Chapter 15

To Kill & Love

 

            “What happened?” Eunhyuk demanded.

            Sungmin pointed to the chips. “He had a couple of them then he started coughing.” Eunhyuk, with Donghae in his arms grabbed a chip and smelled it. “Shrimp?” he asked. Kyuhyun nodded, confused.

            Donghae was coughing violently. Eunhyuk turned him around so he was laying on his back in his arms. “Donghae, Donghae!” he yelled. “Breathe, you can do it.”

            Sungmin was crying. “What’s wrong?” asked Kangin. Eunhyuk grimaced as he looked at him. “He’s deathly allergicto sea food.” The people around Eunhyuk and Donghae froze. No one said anything. Leeteuk spoke up. “Should we call the hospital?”

            “It’s to far away. He’ll never make it.” he answered quickly. Donghae’s coughing turned to gasps for air. Eunhyuk was breathing heavily. He closed his eyes and thought for a second.

            “Do you have epinephrine?”

            Leeteuk shook his head. All of a sudden his eyes grew wide. “We have Benadryl. I’ll get it.”

            Eunhyuk nodded then be game shouting orders. “Get me water, a lot of it, and salt, lots of salt.” he shouted. Eunhyuk slumped to the ground and laid Donghae on his lap. Donghae gasped for breath. Eunhyuk bit his knuckle. Please, please don’t die. Donghae. Kibum handed him the water and salt. At once, Eunhyuk poured all the salt in the water and crushed the Benadrylinto powder. He moved so fast. He mixed them all and brought it to Donghae’s lips.

            “Please, drink.” Eunhyuk let some waterfall into Donghae’s mouth. It dripped down the side of his mouth. “You need to drink it!” he yelled. Tears were falling down the side of Donghae’s face. He wasn’t the only one crying. The helpless group surrounding them were crying as well. Few were silent as they watched helplessly.

            Eunhyuk poured a little more into his mouth. It fell down the sides. ! Eunhyuk held Donghae’s head in one arm and the jug in the other. He lifted the jug to his own mouth then set it down. Carefully he lifted Donghae’s head. Their lips met.

            Little salt water dripped down the sides of Donghae’s mouth. Eunhyuk brought his head back up. Donghae coughed and sputtered. He gasped for air. Eunhyuk drank from the jug again and brought his mouth down to Donghae’s. Donghae coughed again and again.

            Eunhyuk repeated this process numerous times. He set Donghae’s head down on his thighs.  Donghae don’t go. “Breathe. Breathe.” he heard himself say. The other people were on the floor far enough away. Tears fell down their faces.

            Donghae’s breaths were small and fragile. Eunhyuk brought him closer. Donghae’s back was on Eunhyuk’s chest. Eunhyuk placed his hand on his roommate’s chest. “Breathe. Breathe with me. In and out.” Eunhyuk didn’t realize the tears falling down his face. “Donghae. Please breathe.” Donghae, don’t go. I... I... Eunhyuk cried.

            Donghae clutched Eunhyuk’s pant leg as he struggled to gasp for air. His eyes were closed and tears rolled down his cheeks. Eunhyuk let out a sigh and tears fell down cheeks. “Donghae. Please, breathe. Don’t die on me. Not now.” Eunhyuk cried. I... I love you.

            He didn’t notice the others watching him with tears free falling down their cheeks. He didn’t notice anything. He didn’t care about anything. Nothing, but the body on his chest.

            “Donghae.” he cried. “Breathe with me.” He moved his hand on Donghae’s quivering chest. “Breathe.” Slowly Donghae was trying to match Eunhyuk’s breathing. His breaths were short and forced. Finally Donghae’s gasps lessened and his breathing was mildly matching Eunhyuk’s.

            Eunhyuk chocked back crying.Thank you. The tears fell. But they were not sad tears. Eunhyuk asked for clean water. He gently poured it in Donghae’s mouth. Donghae drank it. Eunhyuk closed his eyes and breathed with Donghae. He wasn’t sure how long it was before Donghae was asleep. His breathing was regular enough.

            Sungmin crawled toward them. He was still crying. “I’m so sorry.” he said in between gasps. Eunhyuk shook his head. “It not your fault. It's no ones fault. I should have...”

            “No!” Kangin shouted. “This is least of all your fault. You... you just saved his life.” Kangin had tears spilling down his face. “I bought the...” He closed his eyes.

            Eunhyuk shook his head. “Not your fault. He would hate it if you blamed yourself, or any of you. He would hate it, then hate himself.” Eunhyuk took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He waited a couple more minutes before he lifted Donghae up in his arms.

            The others stood up as well. Yesung opened the door. Before Eunhyuk left he turned and faced everyone. “Thank you.” he said. “He’s okay. He’ll be fine. There’s no danger now.”

            The others nodded. Eunhyuk turned to leave and Yesung ran to open their apartment’s door as well. “Are you sure you don’t need any help?” he asked. Eunhyuk shook his head. He walked into the apartment and heard the door close behind him.

            He shuffled to the living room, then into the bedroom. He laid Donghae on the bed. And knelt on the ground beside him. He watched over him for hours, till he himself fell asleep.

 

            “Donghae!” Donghae heard his name being called. Can’t breath.

            “Drink it!... You need to drink it.” Something wet touched his lips but he couldn’t open his mouth. Liquid flowed down the sides of his mouth. Donghae couldn’t breath. Air.It felt like a wire was wrapping itself around his throat to the pit of his stomach. It was quickly tightening and closing the doorway to life. Something soft touched his lips. What?

            They open his lips and liquid fell into his mouth. It was horrible. He coughed. No.Once again something soft touched then opened his lips. The liquid poured in again. Donghae swallow. This happen multiple times before he felt anything change. Slowly the gap in his air tunnel grew bigger. Donghae gasped for breath. It hurts.It was so hard. Someone was talking to him. He couldn't here. Blood drummed in his ears.

            “...Donghae. Please, breath. Don’t die on me. Not now.” Someone was crying. Eunhyuk?

 

            “Eunhyuk?” Donghae rasped. Eunhyuk? He coughed and opened his eyes. He was in his room. How did I get there? Donghae sat up but his head disapproved leaving him no choice but to lay back down. Something held his hand. He looked over to see Eunhyuk asleep over the edge of the bed, holding his hand. Eunhyuk? He squeezed his hand. Eunhyuk moved, slowly he opened his eyes and looked at Donghae.

            “Donghae.” he quickly sat up. “Are you okay? Yesterday, you...” he couldn’t say anything else, his throat was coarse and raspy. Donghae sat up slowly. His own throat burned and he was incredibly thirsty. Eunhyuk stood up and left the room.

            Eunhyuk was back as soon as he left. He held two large glasses of water. Donghae reached out for his. He drank greedily. The water was nice going down his throat. He saw Eunhyuk sip his. Once Donghae finished his Eunhyuk held out his glass.

            “Sure?” Donghae was sounding better already. Eunhyuk nodded. Donghae drained the second glass. That feels better. Donghae felt much better.

            “Are you alright?” asked Eunhyuk. “Can you breathe fine?” Donghae took a couple deep breaths. He felt a slight pressure. “I’m fine. I can breathe.”

            Eunhyuk smiled.

 

            Eunhyuk smiled. Thank god. He looked at Donghae who looked back at him. “Merry Christmas.” he said. Donghae smiled. “Christmas? It is!” he looked at the clock. 2:35pm. “Oh, I didn’t know I’d slept so late.” Eunhyuk waved him off. “You needed it.”

            Donghae swung his legs off the bed. He was still in what he was wearing yesterday. Eunhyuk stood up. Donghae tried to stand up but swayed only for the first second. Eunhyuk caught his arm.

            “I need a shower.” Donghae murmured in disgust. Eunhyuk laughed. “Me too. You go first.” He let him go. Donghae nodded and walked to the bathroom. Eunhyuk heard the door shut and sat on the edge of the bed. His head fell in his hands. I... I just wanted to hold him. He took a deep breath.I didn’t want to let him go. Ever.

 

            Donghae turned the shower on. He was able to breathe fine now. His throat was a little soar, but other than that he was fine. Donghae took off his clothes and stepped into the shower. The water was warm and it rolled down his chest. Donghae let the water drench his hair. He his lips and tried to recall what happened last night.

 

            Leeteuk grinned. “Anyone hungry?” Sungmin grabbed Donghae’s arm. “Let’s go.” As Donghae stood up Sungmin whispered in his ear. “Wow you sure made Eunhyuk blush.” They both laughed and entered the kitchen to where rows of chips and food were.  

            “Did you buy him a present?” asked Sungmin. Donghae nodded. Sungmin smiled. “Eunhyuk is really nice. You’re lucky you got stuck living with him and not some weird guy.”

            Donghae nodded. “He is nice.” He really is.Donghae remembered Eunhyuk shiver under his grasp. He smiled and grabbed a handful of chips. He ate them and grabbed more to eat. Donghae coughed. Must have eaten them to fast.He put them in his mouth one by one, chewed and swallowed. Donghae coughed again. All of a sudden breathing became hard. What? But...He coughed again and again. “Can’t bre...” he gasped.

            “Donghae?” Kyuhyun asked. “Donghae, what’s wrong?” Donghae grabbed the closest thing to him. He couldn’t breathe. Eunhyuk. I can’t breath. Donghae fell. Someone caught him.

