Chapter 29

To Kill & Love

 

 

            “You are a murderer.” Leeteuk watched Eunhyuk’s every move. Eunhyuk saw the shock that formed on Donghae’s face. He seemed hurt and scared. Eunhyuk slowly tore his gaze from his boyfriend and met Leeteuk’s. The older man didn’t seem angry or happy. There was neither accusation in his voice. He just… said it. He announced it to everyone so they will know what he is, a murderer. And he was. He was a killer, a murderer, and a horrible human being. He was the reason children begged their parents to check their closets and underneath their beds. Little did they know it was not them in danger, but their very own protectors. A parent. A gangster. A politician. Anyone his contract demanded.

            “Yes. I am.” Eunhyuk answered solemnly.

            “You have killed many people.”

            “Yes. I have.”

            The group of guys were listening to every word. Not a single ear was not tuned into the short sentence conversation.

            “If seven months ago we had never met and you were in a contract to kill all of us here in this room, would you? Would you kill all of us?” Leeteuk asked.

            “Teukie, don’t say that. He wouldn’t…” Ryeowook pleaded.

            “Listen to his answer.” the other answered calmly yet forcefully.

            Eunhyuk clenched his teeth in frustration. He promised himself he would answer every question they asked honestly. It was true. If he had never met them, he would have carried out his contract till the very end. He swallowed and re-focused he gaze on the questioner. Leeteuk waited calmly for his answer. All of a sudden Eunhyuk understood what Leeteuk was doing.

            “Yes. I would have.” he answered with painful honestly.

            Leeteuk hung his head and nodded, acknowledging the truth. Slowly, he walked to the middle of the room and stopped to face Eunhyuk a few meters away.

            “Eunhyuk, right now even with your injuries, could you kill all of us?”

            “Yes.”

            “You could?”

            “Yes.”

            “Will you?”

            “No.”

            “Why not?” Leeteuk lips were slowly turning upward with every answer Eunhyuk gave. Eunhyuk, who understood where the whole conversation was going, felt anxious. Once again Eunhyuk was surprised by the elder’s wisdom and kindness. Leeteuk had announced everything Eunhyuk had wanted to say. The men in the room now know who he is and what he has done. Most of all, he wanted to answer the last given question.

            “Because I love you and would die for you any day.”

            Without warning Kyuhyun pushed himself off the wall. With his arms crossed he strode across the room and stopped right in front of Eunhyuk. The taller, younger boy, stared at the bruised and broken killer, inches from his face. All of a sudden Kyuhyun opened his arms and gently embraced his friend.

            “And we you. Any day.” Kyuhyun had tears in his eyes. Eunhyuk was in shock; his eyes, wide and watery. His open mouth formed no words. Out of the blue Sungmin burst into crying, followed by Ryeowook and Heechul.

            “We thought you died!” Sungmin could barely choke out. And chocked, he did. The whole group stood up and walked up to Eunhyuk with tears in their eyes.

            “We’re your friends.” Kangin tried to keep his tears hidden, but failed hopelessly. Other people were talking and crying but Eunhyuk couldn’t hear anything. He was speechless. He looked around the room and saw that all the eyes were on him. There were no expressions of hatred or fear on any of their faces. Something wet fell down his cheeks. He lifted a hand to touch his cheek. Tears. He was crying. Finally a sob escaped his mouth.

            Eunhyuk smiled and let his tears free fall down his face. Friends.

 

            Before they knew it, it was dark out and late. The group announced that they would just sleep on the ground. Thankfully Kangin found a bunch of pillows and a duffle bag behind the couch to use. As soon as the pillows were out in the open, sleepy heads claimed them. Everyone’s eyes were puffy and swollen with crying. When Eunhyuk announced he would sleep on the floor the whole group demanded he sleep in his room on the bed. With a huff and gratefulness he answered their request. Before shutting the door to their room Donghae heard Hankyung mutter something about a butter knife.

            Donghae lay next to Eunhyuk and traced his still bruised jawline. Eunhyuk’s eyes were closed and he breathed gently. He was completely exhausted. Donghae realised that this night would be the first night where Eunhyuk didn’t have to wake up and lie to the people he loved.

            Donghae hefted himself onto his elbow and tapped a kiss on Eunhyuk’s cheek. I love you.

