Chapter 5

To Kill & Love

            The next day Donghae and Eunhyuk jogged around the park together. Eunhyuk, compared to his usual pace, had to slow down to an inferior speed. Donghae ran hastily after him. Four and a half times around the park later Eunhyuk liberated Donghae by saying they should get some food and eat at home.

            Eunhyuk smiled as Donghae drowned himself in water. His hair stuck to his face and neck. Donghae finally dragged the bottle away from his face to catch his breath. “You barely...broke...a sweat.” he said between gasps.

            Eunhyuk grinned then reached for the water bottle. He picked up the bottle to find only a centimetre left of water. “You drank all the water.” he sighed then glared at Donghae.

            “Hey I’m not a monster like you!” he shot back, smiling. Eunhyuk dropped the water bottle then lowered his head. Monster like you, eh? That’s right I am a monster. He rubbed his chest. Donghae looked over and raised both hands. “Hey, hey. I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I was kidding. Actually, I admire it. You’re so fit. You can run for miles and not break a sweat. It’s crazy awesome. I’m sorry.”

            Eunhyuk looked up at Donghae’s worried face. He patted his back and nodded. “I know. Let’s go, alright?” He stood up and waited for Donghae who agreed quickly.

            Back at the apartment they ate ramen and eggs. Donghae ate hungrily, everything up. Eunhyuk sat on the couch and read through the newspaper. After a while he fell asleep.

 

            “Kill him. Kill him. You said you would. Are you going to break the contract?” Eunhyuk  breathed heavily. “No, no I won’t. I said I wouldn’t!” he yelled into the blackness. “Eunhyuk! Eunhyuk!” “What?” “Eunhyuk!” “What!” “Eunhyuk? Are you okay? Eunhyuk. Wait, Ugh.”

            Eunhyuk opened his eyes. Donghae stared at him. A trickle of blood poured out of his mouth. “Eunhyuk?” he stared, shocked.

            “Do... Donghae?” Eunhyuk looked down and saw his hand wrapped around a pair of scissors, which were implanted into Donghae chest. “Donghae?”

            Donghae coughed up blood and fell on top of Eunhyuk. “Wait! No! Donghae!” Eunhyuk lifted Donghae and held him. “Donghae!” he yelled. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…” he cried. A tear fell on Donghae’s cheek. Eunhyuk wiped it off then paused. Frowning, he looked at Donghae’s lip. There wasn’t a cut or even a mark. “Eunhyuk.” He heard a voice.

 

            “Hey, Eunhyuk. Wake up.” Said a voice. Eunhyuk opened his eyes and looked around. He was lying on the couch. In front of him was Donghae. Alive. “Donghae?”

            “Were going to be late.” Donghae looked curiously at Eunhyuk who got up and rubbed his eyes. He felt the cut on his lip and checked to see if Donghae still had his. He did. Just a dream, he sighed.

            “But still, we’re going to be late if we don’t go now.” Donghae moved quickly. Eunhyuk smirked. “It’s just across the hall.” he shook his head.

            After recomposing himself, Eunhyuk and Donghae walked across the little hallway and knocked on the door with the number 14 on it. Kibum answered to the door. “Hey you guys decided to come. Come on in.” he smiled. They walked in and saw some people they knew. Sungmin and Kyuhyun greeted them happily and walked them over to the table with food. Eunhyuk scanned the table for something and didn’t find it. He sighed in relief.

            “Yummy.” chimed a voice behind them. A pretty looking guy was putting everything on his plate. “I want this. This. This. And this. And of course this!” he smiled. A man came up behind him and smiled at Eunhyuk and Donghae. “Oh!” the pretty boy turned around and faced the other guy. “Hankyung aren’t you going to get some food?” the pretty asked. The guy looked at his friend’s plate and shook his head. “I’ll eat from yours.” he smiled then looked at Eunhyuk and Donghae.

            “Hi, my name is Hankyung and this fatty,” he pointed to the skinny pretty boy in front of him. “Is Heechul. Room 11.” He bowed. The pretty boy turned around with a piece of pretzel in his mouth. He chewed and swallowed. “Hi!” he smiled happily. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. Something is... different about them.

            “Let’s go sit down. You have enough food.” warned Hankyung. Heechul looked at his plate. There was a mountain of food. “Ah! Hankyung, look how much food you took! Now I have to eat some of this. Jeez.” Heechul took the plate of food and walked towards a sofa. Hankyung stared after him, smiling he then turned to Eunhyuk and Donghae. “I hope you like it here and plan to stay for a while.” he said. Donghae immediately replied. “We really like it here. It’s my first time having a roommate. I thought it would be hard at first, but then it was really easy. I like living with Eunhyuk.” he smiled.

            Hankyung, who seemed to understand completely, nodded. “I see. Well I’m going to be over there.” he pointed to where his friend sat. “Okay.” Donghae agreed.

            Eunhyuk watched as Hankyung walked over to Heechul. They sat very close. It’s just a little bit weir...

            “Eunhyuk. Donghae. Glad you could come.”

            Eunhyuk turned around. Leeteuk walked toward them quickly. “Feeling better?” he asked. Eunhyuk was taken aback, then nodded. “Fine. Thank you.”