            “What happened?” Donghae heard someone shout. He coughed harder. Air. I can’t breathe. Eunhyuk!

            Donghae coughed. His throat was on fire. People were shouting.Eunhyuk.

            “...deathly allergic to shrimp.” Donghae couldn’t hear that well. Blood drummed in his ears. “...never make it.” People were talking. He heard his name being called over and over again. Donghae what he could into his lungs. Nothing came. Eunhyuk.

 

            Water fell in Donghae’s eyes. He blinked it away.

            After he was done with the shower he stepped out and wrapped a towel around him. He sighed and looked into the mirror. He couldn’t see anything. It was covered in steam. He used his hand to wipe away a spot. He saw his face, his lips. Yesterday’s lips…

 

            “You need to drink it!” he heard someone shout. It sounded like Eunhyuk. Donghae couldn’t breath. Something soft touched his lips. What?They drove them apart...

           

            Donghae touched his lips. Eunhyuk. He kissed me? Donghae looked in the mirror.

 

            “Awe come on... Yeah you can... I’ve done worse, trust me... I’ll do it!” the guys encouraged Eunhyuk. Donghae tilted his face up. A little piece of paper was between his lips. Can he get it? Should I lift my face higher?

            Eunhyuk leaned in. Donghae could see him hesitate then fly forward. Their lips met. Donghae stared at Eunhyuk with his eyes wide. Eunhyuk was the same. Huh?

            Eunhyuk recoiled back. The others laughed. Donghae stared at Eunhyuk. Did he just... They pushed him. But, his lips touched… mine. Donghae felt warm.

 

            Donghae clutched the sides of the sink. Twice? We kissed twice? He looked in the mirror again then closed his eyes. No. We kissed three times. Donghae the side of his lip where Eunhyuk’s lip had met his. There was once a small cut, now, fully healed.

            Donghae watched as the steam covered the mirror again. He breathed heavily. In his mind he saw Eunhyuk asleep. His sleeping face was beautiful. He then thought of when he had fallen on Eunhyuk, then having slept on his chest the whole night. Donghae smiled. He was so warm.

            Donghae shook his head then slapped his cheeks. What am I thinking? Eunhyuk is a guy. I’m a guy. He walked and put on a pair of pants he had taken from the clean laundry pile. He looked around.No shirt? Jeez.

            Donghae opened the door and stepped out. He walked to the bedroom. Before he walked in he stopped. Eunhyuk sat on the side of the bed, his head in his hands. What’s wrong? He wanted to reach out and touch him, but held back.

            After a minute he walked in. “Shower’s yours.” he said as casually as he could.

 

            Eunhyuk didn’t move for what seemed an eternity.Donghae’s a guy and I’m a guy. He sighed. But, these feelings... Can I just turn them off? I’m sure I can, right? He rubbed his eyes and sighed again.Can I?

            Eunhyuk sat and drowned himself in his thoughts. Donghae is... He sighed.

            “Shower’s yours.” Eunhyuk lifted his head and saw Donghae walk into the room. He was shirtless. Eunhyuk stood up and walked toward him. Donghae’s pale skin looked like marble; so smooth and soft. Water dripped from his wet hair.

            Donghae stared at Eunhyuk who moved closer. Donghae’s eyes were a deep brown framed by dark lashes. Eunhyuk lifted his arm. It was inches from Donghae’s face. He paused then laid it on his shoulder. “I’m glad your okay.” he said then hesitantly walked out of the room.

           

            Eunhyuk let the water shower over him. He lifted his face and water poured down on it. It was warm and relaxing, like the hot spring…

 

            The water from the hot spring was hot and relaxing. Eunhyuk stared at the guy in front of him. Steam hovered over his pale skin. His black hair gently caressed his face and dripped water. Donghae breathed in and out. His cool breath cooled Eunhyuk's warm face. It smelt sweet. Eunhyuk closed his eyes and breathed.

            Donghae’s hand moved slightly down his arm. As Donghae did Eunhyuk copied, feeling Donghae’s skin. Smooth.

 

            Eunhyuk sighed. He touched his chest above his heart. It was beating fast. He quickly finished and took fresh clothes from the pile. No shirt. He pursed his lips. He walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. He found a shirt and walked out of the room. He lifted his arms to put on the shirt as he walked into the kitchen.

            The shirt was sticking to his wet arms. Finally he got it over his head. He saw Donghae staring at him. All of a sudden Eunhyuk felt his face turn warm. He put down his arms. Then realizing the shirt still hung to his chest, he pulled it down.