           

                                                                        *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “Don’t touch! It’s mine!” Donghae squealed at Kangin who stole his dry cereal and glass of milk. Kangin shrugged and poured half the milk into the cereal bowl.

            “You ruined it!” Donghae cried in horror. Sungmin walked into the kitchen and punched Kangin in the arm.

            “Hey!” the bigger guy said with his mouth full. Donghae sighed and pouted. Here we go. It took him a while to pry the two apart due to Sungmin’s protective nature. In the end everyone was happy.

 

            A month and a half passed, allowing Eunhyuk to heal and gather his strength once again. The group was always together, always helping each other and the assassin to get better. The doctor had pleased Donghae when he told him Eunhyuk was a healthy man and was lucky to have survived the two bullets wounds.

            After another couple of weeks, the group finally decided for a game night. As hard to admit as it was, all the boys agreed they missed their game nights. With that it was decided, they would hold one a week from now. Leeteuk willingly volunteered their house. Without any complaints, it was made official.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae smiled as Eunhyuk walked out of the bedroom with damp hair. He had cut it a month ago and now it looked like when they first met. Not long and not short. Perfect.

            “Ready?” Eunhyuk asked putting on a light sweater. Donghae examined his boyfriends face. The bruises had long since passed and his face was perfect. Mostly. Other than a moon shaped scar starting at his temple curving down to just above his cheekbone, and a scar near the bottom side on his mouth, he was perfect.

            “Donghae?” Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. Donghae smiled and tilted his head to kiss Eunhyuk cheek. Before he could make it to the soft flesh his head was clasped in-between two hands.

            “I don’t think so.” Eunhyuk growled and leaned closer, crushing their lips together. Donghae’s lips were soft and willing. Mesmerized lips press together time after time. Donghae parted his lips and begged for more, before Eunhyuk broke contact.

            “Ready?” he asked smoothly. Donghae nodded and gulped down his emotions.

 

            “We’re coming in!” Eunhyuk warned before opening the door to the apartment right next to theirs. From what they heard, all the guys were already situated in the living room playing another one of their famous arm wrestling games. Regretfully, Sungmin was sitting out due to his sprained wrist resulting when he tried to jump rope with only his arms. Needless to say it didn’t work.

            When the two boys rounded the corner they were blessed to see yet another victory from Kangin. This time, against Kibum.

            “Round five?” the muscle man asked, practically begging. Donghae walked around Sungmin then sat himself beside him.

            “Sure.” Eunhyuk smiled. Kangin looked and watched Eunhyuk sit down on the other side of the small table used for only arm wrestling.

            “What about your shoulder?” Yesung voiced out of concern. Eunhyuk shook his head and pointed to the left side of his chest. With a gleeful look Kangin prepped his arm and stabbed it on the table, ready for victory. Eunhyuk rolled his right arm and flicked his wrist a couple of times. The way he held himself, he appeared strained and weak. When he placed his arm of the table he gently grabbed Kangin’s hand.

            “Ready?” Kyuhyun turned to Kangin, who nodded. He then turned to Eunhyuk who had his head down. “You sure?”

            Eunhyuk kept his head low and nodded sullenly.

            “Alright then. On your mark, get set,” Kyuhyun peered at the two people before he smiled. “Go!”

            After a couple seconds the two arms on the table still hadn’t moved an inch. Though, Kangin’s face was beginning to twist into horror. Kyuhyun coughed and tapped the table. “I said go.”

            Kangin clenched his teeth as blood rushed to his head. Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow and slowly turned his head to face Kangin’s opponent, who still hung his head. With an evil smirk Eunhyuk raised his head and flashed his eyes at his shocked prey. Slowly the victim’s arm was being bent backwards toward the table.

            With a huff Kangin tried to give another shove and failed. Eunhyuk once again pushed down until his and Kangin’s hands were barely touching the side on the tiny table.

            “Ah.” Eunhyuk winced. “I’m done.”

            Kangin felt slight hope and gave a heave to keep himself from touching the table. To his surprise his arm went backwards crashing into the table. The room was set ablaze as everyone cheered.

            “Hyukie is the winner!” Kyuhyun boomed. Kangin lay on the table, defeated. Eunhyuk smiled and stood up to get a drink of water.

            “But he said…”

            “Don’t be a looser.”

            “Give it up.”

            Eunhyuk was still smiling when Leeteuk and Hankyung walked in to the kitchen, also for a couple of drinks.

