we went baby shopping and had dinner after?”

Sooyoung blushed crimson at the memory. “How can I forget…”

“Well… We have really talked about that dinner in a long time.” He smiled wryly. “We haven’t talked about us since that night.”

The SNSD member took in a deep breath. “What do you want to talk about? What about us?”

Guiding her back to the bed, Leeteuk sat both themselves down before he continued. “To be honest… I really didn’t know what I was signing up for when I told everyone that I was the father of Sun Jung. I didn’t know how big an effect it would have not just on me, you and Sun Jung… but also to Super Junior and SNSD. At that time I did what I did because it was what I thought was right and I still do think it was the right thing to do."

"Oppa..."

"I'm not finished." The Super Junior leader reminded her patiently. "At that time, all I could think about was how no guy should break a woman's heart and leave her and their child. All I could think about was how wrong it was that your baby was going to grow up without a father and how you'd have to be the one to take care of her on your own. I had to do something... so I did. But that time I didn’t really realize it would have so many consequences… that it would be difficult.”

“I’m sorry…” She found herself whispering though she knew that he’d say that she had nothing to apologize for.

“It’s funny how you’re worrying about something that I never really worried about.” When she shot him a questioning look, Leeteuk flashed her a charming grin. “I don’t worry about what will happen when I meet the girl I’m supposed to spend my life with… because she’s already in front of me.”

A gasp escaped Sooyoung’s lips as she felt her heartbeat accelerating. “Oppa…”

“I love you.”

                It was when he so carefully said those words that they both realized that it was the first time either of them had said it to the other. The tears that were threatening to spill finally rolled down Sooyoung’s cheeks as she gazed silently at the sincere, loving and honest man before her. She didn't know what she did to deserve him but here he was, with her and her daughter, loving them the best way they could.

“I want you to know that everything I’m doing is because I love you. I’m willing to spend all my time taking care of you and Sun Jung. You both mean the world to me, Soo…” He whispered, cupping her face with his hand. “Let me love you from now on until tomorrow, the day after that, the day after that one too and so on.”

                Knowing that no words could really match his heartfelt confession, Sooyoung simply pressed her lips on his, knowing that actions did speak louder than words. Sooyoung knew she could spend the time being bitter over how Kyuhyun had dealt with their whole one night stand. She could spend her days wishing for this and wishing for that. She could spend the time wallowing in guilt and self-pity and mourning for all things that could have and should have been. But she wouldn't... because there was this man before her who made her feel and believe that she was going to be okay.

“I love you too.” She replied breathlessly as they parted; a smile soon appearing on her lips.

Leeteuk pressed a chaste kiss on h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter