Chapter 1

To Kill & Love

 

            “...kill him.” said the voice on the other side of the cellphone. Eunhyuk walked the sidewalk and through the crowds of people, holding nothing but a duffel bag and his cellphone. The streets smelled of fuel and people. “I understand.” he affirmed.

            “You understand? Find him, get close to him then kill him. Understand?” The voice sounded urgent and nervous.

            It was the beginning of Augustand the night air was only very slowly getting cooler. Eunhyuk looked up at the sky. It was darkening with the hours of the day passing by. Eunhyuk raised his head, feeling his superiority against the menial person with nothing but money on the other side of the cellphone.

            “Everything has been arranged. He shall be dead within three weeks.” He hung up the phone and exhaled. Eunhyuk walked down the sidewalk, people on either side of him. It was crowded and loud. Someone bumped into him. Eunhyuk flinched at the pain that shot through his shoulder. Dammit. He rolled his shoulder back and forth. It had been months since he’d hurt it.

 

            Eunhyuk finally walked down a calm and welcoming street. To his left was a large park. He looked through the rows of trees that surrounded the park and into a grassy area. He could faintly see a large fountain and water spurting up from the middle. To his right, rows of apartments surrounded the green park. The calmness that surrounded the area set him on edge. It’s so quiet, he thought.

            He walked towards the direction of the apartment he was looking for. Finally, he found it. He stopped and stared at his new temporary living quarters. In front of him was a tall, red brick apartment. There were four stories.

            Eunhyuk stepped inside and walked to the little old woman at the counter. Seeing her visitor she eyed him from top to bottom, smiling dangerously. After fixing her hair and turning around to put on some blood-red lipstick, she asked him in a paralyzing horrible attempt of a seductive tone, what he would like.

            “Good afternoon, I’m renting room 16.” Eunhyuk used his poker face and smiled at the distasteful old lady.

“Oh really? Is there anything I should know about you?” The little old lady stared at Eunhyuk who just smiled back. “Are you an alien, or a girl in man's clothing or a ninja assassin?” The lady stood ready to fight making unnecessary noises.

            “No ma’am. Just a normal human being.” Eunhyuk smiled. The old woman put her fists down to think for a moment. She then turned around to search for something.

“Are you gay by any chance? I got some of those already. Boom boom boom!” She cackled a horrid laugh.

            Are you serious? I hate women. Eunhyuk smiled artificially as the little old lady turned around and handed him a two keys. “Now you do know there will be another fella moving in that same apartment today, don’t you?”

            “Of course. Actually,” he smiled his charming smile. “I’d like to welcome him personally and give him the key myself. Is that all right?” The woman grinned, nodded her head and gave him the second key. He could see her mind racing through many erted thoughts.

            “Wonderful idea.” she agreed. “I’ll tell him to go right on up there. I promise I won’t interrupt. Too much.” she added quickly. Eunhyuk smiled and thanked the old woman. Before he turned to leave he leaned over the counter towards the lady, who also leaned in. “Don’t tell him I just moved in. I want him to feel...” he searched for the right words. “At ease and comfortable.” The lady gave him the okay sign and winked.

           

            She’s definitely next on the list. Eunhyuk walked up the stairs to the fourth floor. Once he found room 16 he unpacked all his things. It didn’t take long. The apartment already had furniture and kitchenware. The only thing that caught him off guard was the single bedroom with the single bed. Okay. This is a first. He put the duffel bag under the bed. It might be easier this way if anything comes up. Just a flick of the knife and... Eunhyuk pretended to slit his throat.           

            With everything unpacked, Eunhyuk sat down on the couch and waited.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            After a couple hours of waiting, he heard a soft knock at the door. Come on in. He put on his fake charming smile and made his way toward the door. Once opened, he saw a guy about his age. He was young and very good-looking. His eyes were dark and his hair was a deep, rich colour of black. The boy was a couple inches shorter than Eunhyuk.

            “Hello my name is Donghae. I will be your new roommate.” the boy smiled. His smile was bright and happy. Eunhyuk remembered to smile and extended his arm. “Hi, name’s Eunhyuk. Come in. It might be weird but there’s only one bedroom with one bed. I don’t mind. Do you?”

            Donghae looked around then back at Eunhyuk. He shook his head. Perfect. Eunhyuk closed the door behind him. Donghae walked to the bedroom and placed a duffel bag on the bed.

            Didn’t pack much, did he? Eunhyuk looked at him from across the living room. He could barely see into the bedroom. All of a sudden a growl erupted form his stomach. I’m hungry.

            Donghae emerged from the room and sat on one of the chairs at the small table. Eunhyuk rearranged cups in one of the cupboards. His cleaning caught Donghae’s eye. “Let me help you.” He walked toward Eunhyuk.

            “It’s all right.” Eunhyuk said. Donghae insisted and insisted until out of nowhere a loud growl came from Donghae’s stomach.

            “Hungry?” Eunhyuk stared at the boy. The boy rubbed his neck and smiled. “A little. Are you?” Eunhyuk put the rest of the glasses. “No.” At that moment his stomach betrayed him and let out a loud rumble, calling for food.

            Donghae laughed while Eunhyuk tried to grasp his stomach’s treachery.

            Finally agreeing to go eat they left the apartment to shop for food. It’s for only three weeks anyway. Eunhyuk smiled wryly.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Once they bought all the food they’d need and eaten, both were fairly tired. They made their way towards the bedroom. Both were ready in a matter of minutes.

            Eunhyuk sat on the edge of the bed. He sighed. Ah. He winced and rubbed his left shoulder then down to his back.

            At that moment Donghae walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. He was pale and wore pyjama pants with a white shirt. He walked to the bed and sat down.

 

            I hope he doesn’t mind sharing his bed. Donghae rubbed his neck and peeked over to see Eunhyuk rubbing his eyes and sigh. Eunhyuk was taller than him but not by a whole lot. His dark brown hair was a little longer than usual hair, as was his. His dark eyes looked sad and longing. Donghae’s gaze shifted to his body. Wow, this guy is muscular.

            Donghae laid down and went under the covers. He was on the inside of the bed, to the wall. A few minutes later, after returning from brushing his teeth, Eunhyuk, wearing a white T-shirt as well, slid into bed without a sound. It was a matter of minutes until Donghae was asleep.

 

            One day down. Twenty-one to go. Eunhyuk smiled. He always thought it hilarious that he could get so close to someone without using any of his emotions but taking all theirs, then killing them without a thought. Poor fool. Eunhyuk closed his eyes and slept.