Chapter 4

To Kill & Love

 

            The next day was hot and wonderful. The sun was shinning and everything was green. The delicious smell was everywhere; the smell after it rains. Today, Donghae thought it would be good for Eunhyuk to go outside for some fresh air. Therefore he decided to pack a picnic and go to the park. Eunhyuk was forcefully dragged.

 

            “See it’s really nice out. We haven’t have sun for a long time. Actually,” he paused. “I think this is the first time since we have been sharing the same apartment that it has been nice out.” Donghae smiled and turned to face Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk nodded. It iswarm. He looked around. People were eating their picnics as well. A picnic appealed to everyone. This was Eunhyuk’s first picnic.

            Donghae put down the blanket and set out the food, under a tree. The shade cooled them nicely. “Let’s eat.” Donghae chimed, obviously happy. Eunhyuk thought it funny how Donghae could be so happy in front of others. He reached for a sandwich and took a bite. Hm, this is good. Eunhyuk ate it hungrily. He didn’t realize he could be so hungry.

            After eating four sandwiches and other food, Eunhyuk laid down and gazed at the tree above him. Donghae had eaten what was left, which wasn’t much. He was happy anyway.

            “Hey Eunhyuk.” Donghae asked. Eunhyuk grunted. Donghae leaned on his elbow. “Are you happy?” This surprised Eunhyuk. Never had anyone once asked him if he was happy.

            “Happy? Me? Of course.” he lied, not knowing the answer to the question himself. Donghae laid on his back. “That”s good. Life is short. People should be happy. It makes the world brighter.”

            Eunhyuk peeked over to see Donghae with his eyes closed, smiling.

 

            “Life is short. People should be happy...”He closed his eyes. You have no idea how short yours is.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            After resting for a while under the tree, they both agreed that it was time for them to go back to the apartment. Hauling everything back, Donghae droned on about how they finally had nice weather for August.

            “...so they said next time. Is that okay?” asked Donghae. Eunhyuk wasn’t listening, having Donghae to repeat himself.

            “What?” Eunhyuk finallycaught on. Donghae sighed. “Is it okay if we have a barbeque with them next time. They seem really nice. It’d be nice to get to know some of the other people in this apartment.” Donghae nodded, anticipating a good response. Eunhyuk nodded and trudged on. He could hear Donghae whisper “yes” enthusiastically.

 

            The day went on, then slowly came to an end.

            Already in bed, Donghae was asleep. Eunhyuk fell into his regular practice of staring at the roof, clearing his thoughts, before going to sleep.

            I don’t like this. I’m feeling... well, I’m feeling! I don’t feel. I shouldn’t be feeling anything. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. It was hours before he fell asleep.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            The next day the thoughts still stabbed at Eunhyuk’s mind. I need to go for a run, was what he finally concluded. The trees were green and the leaves were dancing timidly. Eunhyuk jogged until he made ten laps around the massive park.

            He slowed down then stopped. He gulped down water from a water bottle he bought at the park’s ice cream shop. This is better. No doubts. Just another target. He smiled wearily then jogged back towards the apartment.

 

            Donghae looked at the apartment and bit his lip. Nothing to do. I washed the clothes, dusted everything, cleaned the room and bathroom... He rubbed his temples mercilessly then shouted out loud. “Ah! Bored! Bored! Bored!” He relaxed and sighed. “Wait. The bedding! I haven’t washed that in a while. Covers, sheets and pillows.” he smiled, proud of himself for finding a detail he had missed. Donghae bounced into the room and ripped apart the bed.

 

            Ah, that was so much better. I feel absolutely nothing. Eunhyuk walked up the stairs towards his apartment. On his way there he caught sight of the public laundry room and looked inside. Empty. Oh. He shrugged and walked on.

            He opened the apartment door and took off his shoes. He looked around. Clean. He walked across the living room and towards the bedroom. Out of nowhere someone with a pile of blankets collided with him. The weight of the collision made Donghae fall back. Eunhyuk, trying to keep him up, fell on top of him. Everything happened in a less than a second.

            The next thing Eunhyuk knew what that his and Donghae’s lips were touching. Surprised, he froze. What the... At once, Eunhyuk lifted his face from Donghae’s. Donghae stared at him in shock.

