Chapter 13

To Kill & Love

            Eunhyuk opened his eyes. White light streamed in from underneath the curtains. It was the end of November. Snow had begun to fall right after the party had ended, which was a month ago. The snow hadn’t seamed to stop. It was not deep, just fluffy and a lot of it. Donghae had enjoyed it the first couple of days. After he caught a cold he was more careful at how long he stayed out.

            Eunhyuk rolled out of bed as Donghae slept quietly.

 

            After lunch they both watch television. Christmas was in the air and on the air a lot. Donghae pointed at the screen. “That’s a big Christmas tree right there. Hey,” he paused. “Shouldn’t we get one. And presents?” Eunhyuk saw Donghae’s eyes light up. “What do you want for Christmas?” he asked as Eunhyuk had expected.

            “Nothing.”

            “What?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Not even a...”

            “Nope.”

            Donghae crossed his arms. He looked at the screen but couldn’t help look over at Eunhyuk. Before he could open his mouth to say anything, Eunhyuk shook his head. They continued to watch nothing once again. After a while Donghae began to yawn and soon fell asleep.

            Eunhyuk stared at the moving screen yet not paying attention to anything on it. What would Donghae like for Christmas? He rubbed his lips with his finger. Clothes? No, that’s too simple. A watch? No, that’s too...ugh. He sighed and scratched his head.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Days passed. Eunhyuk sat at the kitchen table. Donghae. Donghae. Donghae. What would Donghae want for Christmas? He sighed and threw the pen he’d been holding to write down notes, on what to get Donghae for a present.

            Finally fed up he trudged out of kitchen and into the bedroom. Donghae was on the bed.

            “Donghae.”

            Surprised Donghae looked up. “Yeah?” Eunhyuk rubbed his neck then his hair. His face flushed. “I, uh. What do you – no. Um. For chri – forget it.” he walked out of the room and back to the table in the kitchen.

            He sighed.Dammit. He ripped a piece of paper off the blank note.Dammit. He ripped another piece. Dammit, dammit, dammit! Pieces were flying everywhere. He collapsed into the chair and let his head fall in his hands.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            A couple weeks passed and Christmas was only a week and a couple days away. Snow was falling and the streets were busy with shoppers. Donghae had asked Eunhyuk many times over what he would want for Christmas, but every time he was answered with the same answer. Nothing.

            Eunhyuk sat on the couch. He looked very intently at the television. What. Should. I. Get. Him. Eunhyuk’s eyes burned through the screen.

            Donghae walked in and looked at Eunhyuk then at the television. “Would you like me to turn it on?” he asked. Eunhyuk shook his head. Donghae tried again to get a reaction. “Are you hungry?” Eunhyuk shook his head.

            All of a sudden Eunhyuk stood up and put on his coat. “I’m going out.” he said. Donghae stared at him. “Don’t you have a scarf or warm mittens?”

            Eunhyuk opened the door. “Lost’em. I’ll be back late. Don’t wait for me.” he said and shut the door.

            Donghae pursed his lips. Doesn’t have any mittens? Or a scarf? He froze. A smile formed on his face and he grabbed his coat.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk walked down the street. Lights were everywhere. Christmas music could be heard throughout the stores and streets. People were buzzing about. It was crowded. Eunhyuk coughed and shivered.

            What would Donghae like? Eunhyuk walked down the street eyeing every store. He passed some stores more than once.

            A couple hours passed and he didn’t find anything. He sighed.This is hopeless.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            The next day Eunhyuk sat on the couch with a huff. Donghae was on the other side. He yawned. “It’s so cold.” he shivered. “Makes it hard to sleep.”

            Eunhyuk was also pouting on the other end of the couch. Donghae stretched and yawned again. “I think we should get a fish.”

            Eunhyuk raised and eyebrow. “What?” Donghae made fish lips. “A fishy.” Eunhyuk stared at his idiot best friend. “You’re highly allergic to sea food. But you want a fish?”

            Donghae nodded and made fish lips again. Eunhyuk laughed. “You’re the fishy.” he laughed. Donghae chuckled then paused. “Is that a yes?”