            “Donghae was pretty worried about you. Did you make him the soup?” he asked Donghae who turned red and rubbed his neck. Eunhyuk smiled. “No, that was I. He fell asleep. He even ate most of the soup.” he laughed. Eunhyuk looked at Leeteuk who gazed at him curiously.Why is he looking at me like that? Donghae walked to the table for some food.

            “Leeteuk were out of... Hey guys. You came.” Kangin rushed over then poked Leeteuk in the side. “See, see? Look at their lips.” he whispered. Leeteuk raised an eyebrow. “I see. It was probably an accident.” he said. Kangin shook his head in protest. Leeteuk sighed. “Hey Eunhyuk, what happened to yours’ and Donghae’s lips?” Leeteuk smiled, as did Kangin.

            “Donghae and I bumped into each other. It’s not what you think. It was an accident.” Eunhyuk peered at Kangin who looked somewhat disappointed.

            “Ah, I see. Thought so.” Leeteuk sighed nonchalantly. “Well, shall we?” he motioned to the sofas and chairs.

 

            After everyone had had the chance to get some food, they all sat on the couches, chairs, or ground. Leeteuk had invited everyone to introduce themselves. Once finished they started talking about their memories and pasts. 

            “So Donghae what about you?” asked Ryeowook who sat beside Yesung. Donghae shuffled next to Eunhyuk. “Well I had a good childhood. I used to always eat blueberry ice cream in the morning because I thought it would eventually turn my tongue blue. Don’t ask me why I wanted that.” he laughed. “My parents love me, you know the normal stuff. It was pretty normal.” Donghae nodded. Eunhyuk gazed at Donghae and smiled. What a weird kid.

            Sungmin raised his hand. “Did you have any girlfriends or lovers?” Everyone leaned in to listen. Donghae chuckled. “No. None of those. Girlfriends or lovers.” Everyone leaned back and sighed.

            “What about you Eunhyuk? Any awesome past memories or something?” Eunhyuk gave a fake smile. “No, mine was boring. Just skip me.” he waved off. The whole room protested. “You can tell us.” urged Kangin.

            “Fine. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.” He sighed. “Well when I was really young my father used to bring me to this seafood restaurant.” Donghae smiled and moved around to look at him better. “That didn’t last that long though. As it turned out my father was a unique businessman and had killed many people. When my mother found out she killed herself. Soon after that my father was murdered.” the room went dead silent. “I was ten when I ran away from the orphanage. I was empty and always alone. I felt nothing and loved nothing. I was able to do things that normal people couldn’t bare to do. But I didn’t feel anything. Fearless.” he chuckled without emotion. He stared at the ground. I hated myself. Nobody could love me. Nobody can love me. This monster. Eunhyuk stared at the ground angrily.

 

            Donghae stared at Eunhyuk. I never thought... Eunhyuk... He looked at Eunhyuk. Before he knew it, he had tears in his eyes. He blinked them back.

            Eunhyuk paused and looked at the ground. Donghae was silent. These are horrible memories. He shuffled around. I need to, um... “Heechul what about you.” Donghae asked quickly. Heechul automatically started talking.

            Eunhyuk looked at Donghae. All of a sudden his distressed face relax. Donghae smiled sadly. Eunhyuk. I’m sorry.

 

            The rest of the night went on. People were beginning to tire and feel sleepy. Sungmin and Kyuhyun were the first ones to leave followed by Heechul and Hankyung. Donghae rubbed his eyes and stood up when Eunhyuk stood up.

            Eunhyuk smiled. He’s beat already? He turned to Leeteuk who was talking to Kangin. “Thank you for inviting us. It was good to get to know the people in the apartment.” he nodded. Leeteuk smiled. “We’re going to play a game of something tomorrow in the park. After, we’re going to watch a movie here. You up for it?”

            Before Eunhyuk could think about it, he replied yes. Leeteuk once again thanked them for coming. Donghae and Eunhyuk left and walked to their apartment.

           

            Eunhyuk entered the room. Donghae was sitting on the bed looking down. He was startled when he looked up and saw him. “Eunhyuk, I’m sorry about your past. It’s so sad. You must have felt so alone. I’m so sorry.” Donghae had tears in his eyes.

            Eunhyuk shuffled awkwardly. Don’t feel bad for me. I’m going to kill you in two days. Don’t... feel for me. The pain in Eunhyuk’s chest swelled again. Damn shoulder. He sighed.

            “I’m sorry.” Donghae cried. Eunhyuk sat on the bed. “Hey don’t,” he hesitated. “Don’t cry for me. Just don’t.” he sighed. “It’s fine.”

            Donghae tried to stop and kept failing. Eunhyuk hesitantly patted his back. Donghae froze. Out of nowhere Donghae’s arms were around Eunhyuk. He cried. Eunhyuk was too shocked to move. Donghae squeezed tighter. “It’s okay now. I’m your friend. You can stay here with me.” he cried between gasps for breath.

            Eunhyuk was still frozen. Here with you? Wasn’t I here first? He smiled then sighed heavily. He slowly grabbed Donghae’s arms and pulled them out from around him. “It’s fine. I’m just tired.” Donghae nodded and laid down. Eunhyuk faced the opposite way.

            After five minutes Eunhyuk could tell Donghae was asleep. He closed his eyes, turned and stared at the ceiling. Don’t say those things. I’m going to kill you. Kill you. Eunhyuk sighed. Cry? I haven’t cried since I was ten.