Chapter 24

To Kill & Love

 

            Eunhyuk stared down at his chest. Two holes were pulsing out black liquid on the left side of his chest. He stared, stunned. A wave of weakness washed over him. He leaned on the opposite pillar to Donghae’s. Eunhyuk gaped at Donghae who stared in dismay.

            Jessica walked out a shadow, underneath one of the trees. Another muffled shot rang through the air. The silence sent splinters flying from the pillar Eunhyuk leaned on. The wounded braced himself against the pillar, as did Donghae. Another piece of Eunhyuk’s pillar was chipped off. She was getting closer.

            Eunhyuk dared to peek at his chest again. Dammit. He closed his eyes. The assassin listened for the other assassin’s footsteps. Those steps, deaf to any’s ear, screamed in his. Slowly, he raised his right arm and listened. Three. Two. One. Eunhyuk swung his right arm and felt contact. The gun clattered against the stone. Jessica dived to retrieve it, as did the other. Eunhyuk grabbed her hand with the gun in it. A silence shot rang out.

            She cursed and tried to kick the fool looming over her. One swing caught the side of his side. Staggering backwards he clutched his chest. Every breath was shortened. As tried to reclaim his balance, Jessica lined the gun to face Donghae. She squeezed the trigger too late. Eunhyuk kicked her hand and diverted the shot.

            With his elbow he struck her head, leaving her stunned. Without hesitation he flipped her to the ground and pressed the gun to her head. He breathed heavily. Ever intake of breath was somehow cut off and restricted. He ran his finger along the trigger. He was furious. Every movement she made, infuriated him. Every breath she stole from this world made his blood boil. A sound from Donghae’s direction broke his line of thought. Eunhyuk relaxed. She smiled and shrugged.

            “I’m not like you.” Eunhyuk hissed then hit her across the face, knocking her out cold.

            Eunhyuk wheezed and clasped a hand over his chest. Ah! He winced in pain. Donghae! His heart dropped for the second time that evening. He looked to find Donghae who, to his relief was still hiding behind the pillar. Eunhyuk stood up and stumbled towards Donghae. Each step was excruciating.

            “Dongh…” Eunhyuk saw Donghae’s face. The boy’s eyes were wide with fear. Eunhyuk hid his face to shield his only love’s eyes. Dammit, he silently cried as he wiped the blood away from his chin and mouth.

            “Donghae, you need to run back to the...” Eunhyuk wavered. The world was spinning and his head pulse what little blood he had left. Involuntarily he fell to his knees and gasped for breath. Ah! It burned then was cooled as he coughed up warm liquid. Blood dripped down the corner of his mouth. Donghae was by his side, holding him up.

            Donghae... “Apartment. Stay hidden. Then you… take subway. No bus…” he whispered between useless gasps of precious air.

            Donghae shook his head. “But she’ll…”

            “Run, she won’t… You’ll…” he breathed restlessly. Donghae didn’t understand.

            “Why do you keep staying ‘you, you, you.’ You’re coming with me, right?” Donghae fixed his eyes upon the beautiful, bloody assassin in his arms. Eunhyuk stared at him weakly; his eyes filled with longing and unconditional love. With a whimper Donghae shook his head furiously.

            “No, no, no! You’re coming with me. We need to get you to a hospital!” Donghae started to quiver uncontrollably. Tears filled the brim his eyes then over flowed easily. He refused to lose as he tried to help Eunhyuk up. The other stood as much as he could.

            “No hospital, she might be there. Wait for a whi...” Eunhyuk was cut off by his own coughing. Blood dripped down the sides of his mouth. Every gasp was horrifying to hear. For a second Eunhyuk lost consciousness.

            The next thing he saw were the trees, walking by his view. No. He was moving. Eunhyuk was on Donghae’s back. Every jolt, Eunhyuk felt his life spill out. He breathed awkwardly and uneasily. Donghae. Run...

            “Hold on. Eunhyuk!” Donghae breathed heavily.

            Eunhyuk begged to keep consciousness only to hear the angel sing once again. Such a beautiful voice. “I’m sorry...” he barely mouthed. He had won. Donghae was alive.