            “Highly impressive. He won’t live it down. Ever.” Hankyung chuckled happily. Leeteuk nodded and shook his head in amazement.

            “Yeah.” Eunhyuk grinned. Before he left the two alone in the kitchen, he paused.  “Don’t tell him I’m actually left handed.”

            The two men burst into laughter as Eunhyuk walked out of the kitchen. Back in the living room the group was deciding on a new game. It seemed to take all their strength to think of a new game they had never played before. After a couple hours of laughs and fun the group ended the night with a bang. Literally. The group was tired and Yesung had decided to open a can of pop. Little did he know, Kibum had accidentally dropped it not long ago. Regretfully there was a big mess to clean up. The word ‘clean’, led the group to part their separate ways.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae clapped with enthusiasm when he heard that the group had planned to go on a camping trip to an island close to the mountains. It only took a week to find a boat, or in their case a couple canoes in order to get them there. The group was finally on the road and the van filled with song and cheer. Getting the three red canoes off the top of the van was a little more difficult then what they had inticipated. Even more difficult when they tried to paddle out to the island. It wasn’t as close as they thought. One and a half maybe two miles out. Too far for inexperienced swimmers. 

 

            “I’m livin in the land down undah!” Kangin’s voice echoed throughout the wilderness. A couple of birds exploded from the trees and flew off to find a quieter place to rest.

            Heechul shook his head and crossed his arms. “That’s Australia, stupid.”

            Kangin muttered a few words then began to aid Hankyung with the tents and other supplies. It took everyone to bring everything to their designated spot, which didn’t seem as good as what they thought. Therefore, leading them to choose another spot.

            It was practically spring and the air was fresh and crisp. The trees were beginning to bud and some even had leaves. Pine and other needled trees covered most of the Island. What with all the hills and dense tree areas, one could easily find themselves lost on the little island.

            Finally, after scouring over hill after hill, the group determined that the place they stood was as good as any other. Tall pine trees surround the tiny open area. They were close enough to the river that they needn’t worry about lack of water. While putting up the tents, they found out it was a little harder than it appeared to be. Yesung had lost track at how many times one of the rods had flicked up and whipped him in the face. Kyuhyun could barely hold his laughter until a rod missed its place and slapped him straight across the forehead. Understanding each other’s pain they gave up and unpacked some of the food that had been packed. The food consisted of kimchi, ramen, and beans. Kyuhyun stuck out his tongue in disgust.

            “What is this?” he demanded to everyone and anyone. Leeteuk, who just barely dodged another loose rod that sliced through the air just over his head, looked up and nodded. “Ah, they’re beans. It’s what westerners eat in the cowboy movies.”

            “Ah yes. I know that. But why is it here? We’re not going to eat this are we?” Kyuhyun frowned in distaste. The other laughed which answered the given question.

 

            Donghae stretched his back and lifted his arms. He smiled as he looked out a little patch of cleared trees where he could see the clear, blue lake. Hmm. It’s perfect.

            Sungmin and Heechul bounded in his direction then placed themselves on either side of him. They took in the same sent and scenery and were equally pleased.

            “I’ve never been camping before.” Heechul sighed in defeat.

            “I have. In my mom’s backyard. When I was little.” Sungmin bit his lip. “That counts, you know.”

            Before the two could protest Sungmin turned to them with big, brown eyes, and an adorable pout on his lips. Heechul coughed while Donghae nodded.

            “Of course it counts.”

            “If you put it that way.”

            “You’re a naturel.” They praised the little blonde boy. Sungmin beamed as he smiled at his friends. Once again they returned to staring at the blue lake out of the frame of pine and other kinds of trees.

            “Ah.” Kangin exhaled as he walked up to the three pretty boys, who didn’t bother to turn their gaze.

            “Being out here in the wild where I belong. It’s invigorating.” Kangin inhaled and exhaled, showing his beastly nature. “It makes you want to cry out…”

            “You idiot!” Heechul bellowed. Donghae jumped and Kangin, taken aback, only stared at the angry princess.

            “Wh…” Kangin tried to understand, when Heechul his arm forward, pointing towards the lake. Kangin could only follow where the other finger pointed. It didn’t take long to find the thing that was out of place. Three long, red, banana shapes drifted far off in the distance on the blue lake. They seemed to be getting farther and farther away by the second.

            “You didn’t tie them off?!” Heechul hissed.