            “No.”

            “But I’ll...”

            “Fishy.”

            “Wha...”

            “You.”

            “Me?”

            “Fishy.” Eunhyuk smiled. “We already have a pet. It’s you.” It was now Donghae’s turn to pout. And he did. He looked at the clock. “Oh. I have to go. I’ll be back late. Don’t wait for me.” he said in the same tone Eunhyuk had the day before.

            Donghae left the house and Eunhyuk did nothing to stop him. He laid back on the couch and thought. What should I get that little fishy?

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            The next four days were the same. Eunhyuk still had no idea what to get Donghae and Donghae would leave at night and come back late.

 

            Today Donghae was just about to leave when Eunhyuk stopped him at the door. He put his hand on his chest to stop him from moving. “Where are you going?” he asked. Donghae pursed his lips. “Um, yoga. Today’s the last day though. Yup, I love... yoga.”

            Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. Yoga? Such a bad liar. He pouted his lips then smiled. “I think I’ll come with you. I don’t mind watching.”

            “No, no, no. You can’t it’s only for girls.” he slurred the ‘s’ on girls, realizing his mistake. Eunhyuk laughed. “For girls? Then why are you...”

            “I have that person completely fooled. Good thing I’m pretty. Thank goodness today is the last day. Don’t think my mind power can fool her any longer.” Donghae began to stretch. “Well, gotta go.” he chimed. Eunhyuk let him pass.

            Yoga. He laughed. Eunhyuk looked at the calendar. December 21.Crap. Eunhyuk grabbed his coat and put on his shoes. I need to find something.

 

            Back on the streets the lights were shining and everything was beautiful. Eunhyuk breathed out and hot steam flew from his mouth. The streets were filled with people doing last minute shopping.

            For an hour Eunhyuk walked up and down the stores. He decided to go down another street. Halfway down he saw a store that sold blankets. He looked at the poster. Warm blankets. Keep your loved ones warm this winter. He laughed then paused to think about it. Before he knew it he was inside the store and looking around.

            He grazed every side of the store then stopped in front of one blanket. He laughed out loud. The blanket had a huge, cute looking, blue fish on it. It’s fishy lips looked so similar to Donghae’s. He laughed out loud again. This or nothing.

            After buying the blanket he walked out of the store and down the street. He walked past a jewellery shop. A glimmer caught his eye. He looked into the window. He smiled.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae quietly walked into the house. “Shh.” he shushed himself. Donghae held a bag closely to his chest. He peered around the corner. He tiptoed past the dark living room and into his room. He scanned the bed. Empty. Oh. He put the bag in a box and slid it under his side of the bed.

            Donghae looked around his and Eunhyuk’s room. Eunhyuk? He walked out of the bedroom and made his way to the living room. He a lamp. Eunhyuk? Oh!

            Eunhyuk’s sleeping body was sprawled out on the couch. He lay on his back, one arm under his head and the other hung of the couch. Donghae smiled then frowned. One blanket and two people in two different places in a freezing apartment. Uh... He looked at the couch. It looked like it could be big enough for the both of them, but... Donghae grimaced.What do I do? Donghae didn’t want to wake him. He bit his lip and left the room returning with the blanket they shared on the bed. It’s better if you don’t freeze. Donghae sighed. As he whipped the blanket around him to put on Eunhyuk, Donghae tripped. “Whoa!” He landed on top of Eunhyuk. He quickly braced himself on his elbows. Out of nowhere the light of the lamp went out.

            What the... The blanket fell perfectly on both of them. Are you serious? All of a sudden Eunhyuk moved causing him to fall right tight beside him. Even on him. Donghae had his head against Eunhyuk’s chest. He heard him breath deeply then exhale. The sweet smell of his breath fell over him.

            How do I... He tried to move but an arm held him there. Donghae froze. He was used to Eunhyuk being far away. Eunhyuk tried to stay far away but he never knew why. Donghae laughed to himself. This is why? He cuddles? He smiled then yawned. He was too tired to fight it. Donghae closed his eyes. Sleep fell over him quickly.