Chapter 3

To Kill & Love

 

            “Come on.” Donghae whined. “It’s going to be fun. I really wanted to see this one. Please.” Eunhyuk sat on the couch and looked as if he could kill someone with just a glance. It was three days since his halted attempt to kill Donghae.

            “It’s Ninja Assassin! I heard it’s a great movie. Please. I don’t wanna go by myself.” Donghae pleaded. Eunhyuk smirked at the irony that spilled whenever Donghae said the words assassin and great together.

            “Fine. I’ll come with you.” Eunhyuk finally gave in. “Yes!” shouted Donghae. Out of nowhere he started doing some kind of Kung Fu and making absurd battle cries. Eunhyuk smiled at his sloppy moves.

 

            Donghae gazed at Eunhyuk, who smiled. I haven’t seen that smile before. It’s, he tilted his head to the side. Nice. Happy to discover something new, Donghae smiled as well. All of a sudden Eunhyuk’s smile disappeared as if he caught himself doing something he shouldn’t do. Donghae pouted.Oh well, I’m gonna have to see if I can see that smile again sometime.

            “Ready?” asked Eunhyuk who grabbed both of their coats. Donghae grabbed his coat from his hand and bounded out the door, down the hall, and down the stairs. Ninja assassin! Hoowha! Donghae karate chopped the air. Too excited, he ran down the stairs until he bumped into someone.

            “Oh, I’m sorry.” Donghae bowed in apology. A cute blonde guy stood in front of him rubbing his forehead. “It’s okay.” he said. “Hey, you’re the new guy who lives on the fourth floor right?” he asked. Donghae nodded and smiled. “My name is Sungmin. I live with Kyuhyun on this floor, room 6. We should get together sometime. Everyone knows everyone in this building.” Sungmin smiled an adorable smiled. At that moment a door with the number 6 opened.

            “Sungmin I – Oh, hey there. Donghae? Am I right?”

            Donghae nodded. “You must be Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyun smiled. “Oh yeah. I was wondering what do you want to eat?” He looked at Sungmin who puffed up his cheeks and stared into space looking for an answer.

            “Pizza!” he screamed. “No.” was all Kyuhyun said.

            “But I want...”

            “We had that yesterday and the day before. I’m going to go make some vegetables.” Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin and hauled him away while Sungmin's face turned into a scared expression. “No, no. Not the veggies!” The door closed. Donghae stared at the door.

            “What are you looking at?” whispered Eunhyuk in Donghae’s ear. Donghae jumped at the sudden shock then relaxed when he saw who it was. “Oh Eunhyuk. It’s you.”

            Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. After reaching the main floor, they called out a taxi and raced to the cinema.

            The movie was about to start when they finally found some seats. Once the movie commenced Donghae was completely immersed in all the ninja skills and action. Every once in a while there would be something that jumped out causing him to jolt in his seat. Near the end, in between yawns he stared at the screen with anticipating eyes.      

            Finally, the movie was over and they made they’re way out of the theatre and into the streets.

            “That was awesome.” Donghae smiled. “It was so cool that the assassin, who should have been a bad guy, was actually a good guy. And when the girl says ‘Everyone has a heart’. Oh, that was priceless.” Donghae chattered on, but Eunhyuk could tell he was withering quickly.

           

            Eunhyuk listened to Donghae go on about the movie for about five minutes until the bus arrived. Psh. A ‘good’ assassin? They both climbed onto the very crowded bus. Two side-by-side seats were left. They both sat down. When the bus started to move the space closed in, causing them to squish together. “...and thirty minutes till we reach...” Eunhyuk heard their destination was going to be in about half an hour or more. So long. He sighed. Donghae was calm and quiet. His eyes had an ongoing battle at whether to stay open or close.

            “Eunhyuk...” Donghae tried to say something yet the bus’s loud noises kept cutting him off. Eunhyuk shook his head that he couldn’t hear. Donghae leaned closer and talked directly into his ear. “Thanks for coming with me.” He then leaned back, smiled and gave Eunhyuk the thumbs up. Eunhyuk nodded and then stared forward.

            Many minutes passed, when Eunhyuk felt something touch his shoulder. He ignored it until it tapped him again. After a minute he turned his head to see Donghae’s head bobbing from side to side, barely conscious. Donghae’s head moved again and tapped against Eunhyuk then pause. Slowly it landed on his shoulder and rested there. Eunhyuk’s eyes grew wide. Wait. Whoa, what? Um... He looked around. Do I move him? He looked around again and saw a man and his friend doing the same thing; head on the other person’s shoulder. So it’s normal? Eunhyuk relaxed a little bit.

            The ride went smooth. Donghae slept peacefully on Eunhyuk’s shoulder. Eunhyuk felt himself begin to lose to sleep until the bus halted to a stop and called their street name.    Donghae awoke from the sudden jolt the bus made while stopping. Groggily and sleepily they both walked off. Before Eunhyuk stepped off the bus he dared to peek at the two guys and realized it wasn’t two men at all. It was a girl leaning on a boy’s shoulder. The boy gazed at his girlfriend while smiling. Confused Eunhyuk stepped off the bus. So that was a...

