Chapter 9

To Kill & Love

 

            “How could you forget?” Eunhyuk quickly grabbed his and Donghae’s luggage and threw it into the cab they’d thankfully found.

            “I forgot! I called a long time ago!” shouted Donghae.

            “It was two weeks ago!”

            They climbed into the cab and drove through the city. Once out of the city they travelled the country. It was beautiful. Eunhyuk breathed deeply and sighed. He couldn’t remember the last time he left the city.

            They finally made the turn that would lead them to the hot springs. Far out of the city and away from people, that is what Eunhyuk liked. Donghae was just as excited. Good food, as many baths as you’d like and you can sleep for as long as your heart would desire.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “Welcome.” chimed the two cute girls in kimonos in front of them. Donghae waved and smiled shyly. Eunhyuk bit his lip and tried not to roll his eyes. After getting their luggage the two ladies brought them into the bathhouse.

            It was an old traditional bathhouse with paper sliding doors and blankets and pillows for a bed. The walls were white and calm, the floors, either hard wood or bamboo. It was cold outside and the coolness from the air seeped into the house making everything cool to the touch.

            The two girls showed them to their room then left, smiling. Eunhyuk rummaged though his luggage. “We hope we can help you with anything.” Eunhyuk horribly mimicked the two girls’ words after they left. “Anything?” Eunhyuk smiled sarcastically. “Then keep your clothes on.” he mumbled.

            Donghae walked into the room with a bathrobe on and held out another. “Wanna go?” he asked awaiting a positive answer. Eunhyuk sighed. “Yeah.” he said quickly and took the bathrobe.

           

            Donghae coughed. “Why... is it... so steamy? Cold, cold. I can’t see... anything!” he yelled between coughs. “Can’t find the po – Whoa!”

            Eunhyuk heard a splash and smiled. “Find it?” He heard a gasp for breath. “Found it!” Eunhyuk laughed and shook his head. He felt his way towards the pool and gently climbed in, leaving behind his bathrobe.

            The steam slowly dispersed and disappeared. Donghae peeled off the wet bathrobe he fell in the water with and placed it on the side. “Couldn’t see anything.” he mumbled to himself clearly embarrassed.

            Eunhyuk and Donghae sat in the creamy, milky water. It was hot and relaxing. The mild steam hovered over the water giving everything a calm and peaceful aura. A few silent minutes let the two boys soak everything in. The peacefulness, calmness, everything. Relaxation was the only thing one could truly feel whilst at a hot spring.

 

            Donghae moved closer and stretched. “Isn’t this nice?” Eunhyuk could see Donghae peeking to see if he had reacted in any way. Eunhyuk sighed. “Water’s a little cold.”

            “What? Is it?”

            Eunhyuk laughed splashed some water over Donghae’s way. “Hey.” shouted Donghae who splashed him back. A wave not near enough to douse someone completely but enough to get Eunhyuk wet, swept over him. He lifted his arm to block the water from going into his eyes. “Ah.” he winced in pain. It had been weeks since his shoulder had last hurt.

            “What? Are you okay?” Donghae glided through the water and sat beside Eunhyuk. He touched his shoulder gently.

            Surprised, Eunhyuk froze. “Uh, I’m fine.” Donghae did not look convinced. “Let me see.”

            Gently, Donghae made Eunhyuk turn away from him so he could see his back and shoulder. He gently touched his shoulder. “What did you do to it?” Eunhyuk remembered the day...

 

            Eunhyuk aligned the scope perfectly. His aim, perfect. His chances of missing? Impossible. He looked at his watch then through the scope once again. He took a deep breath. Three, two...A man walked into the middle of where the two lines crossed in through the scope. One.All of a sudden a little girl and a woman came into view. Eunhyuk shifted his aim at the last second. The bullet buzzed past the man ear in into a vase. .

            He could hear screams and saw chaos. He re-aimed and fired. The bullet went through the man’s head as blood sprayed the wall behind him. There was an uproar yet Eunhyuk was already up and packing his things. It took him seconds. Behind him he heard gunfire. Dirt flew up in front of him. Dammit. Bad day. He ran toward the roof edge. It was a far drop to the river below him. To far.

            He grabbed a robe from within his bag and looped it over a pipe a few meters away. The shots were getting closer and more precise. One grazed his left leg. “Ah!” He fell to early.

            He crashed into the wall with his left side, crushing the bones in his shoulder and some ribs. “Ah!” he screamed out loud letting go of the rope. He fell.

 

            Eunhyuk shuddered at the memory. “Uh, I fell on it a while ago. Broke a few bones. Nothing much.”

            “What?” Donghae felt around with his finger tips then his palm. “Yeah, your right. That must have hurt.”

            Eunhyuk didn’t move nor was he paying attention. What is he doing? Donghae began gently massaging Eunhyuk’s shoulder to his back. Wha...

            “My mom used to do this for me when I hurt myself or was in pain.” he whispered. Eunhyuk felt the nice pressure on his shoulder then move down his back. The fingers glided gently across his skin. The sound of water splashing from the small waterfall echoed through the open area. The steam that hovered and lingered in the air all around them gave a calming aura. Eunhyuk found himself closing his focus.

            The soft touch of Donghae’s finger’s disappeared. Eunhyuk opened his eyes, startled. All of a sudden Donghae was in front of him. “Give me your hand.”

            Hesitantly Eunhyuk lifted his hand and gave it to Donghae. Donghae placed Eunhyuk’s hand on his left shoulder. With Donghae’s other hand he placed it on Eunhyuk’s left shoulder.