            Eunhyuk looked at Donghae’s lip. “Um, you’re bleeding.” Donghae his lip. “So are you.” Eunhyuk did the same. Realizing his position he quickly rolled off. Seconds, which felt like hours, passed.

            “Are you okay?” asked Eunhyuk, who looked around to keep away from any eye contact. Donghae sat up and touched his lip. “Fine, you?” he looked curiously at Eunhyuk’s lip. Eunhyuk nodded. “Fine.” he whispered.

            Donghae stood up and grabbed the mound of blankets and sheets. He started to walk to the door then paused. “I’m going to wash these. Okay?” After hesitating he walked out the apartment door and down the hallway.

            Eunhyuk stared at the door. What just happened? He touched his lips. Did we just... Eunhyuk couldn’t even think about the word. He sat there.

            After taking his time to recuperate he decided to take a shower.

 

            The water was warm. He let it fall on his face. Maybe we didn’t ki... He still couldn’t think about it. He touched his lip again. It was cut just to the left near the centre of his lower lip. I was cut by his tooth. He sighed, for he knew that their lips had touched. He smacked his head. Oh jeez, I didn’t even apologize. It wasjust an accident.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae folded up the blankets. The motion was automatic. He stared at nothing and frowned. He his lip once again. He kissed me? It was an accident! I know that. He paused and touched his lip. His bottom lip hand a cut on it near the corner. He brought his hand down and chuckled. What the hell am I thinking? It was an accident. He laughed.

            After folding everything he made his way back to their apartment. Holding all the blankets was a full job that needed both hands. He arrived just outside their door. I don’t want to put them on the dirty ground. He sighed.

            Suddenly the door across from theirs opened. Kangin walked out then caught Donghae’s eye. “Oh, hey Dong – hey that must hurt. How did you do that?” he pointed to his lip. Embarrassed Donghae lied. “Bumped it on something. It’s okay.” he looked down. Kangin was about to leave when he remembered something. “Hey. We’re going to have another barbeque here at our place tomorrow. Wanna come? Sungmin and Kyuhyun, you know them, are coming. So are Heechul and Hankyung. The guys from room 11, third floor.” he nodded. “Yeah we get together often. You should join us.”

            Donghae thought for a second then almost lost balance of the blanket and sheets. “Whoa.” Kangin helped him then opened the door for him. They both walked inside. Donghae placed the stuff on the couch. Kangin looked around and whistled. “Nice place. Cozy.” Donghae rubbed his neck and nodded shyly.

            Kangin turned around and faced Donghae. “If you would like to come that would be great. It’ll be fun.” He clapped his hands together. “Sometime we should have something here.” he looked around nodding, making plans in his mind. Donghae nodded a bit unsure.

            “Hey, Donghae, sorry about the lip thing. It was an acci...” Eunhyuk walked out of the room wearing nothing but pants on. His hair was wet and stuck to his face.

            Kangin looked at Eunhyuk and his lip. He frowned. He then peeked at Donghae’s lip and raised an eyebrow. He turned his head away and thought up of a scenario that could have caused the two hurt lips. There was only one he could think of. He grinned.

            Donghae grabbed the pile of sheets and blankets and walked into the room. “I’ll fix the bed.” he said.

            Kangin raised both his eyebrows at the singular word. Now, truly convinced of his theory, smiling, he turned to Eunhyuk who looked at him confusedly. “Well as I was telling Donghae, were going to have a barbecue at our place tomorrow.” He nodded out the door. Eunhyuk stared at him blankly and expressionlessly.

            Kangin looked at the bedroom door then back at Eunhyuk. “Okay, see you two tomorrow.” he waved. He left the apartment smiling, shutting the door behind him.

 

            Eunhyuk looked confusedly at the door then walked into the bedroom. “What’s happening tomorrow?” he asked while walking into the bedroom. Donghae was making the bed. The sheets were neatly folded and placed on the bed.

            “Do you want to go?” asked Donghae continuing to arrange the blankets over the sheets. Eunhyuk his lip. “Do you?” he replied.

            Donghae stopped and looked at Eunhyuk. “It’ll be a nice way to meet the other people in the apartment.” he grinned. Eunhyuk nodded. Only three days anyway. He might as well enjoy it. A sharp pain stabbed Eunhyuk in the back near his heart. Why would it hurt now? He closed his eyes.