 

            Donghae heard someone walk toward the kitchen. Eunhyuk turned the corner. His arms were lifted as he tried to put his shirt on. Donghae watched as Eunhyuk’s hard muscled flexed. He swallowed. Eunhyuk finally got the shirt over his head. Donghae caught his eye. Oh, crap, he freaked. He looked down but found himself looking at Eunhyuk’s abs. Eunhyuk put the shirt all the way down and walked to the counter.

            Donghae punched his head. Stupid. He saw you. Donghae sighed and pouted at his stupidity. Eunhyuk sat at the table with a glass of water.

            “Hey.” he said.

            “Hey.” Donghae whispered. He thought of something he could say. “It’s Christmas. Merry Christmas.” he smiled. Eunhyuk laughed and smiled as well. “Yeah it is. What do you want to do today?”

            Donghae thought for a second then looked at the clock. 3:18pm. “I just want to stay here with you.” he decided. Eunhyuk nodded.

            “We’ll do that, but first,” he paused. “We need to go visit the other guys and tell them you’re okay. They were really worried.” Eunhyuk thought of yesterday and shuddered. Donghae nodded. “Okay.”

 

            For a couple hours Eunhyuk and Donghae had to convince each person that Donghae was okay.

            Sungmin started crying again when he saw Donghae; therefore they spent extra time at Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s apartment.

            After seeing each person, telling them Donghae was all right and not to worry and wishing them a merry Christmas, they walked back up stairs to their apartment.

 

            Eunhyuk sat on the couch and Donghae did the same. The next thing Eunhyuk knew was it was dark. He yawned. Donghae was in the other side of the couch, asleep. Eunhyuk rubbed his own face then smiled. He stood up and walked to the kitchen.

 

            Donghae yawned and opened his eyes. It was dark out. Eunhyuk? He looked around. The kitchen lights were on. He stood up and shuffled to the kitchen. When he peered around the corner. There was wonderful food on the table. Eunhyuk was over the stove. He dropped some sort of liquid into the pan and giant flames leaped into the air.

            “Whoa.” Donghae stared, impressed. Eunhyuk turned around. “Oh, Donghae. Just in time.” He placed what was in the pan in a bowl and placed it on the table. Donghae sat down. The food looked amazing. Eunhyuk encouraged him to eat. The food was amazing. Eunhyuk sat down and ate with Donghae.

            When finished, Donghae smiled happily. “Thank you. That was amazing.” he chimed. Eunhyuk nodded and smiled. He liked seeing Donghae smiled.

            They cleaned up and walked into the living room. “Wait.” Donghae said all of a sudden and ran from the room. He came back with a box in his hands. Eunhyuk remembered the present he had bought Donghae.

            “Um, wait here.” he left the room then returned with a package wrapped in wrapping paper. Eunhyuk smiled. “Here.” He placed it on Donghae’s lap.

            “For me?” he smiled. Donghae looked at the present then slowly unwrapped it. He burst out laughing as he saw the blanket. “I love it!” he cried out with joy. He stood up and held it up. A small box fell from within the folded blanket. Donghae picked it up.

            “What’s this?” he picked at the ribbon. The ribbon fell on the floor and Donghae picked up the small box’s lid. Inside the box was a small black silver cross. A silver rose was wrapped around the cross. Donghae looked at Eunhyuk who looked at his feet. “Eunhyuk, it’s beautiful.”

            Eunhyuk coughed. “I shouldn’t have gotten you such a girly thing.”

            “No, I really love it.” Donghae smiled. Eunhyuk looked up and saw Donghae smiling. He smiled as well. He felt his face warming. Donghae put on the necklace. It hung contently from his neck. He then turned around and set a large box in front of Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. “What is this?” he asked. Donghae laughed. “Your present.”

            “What? I said not to get me anything.” Eunhyuk growled. Donghae grinned and pushed the box closer to Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk took the box and sighed. He opened it and saw a bag; he looked in the bag and saw a present wrapped up. He took the present and opened it. He smiled. A pair of dark grey knitted mittens with black hearts on them and a dark grey knitted scarf was in the wrappings. He put them on and they fit perfectly. He smiled. “Thank you.” he said.

            Donghae smiled. “I knitted them myself!” he chimed. “Oh sorry about the hearts the lady said I had to choose a pattern and I didn’t think you’d want flowers. So, yeah.”

            “No really, they’re great. Truly manly.” Eunhyuk smiled. He then stood up and was about to clean up the mess when Donghae hugged him.

            Huh? Eunhyuk froze.

            “Thank you.” Donghae hugged tighter. “Thank you for saving my life. And the presents.” he barely whispered. Eunhyuk hesitated, and then wrapped his arms around Donghae. “No, thank you.” he sighed. Eunhyuk held Donghae close. I love you.