            “Now, feel my shoulder and think of your own.” he waited. Eunhyuk didn’t move. “My mother did this after. She would place her hand on what was hurting and take my hand and place it on the same spot on her body. She said the body will then now what’s wrong and fixed it. She said that the bad energy in your body will flow into my hand, up my arm, through my heart, then travel back into you through your hand on me.” he smiled and closed his eyes. “That was a long time ago.”

            Eunhyuk stared at the guy in front of him. “Donghae, where are you’re parents?” he asked the unthinkable. Knowing his targets past? Not aloud. Never ask questions.

            Donghae smiled. “My mother had cancer about five years ago. My family borrowed money. We couldn’t pay it back.” He paused. “When my mother died, my father couldn’t handle it. He tried to run away but drove to fast. He died in a car accident.”

            Donghae laughed. “I didn’t know what to do after that. So, I worked. The money was enough for food and rent. It was fine. When they finally had to shut down the building due to poor construction, a miracle happened.”

            Eunhyuk was listening very carefully. A miracle? Donghae smiled and opened his eyes. “I found a new place and,” he paused. “You.”

            Eunhyuk was glad his face was already red, hiding the fact that he was blushing.

            “With twenty-three years over in my life, I’ve never felt better.” Donghae smiled and closed his eyes, re-concentrating on Eunhyuk shoulder. Eunhyuk stared, mesmerized. Steam hovered over the guy’s pale skin. His black hair gently caressed his face and dripped water. Donghae breathed in and out. His cool breath cooled Eunhyuk’s warm face. It smelt sweet. Eunhyuk closed his eyes and breathed.

            Donghae’s hand moved slightly down his arm. As Donghae did, Eunhyuk copied, feeling Donghae’s skin. Smooth.

            Eunhyuk opened his eyes. What did I say? Was that out loud? He looked at Donghae with his eyes closed. Then, Donghae opened an eye. “Do you feel it? Does it feel better? Any,” he paused. “Pain?”

            Eunhyuk was too surprised to say or think anything. Pain? Oh. He moved his shoulder and rolled it around. Nothing. He looked at Donghae who smiled. “Nothing.” he whispered. Donghae nodded his head, satisfied with himself.

            Eunhyuk laughed. No pain. He turned to Donghae. “Thank you. I... I... thank you.” he couldn’t speak. Donghae laid his hand on Eunhyuk’s shoulder. “You’re my best friend. I’d do anything for you.” he smiled kindly. Eunhyuk froze. All of a sudden he felt really warm.Why is my heart beating so fast? He looked at the steam that rolled off Donghae’s body. Heat! That’s it, it’s really hot in here.

            “Um, I’m going to go inside. It’s almost supper so... yeah.” he stuttered. Donghae nodded. “Okay I’ll only stay for a couple more minutes then.”

            “Okay.” Eunhyuk quickly replied and took his bathrobe. Once out of the water he wrapped it around him and walked into the house.

 

            Donghae looked at the sky. Mom was right. He smiled and relaxed in the milky, hot water. The sound of solemn, mild splashing from the waterfall was interrupted by a louder splash.

            “Ah, that feels so good.” he heard a girl’s voice say over the other side of the wall that separated the men’s from the woman’s bath pools.

            “So nice.” said another girly voice. Donghae recognized the two girls voices. The same ones who had welcomed them to the bathhouse. He sighed. I guess I should go now, I don’t want Eunhyuk to...

            “...did you hear about the ghost that died in this bathhouse?”

            Ghost?

            “Ghost?” The girl and Donghae squealed at the same time in fright.

            “Yeah, they say she died by drowning in the men’s pool. Nobody knows if she was murdered or not, but I’m pretty sure she was. They say she haunts the pool every night searching for her killer.” the one girl said slowly. Donghae swallowed. Men’s pool? Every night? Killer! Donghae covered his mouth.

            “What happens?” asked the other girl eagerly. The other one replied. “They say if she finds someone in the pool alone, she’ll drag them down and drown them, just like what happened to her.”

            Donghae was moving toward his soaking wet bathrobe. Before he was able to get out the pool area he heard one of the girls laugh. “What’s really scary is that it was around this time of year she died.” The two girls screamed. Donghae ran from the pool area.

           

            Died? Drown? Alone? Donghae walked quickly toward his and Eunhyuk’s room. Once inside he closed the screen door. He found a yukata. He briskly put it on. It hung loosely from his shoulders. What should I do? A Ghost? He shivered from the thought. I hate ghosts.

            What was that? Donghae shuffled and put his back to the wall. He saw the door move slightly. He grabbed his shoe.Nope. You’re not getting me. The door opened. “Ah!” he jabbed his arm toward the air. “Whoa!” he found himself falling.

            He crashed and fell onto someone. “Ouch.” he rubbed his shoulder. He felt someone holding onto him. Ah! Ghost! Oh.

            “Eunhyuk?” Donghae looked down. Eunhyuk was beneath him with a confused expression. He tilted his head to the left and saw the shoe in Donghae’s hand. “Why are you...”

            “Oh Eunhyuk!” Donghae hugged his friend. “Ghost. They say there was a girl who died in...” Eunhyuk stood up and brought Donghae up with him. It was a quick motion. “Whoa, your strong.” Donghae stood, caught off guard for a second.

            Eunhyuk was looking away and rubbing his neck. “Um, they said to wash up as they bring the food here.” he walked to the open door then paused. “Come on.”

            Food? “Okay.” Donghae chimed, forgetting what he wanted to say so badly.