Chapter 28

To Kill & Love

 

 

            Donghae pushed the door open with his feet. His hands were completely full with pillows, blankets and other safety measures to prevent Eunhyuk from hurting himself. He crossed the floor and with a huff, placed the baggage on the table.

            Eunhyuk limped into the room after shutting the door. He wore a sling and had many bandages. He’d been in the hospital for a week and was finally able to go home. And now, home he was.

           

            When Eunhyuk stepped in to the living room he noticed Donghae sitting on the couch gazing dazedly into space. With a couple of long strides he seated himself beside the other boy.

            “Ah.” Eunhyuk sighed as he sat down.

            “Oh, Eunhyuk. Careful.” he urged. Eunhyuk nodded and gently shuffled around to get comfortable. After a second he peered at Donghae who bit his lip, not daring to look at his lover. Before he could ask him what was bothering him, Donghae whipped his head around and stared at him.

            “Eunhyuk, what if the others hate you? And if they hate you, then they hate me. Cause of course we are one. One entity. Forever. But seriously, what if they hate us. I mean we are cold blooded killers. Warriors of the night. Evils! We’ll have to run away…” Donghae droned on.

            Eunhyuk rolled his eyes and stifled a yawn. What a silly boy, he grinned as Donghae kept on talking. Yet the words Donghae said were true. He had not seen his friends since Jessica had tried to end their lives. He had heard they had helped him when he was injured; yet, they never visited or stopped by. He frowned in frustration. It was true; he was worried. Never in his life had he been worried twice in a two week radios.

            “Well, not that you aren’t capable of acting cute. You could take off your shirt, that’s good. Mmmyum. It could distract them, and then we could run for it. But I’d rather not show them what belongs to m–”

            “Donghae.” Eunhyuk shushed the anxious boy with his calm tone. “It’s okay.”

            Donghae nodded then looked down to fiddle with his fingers. He was not at all convinced. Neither was Eunhyuk. As good an actor as he was, this was an emotion he never thought he’d had or have to try and hide. Eunhyuk pouted. He couldn’t believe it! He was anxious. Anxious! An assassin; anxious or worried? Never.

            I’m human. Eunhyuk his lips to rid the bitter taste from his mouth. Humaaaan, he stuck out his tongue in disgust. Human, he chuckled. Eunhyuk looked to the frustrated boy beside him. His ivory skin, lips, dark locks. And those eyes. Those huge, bright, sincere eyes.

            “Human’s not so bad.” Eunhyuk sighed.

            “Huh?” Donghae looked up with his worried expression. Before he could surface any words Eunhyuk leaned in a pressed his lips against the boy’s. It was only a second but enough. Eunhyuk leaned back to gaze at Donghae’s surprised expression.

            “Not bad at all.” he smirked.

           

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “I didn’t know what to do! He said ‘we want to talk’. So I said ‘sure come over’. Then he said ‘we’ll be right over’. What do we do?” Donghae was running around the house in a fit. His arms waved everywhere; like a human fan.

            “This doesn’t give us much time.” he froze in mid step and pondered a thought. “This is it. We’re leaving. They won’t be able to handle us. Wild cats in the night…”

            Eunhyuk sat on the couch and sipped his tea, in deep thought. His eyes focused on nowhere in particular. Coming over? He took another sip. There was no longer the anxiety there was the day before. Now, there was only the question and an answer.

            “Food! I forgot food. We have money, we’ll be fine.” Donghae marched into the room carrying pillows and the familiar duffle bag; clothes protruded from the top and over the sides. A shirt fell on the ground and he kicked it away with a huff. Around his other shoulder was the fish blanket. And finally, stuffed in his pockets were their toothbrushes and spoons. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow and focused on the other’s face.

            “Eunhyuk. I didn’t plan for things to go down like this, but…” he put his hands together and closed his eyes. Praying for either guidance or forgiveness. When he opened them he was serious, all games aside.

            “I think we may have a chance if you take off your shirt.” he said slowly nodding his head. Eunhyuk sighed and closed his eyes. He better have been praying for forgiveness.

            Before he could answer, they heard a knock at the door. Donghae yelped and dropped their things, darting from the ground and around the wall to the kitchen. When he returned he held a small butter knife with a determined look.

            “We’re too late.” he swallowed. “But I’m ready. Eunhyuk, you…”

            “Sit down.” Eunhyuk cut him off.

            “Yes, sit down.” Donghae sat down then frowned. “No, they’ll eat you!”

            He was too late. Eunhyuk limped over to the door and touched the handle. Without hesitation he opened the door for the group of boys waiting outside.

 

            Donghae peered around the wall to eye the hallway when Eunhyuk opened the door. He opened it! Donghae clenched his fist around the butter knife and bit his knuckle to keep from screaming. One by one the enemy entered their home. Dangerous, that’s what they were. Dangerous and full of knowledge. Knowledge, put into the wrong hands and – Wham! Donghae hit his head on the wall.

            Oh no! They were coming his way. He stuck the knife in his back pocket. Donghae turned around and looked the things he had packed sprawled all over the floor. Ah! He quickly shoved everything behind the couch. Before a single foot stepped into the living room, he fastened himself on the windowsill, preventing anyone from escaping.

            “Please sit.” Eunhyuk said calmly, though there was no smile on his face. Donghae pouted then remembered to appear calm and normal. The guys either sat on the ground or the couches. Others stood, like Leeteuk and Kyuhyun. A silence that deemed to last for forever hung in the room. Not a single breath dared to penetrate the quiet atmosphere. This is until Donghae realized he indeed was in fact holding his breath.

            “You’re an assassin?” Kangin decided at that moment to steal the air Donghae needed at that moment. Donghae froze and stared at the speaker. His eyes quickly darted to Eunhyuk who stared emotionlessly at Kangin. Donghae knew Eunhyuk wished to tell them everything and anything they wanted to know. He wanted them to know he would never hurt them and that he loved them.

            Donghae finally understood. A huge shroud was lifted from his heart and he could now see everything. Eunhyuk’s heart was completely . Donghae understood the way he thought and the way he hid his thoughts. To anyone in the room, his gaze would appear cold and emotionless. But Donghae knew, Eunhyuk was scared. In a way, he had watched him grow up. Donghae frowned. Eunhyuk. That man had hid everything so well. His emotions, his thoughts, and fears.

            Eunhyuk didn’t move as he spoke, “Yes.”

            Donghae winced at the sound of his voice. It was pained and forced. The group was silenced. Donghae bit his lip to keep from hyperventilating. He should take off his shirt. We might have a chance. Donghae eyed their packed bags and moved only an inch to the left when Eunhyuk’s gaze fell on him. He gave Donghae a warning glare. The other hung his head and made no other try. Yet he seemed to calm down.

            “You’ve killed people?” Heechul whispered and Hankyung, who didn’t seem any different, held him tighter. This time, there was no hesitation when Eunhyuk answered.

            “Yes.”

            Donghae looked up and saw that Eunhyuk still had his gaze set on him. His eyes weren’t harsh or piercing. If anything, they were sad and desperate. Donghae wanted to cry. Please don’t be sad. I promise everything will be all right.

            “You are a murderer.” A voice pierced the air, as well as Donghae’s heart.