Chapter 21

To Kill & Love

 

            Donghae shivered and lifted his scarf higher to hide his face. Eunhyuk stared out the taxi window and closed his eyes. I can almost smell it. He breathed in deeply.

            Finally, the taxi dropped them off. Eunhyuk paid the driver and turned to Donghae who shook in his shoes. “It’s cold.” he whined.

            Eunhyuk grinned. “It’s getting warmer. March is just around the corner and snow will be melting by then. Then April,” he paused and closed his eyes. “We’ll be soaking up the sun. Hot and beautiful.” he sighed the looked at Donghae who wasn’t impressed and was still shivering.

            “Uh huh. April. Got it. Sun; hot and beautiful. Yup sure.” Donghae walked passed Eunhyuk and towards the building they were dropped off at. Eunhyuk rushed ahead and opened the door for him.

            Once inside someone brought them to a table and welcomed them. “Welcome to Momo’s Fresh Sea Food and Chips, what can I get for you today?” she said smiling far too happily.

            Eunhyuk and Donghae ordered what they wanted and waited. A few minutes later their food arrived. Eunhyuk began eating immediately while Donghae sipped his water. The food was, as always, amazing. Sea salt covered the fries and the crab was fresh. Everything was perfect.

 

            Donghae munched on a fry and gazed randomly around the room. Something different caught his eye; at the far end of the diner a young woman with her back to him. She had long blonde hair. Hm, you don’t see that often.

            “Kangin’s thinking of shaving his head.” Eunhyuk interrupted his thoughts. Donghae swallowed his fry and thought for a second. Bald? Kangin? A picture of a shiny bowling ball came into Donghae’s mind. Donghae began to laugh uncontrollably. “No, no, no. We’re going to have to tell him not to. He’d look horrible.” Donghae smiled. Eunhyuk chuckled and nodded. “I know.”

 

            After they had finished eating all they could, they got up and walked to the door. Eunhyuk took money out of his pocket and handed it to the lady.

            “Thank you for coming and come again soon.” she smiled and tried to pout her lips to look y. Eunhyuk smiled, uninterested, and turned to Donghae who was staring at the aqua tank. Lobsters were trying unsuccessfully to climb the tank walls. Donghae looked at the sign that said caught on February 10th.

            “What’s the date today?” Donghae asked Eunhyuk, still looking into the tank. Eunhyuk frowned and thought. “The 18th?” he asked himself. Unsatisfied he turned to the lady at the counter who was still watching him.

“Excuse me? Do you know what the date is?”

            Thrilled the woman smiled and looked down. The woman crossed her arms to unsuccessfully create the illusion of bigger s to make her look appealing and tempting. She looked back up and fluttered her eyelashes. Eunhyuk tried to smile.

            “It’s the 13th. The day before Valentine’s Day.” she said then leaned over the counter, making sure he could see as much of her chest as he could. “If you’re not busy...” she winked and blew him a kiss.

            “Valentine’s Day?” Donghae looked at the lobster and tapped the glass tank. He then turned to look at the lady leaning over the counter. Cocking his head to the side he looked at her chest. “Hey, should do up your buttons. You might catch a cold.” Donghae smiled kindly. The woman sneered and stood up straight.

            Eunhyuk bit his lip from laughing. He’s too oblivious.

            Donghae walked to the lady and dug into his pocket. “Here, these are cough drops. They’ll help with coughs, you know, just in case.” he smiled. The lady glared at him for distracting her view of seeing her new prey.

            Eunhyuk covered his mouth and tried his utmost hardest not to laugh. He smiled and walked up the Donghae and the lady who seemed to notice him coming. Hmm, what about this?

            “Babe, I think she has some. Let’s go.” He grabbed Donghae’s waist. The look on the woman’s face changed instantly. She cocked her head to the side, clearly confused.

            “Okay.” Donghae sighed.

            Eunhyuk stared at the woman who watched as Donghae didn’t not flinch at Eunhyuk’s touch. Eunhyuk grinned evilly.Not enough?

            “Let’s go.” He grabbed Donghae’s hand and smiled at him. They walked to the front door where Eunhyuk opened it for Donghae. Donghae stepped out and shivered. “Ah, cold.”

            Before Eunhyuk crossed under the door he could see out of the corner of his eye the woman’s face filled with shock and disbelief. Eunhyuk walked out of the restaurant and caught up to Donghae.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “Valentine’s Day?” Donghae sighed on the couch, back at home. Eunhyuk flipped through the channels not really liking any of them. Donghae sighed again. “What do you want to do for Valentine’s Day?” he asked.