            “I’m tired. Let’s go up to the room.” Donghae walked in a zombie like manner up to the apartment and up the stairs to their apartment.

            Once in their apartment, they got ready for bed and crawled in without a word. Donghae was asleep before he hit the pillow. Eunhyuk once again stared at the ceiling until he let himself fall asleep.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk wobbled into the front room and sat on the couch. My head. He winced in pain. Beads of sweat poured down his forehead. He decided a glass of water would make him feel better and cool him down. He dragged himself into the kitchen. Grabbing a cup from the cupboard he walked over to the fridge. Before he could reach the fridge he froze and couldn’t move.

            My legs. Why do I feel... Dizzy. All of a sudden Eunhyuk felt himself shift too far left. He was falling. Before he could reach the ground someone held up him.

 

            “Whoa. Are you okay? What’s... Why are you so hot?” Donghae felt Eunhyuk’s forehead. It was burning up. Sweat covered Eunhyuk’s body.

            Donghae supported Eunhyuk. Okay, okay. Bed. I need a bed. Donghae hauled Eunhyuk back to the room and threw him on the bed. Eunhyuk laid on the bed asleep or passed out. Donghae scratched his head then rubbed his neck. Um. “What do I do with you?”

            After five minutes off walking back and forth wondering what he should do, he decided to go and buy some chicken soup.

 

            Once he arrived at the store he started to look for the chicken soup. Donghae looked up and down the isles. Chicken? Chicken soup? Chicken? Ew liver! Chicken? Chick...

            “Donghae. Room 16.” asked a person beside him. Donghae twirled around and saw Kyuhyun. Behind him were five other guys he had never seen before.

            “Hi Kyuhyun.” Donghae smiled. Kyuhyun pointed to the guys behind him. “This is Leeteuk, Kangin, Kibum, Yesung and Ryeowook. These guys live right across from you. Room 14.” The five guys waved at Donghae.

            “We meant to welcome you sooner but we didn’t know how.” said one of the guys now known as Yesung, leaning on the one named Ryeowook. The one beside Ryeowook, named Leeteuk whispered something into the other person’s ear who then smiled.

            “As I was just telling Kangin, we would like you and Eunhyuk to come for a barbeque were having tonight.” Leeteuk bit his lip and waited for a positive answer. Donghae looked down.

            “Eunhyuk, my roommate, is pretty sick. I’m trying to look after him. Next time we would definitely come.” Donghae murmured. The six guys nodded and already started discussing about the next time.

            “See you next time?” Asked Kibum. Donghae nodded. The guys turned around to leave. Before Leeteuk left he gave Donghae a can of chicken soup. “If he’s sick he’ll need this.” he smiled.

            Donghae took the can and grinned happily. “Thank you. I was looking for that.” Leeteuk smiled and followed his group out of the store after paying.

            Perfect. I need to get back to the apartment quickly. He must be hungry. Donghae rushed to the cashier and paid for the can. After paying he ran out of the store toward the apartment. Once inside, he darted up the stairs and threw open the door.

            “Eunhyuk? Eunhyuk?” he called out. No answer. Donghae walked to their room. Inside was Eunhyuk, sleeping. Donghae looked at him. His face was calm. He seems different. Donghae cocked his head to the side. Eunhyuk shifted onto his stomach, his arm hung off the bed. He looks to be doing better. He felt his forehead. A little warm.That was fast. Donghae sat on the floor with his back to the bed and played with the can of food.I’ll give this to him when he wakes up. Donghae sighed and let his head fall on the bed. He stared at the roof.

            Before he knew it he was asleep.

 

            Eunhyuk shifted and stretched his body. Ow. He winced at the pain in his shoulder. He moved it gently then opened his eyes. The room was dark but not black. Something soft touched his hand. What the... Eunhyuk looked down the see Donghae’s head leaned against the bed, asleep. What are you doing there? Wait, why is it dark out? Eunhyuk looked at the clock. 5:29 pm. He looked out the window. Cloudy.

            Eunhyuk shifted his gaze to what Donghae was holding. Eunhyuk tilted his head to read the label. Chicken soup? He bought this? Well, I am hungry. Eunhyuk decided to make the soup then wake Donghae up when it was ready. Pft. Isn’t it supposed to be you taking care of me? And here I am making your supper.

            Eunhyuk readied the soup then went to wake Donghae up.

            He shook Donghae. “Hey you want some soup?”

            “Huh? Soup? Me? Yeah.” Donghae yawned then came to his senses. “Chicken? Chicken soup?” he yelled in a high pitch voice. “I was going to make that for you.” he pouted. Eunhyuk grinned. Donghae looked so cute. What the hell did I just think? Oh god. I must be sick.

 

            At the table Donghae slurped up his soup hungrily, as did Eunhyuk. They finished then sat on the couch. Donghae asked if Eunhyuk’s fever was gone. It seemed so; only a little warm to the touch. Donghae warned him to be careful just in case. The day went on and finally the darkness outside the window was not just the dark clouds. The two boys got ready for bed.

            Eunhyuk once again stared at the ceiling. Donghae slept quietly on the other side of the bed. Eunhyuk sighed. He’s just another target. I will accomplish the mission. He sighed again. Five more days.