            Eunhyuk stopped flipping through the channels. “I need to go pick something up across town.”

            “How far away?”

            “Two hours.”

            “Oh.” Donghae pouted. He sighed again. “Okay.”

 

            After a couple hours they went to bed. Eunhyuk yawned and closed his eyes. Valentine’s Day. He smiled in his sleep.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “What time are you coming back?” asked Donghae who sat on the couch rubbing his eyes. Eunhyuk looked at his watch. “It’s 1: 30 now, so I’ll be back at 5:30.”

 

            Donghae nodded and stared at the ground. Eunhyuk sighed. Don’t look so sad, he smiled. I’ll be back soon. Eunhyuk opened the door. “See you.” he yelled. He heard Donghae mumble the word ‘bye’ and closed the door.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae heard the door close. He smiled and stood up. “Time to bake the chocolate cake!” he sang happily. He bounced to the kitchen and looked in the cupboards for the cake mix. Where is it?

            After a couple of minutes he found it he set it on the counter. He paused. “I need music.” Donghae raced to his room and brought back their plug in radio. He plugged it in and turned it on. He skimmed through the stations and finally stopped at one he liked.

            “And now our next song will be by none of than Super Junior, No other...” the talk host said then started playing the song.

            Donghae frowned. “Hmm, who’s Super Junior?” He started to get the things he would need to make the cake. After a while he was bouncing to the song. Donghae smiled and looked out the window. Light flurries fell from the white sky. Valentine’s day. He beamed and continued to dance.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk stared through the window of the taxi and sighed. Are you serious? He sighed again and rubbed his neck. “Are you sure you can’t go any faster?” he asked the taxi driver. The driver glared at him through the mirror.

            “You see how fast I go now? You see blizzard outside? I go fast enough.” the driver yelled at Eunhyuk who gnawed on his lip.

            Eunhyuk glared angrily at the snow outside. White. White was covering everything. Everything! He lifted his watch and checked the time. 2:45 pm. He closed his eyes and bit his lip again. It’s okay. Just calm down.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae took the cake out of the oven. “Ah, ah, ah! Hot, hot!” he placed the cake on the stovetop. “There we go.” He looked at his magnificent creation. The cake was perfect. He closed his eyes as he smelled the wonderful chocolate wonder.

            Out of nowhere Donghae giggled happily. “I want to eat it!” No! Donghae covered his mouth. You can’t. It’s for Eunhyuk. Today is going to be perfect. He nodded.

            “Today is perfect.”

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk walked out of the store with what he had come for. His coat bulged at his chest. The snow fell down heavily. It was freezing out. Eunhyuk zipped up his coat as high as it would go. Stay warm. He patted his overly huge chest.

            Eunhyuk walked back to the place he had left the taxi. He looked around and saw nothing. “Hey... where’s my...” Taxi? Eunhyuk growled. This cannot be happening to me today.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “Glide. My precious.” Donghae hissed at he spread the dark, rich, chocolate icing over the wonderfully delicious cake. You will be perfect. Donghae laughed evilly as the dark sweetness covered the moist cake. “You are complete!” He raised his head and hands in victory.

            “Perfect!” he cried. He looked down at his masterpiece then suddenly frowned. “You need... something.” he rubbed his chin. Something like...

            “Sprinkles!” he yelled. He looked around and in the cupboards. Hmm. Nothing. He looked at his cake. I have to go the store. He glared at the cake. “You are not complete.”

           

            Before Donghae walked out of the apartment he glanced at the clock. 4:58 pm. He smiled. I have all the time in the world. He bounced down the hall and out of the apartment.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk looked at the phone book. He shifted the bulge in his chest. He scanned through the phone book.

            “Won’t you hurry up!” yelled an elderly witch waiting behind him. Eunhyuk turned around and smiled. “Yes.” You evil, devil woman. Finally, he found what he was looking for and dialled the number. He heard it ring three times before someone picked it up.

            “Meh, what do you want?” said the taxi driver on the other end of the phone. Eunhyuk smiled in relief. “I would like a ride to...” Eunhyuk told him where he would like to go and where he was.

            When he was done he heard the driver burp but chose to ignore it. “Fine. I’ll be there in a half an hour.”

            “What? Can you come sooner?” Eunhyuk asked hurriedly. The man scoffed. “Do you see what’s outside? I’ll be there when I get there.” the driver said grumpily then hung up.

            Eunhyuk stared at the phone book. You can not be serious?

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae walked back up the stairs to his and Eunhyuk’s apartment. A door to his left opened. “Oh. Hey.” Hankyung smiled. Donghae bowed and smiled. “Hi.”

            Hankyung laughed. “So what are you doing?” Donghae lifted the bag. “Sprinkles. I made a cake.” He couldn’t help but smile. Hankyung nodded and put a scarf around his neck. Donghae raised a curious eyebrow. “Are you going out?” Hankyung paused and smiled. “I’m going to buy...”

            “Don’t forget the chocolate syrup and the whip cream. Oh, and the strawberries!” Heechul shouted from inside of the apartment. Hankyung quickly shut the door and the sound was muffled. Donghae saw his face turn a deep red. They’re making a cake too? It was such a great idea. He smiled. “I’m waiting for Eunhyuk to return.”

            Hankyung puckered his lips then nodded. “Well, I should go...”

            The door opened. “Oh you’re still – Donghae! How are you?” Heechul stood in the doorway. He wore dark blue jeans and nothing else. His hair was slightly messy. Donghae smiled and bowed. “I’m fine. You?”

            Heechul grinned. “Oh, yes.”

            Hankyung coughed as Heechul giggled. “Okay, see you Donghae. And you too.” He winked at the other who sighed and shook his head. Donghae smiled and turned to leave. “Oh yeah. Have fun baking the cake.”

            “Cake?” Heechul raised an eyebrow.

            “We will.” Hankyung yelled and fought to shut their door. Heechul pushed with all his might to keep it open. “Cake? What cake?” Hankyung was finally able to latch the door, and exhaled in relief. He sighed then smiled. “See you.”

            Donghae waved him off and walked up to the apartment. Everyone’s happy.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

           

            “What?” Eunhyuk yelled. “Are you serious?” The fat, grubby driver in the front seat grunted. “Yup, stuck just like a pig in mud.” he laughed hoarsely.

            Eunhyuk looked at his watch. 5:47 pm. He shook his head. “This should not be happening.” he cried out loud. The driver hummed a song. “Don’t worry the tow truck will be here any minute.” He paused. “Or with this weather...” he trailed off.  Eunhyuk whined in the backseat.

            After waiting a half an hour. The tow truck finally arrived. The cab was towed out of the snow bank and put back on the road. The taxi driver thanked the tow truck man and shuffled his weight back into the taxi.

             The outer exterior of Eunhyuk appeared perfectly composed as he sat in the back seat. He lifted his hands and put them together “Please,” he closed his eyes. “Please can you get me to my apartment?” he paused and thought. “Alive?” he quickly added.

            The man grunted and laughed. “Why? D'you got a woman waiting for you at home?” The man grinned and winked at him through the mirror. Eunhyuk sighed. Kill me. Just kill me now. Please?

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae gazed at the art in front of him. He thought he could cry. Perfect. He sighed. “Perfect.” He put saran wrap on top of the cake and placed it in the fridge.

            After cleaning everything up he looked around the spotless kitchen. Now what should I do?

            Finally Donghae decided to make supper. Everything was planned out, set out, and ready. He began, once again, another masterpiece.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk stared out of the window. He had lost track of time. Dazed and out of it he lifted his hand to his chest to make sure the swelling was still there. Half satisfied he let his hand fall. Is Donghae mad? Is he happy? He’s probably crying. I’m hungry. I’m going to cry. Donghae. I’m sorry. I disappointed you. Donghae…

            “...sir? Sir? Your stop. We’re here. You’re home to your lady.” Said a far away voice.Here. Home. Lady? He frowned and focused his eyes as he still looked out the window. Home? Home! He stared happily at the familiar red-bricked apartment. “Donghae!” he smiled.

            “Donghae?” the taxi driver frowned. “Is that your dog?” he asked. Eunhyuk smiled as he shoved the money into the driver’s hand. “Nope, that’s my boyfriend.” He smiled as he bounded out of the taxi and out of view from the stunned driver.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Donghae smiled as he looked at the table. Two plates, two sets of forks and knives, two glasses, and a whole table full of wonder food. He sighed and wiped his forehead, completely full of satisfaction. He sat down and looked around. Clean. He nodded. I hope Eunhyuk likes it. He closed his eyes and grinned. I wonder when he’ll be ho...

            “Donghae!” Donghae heard Eunhyuk’s voice and the front door open. Eunhyuk? Home already? He stood up to walk to the entrance when Eunhyuk appeared. Donghae frowned. “Why do you look pregnant?”

            Eunhyuk appeared to be confused. The other looked down. Water was dripping from his coat and covered his pants. “Oh, my... Your water broke!” he screamed.