Chapter 26

To Kill & Love

 

            “Left, left, left! No, your other left!” Heechul screamed at Kangin who was driving psychotically down the unfortunate road. Kangin pushed Heechul out of the way and continued down the road towards the hospital.

            “Shut up! Someone get rid of him. Please!” Kangin begged. Before Heechul could go all diva on him, Hankyung, Kyuhyun, and Sungmin pulled him back in his seat. Kangin pulled the wheel to the right and sped down another street.

            Donghae held Eunhyuk in his arms. Blood dripped down the sides on his mouth. Eunhyuk’s shirt was wet and sticky. Old and fresh blood mixed and overlapped each other. Blood from the same broken body.  

            “Please.” Donghae cried silently. Please god, don’t take him away from me. Please. Every minute that passed, was another minute of agony and fear.

 

            Eunhyuk winced at another jolt of pain that shot through his body. His body would scream with each jolt the van made. It was so cold. The air that made it into his lungs was precious and highly desired. Every exhale was like a nightmare; not knowing if he could take in another breath. Worse than the lack of air that could happen at any moment, was if he couldn’t smell. The scent and taste of metal and iron were nothing to the essence of the boy that held him close. The aroma of an angel.

            The van turned another corner and Eunhyuk felt another wave of cold and weakness wash over him. Without his approval, his mind slipped into darkness.

            A jolt from the van allowed Eunhyuk to regain partial consciousness. The pain that had once seared his every nerve, was now dull and numbed his whole body. Or maybe it was the other way around. He wasn’t sure.

            Once again all was black.

            Wake up! Eunhyuk ripped himself from his dark abyss.

            “…Eunyhuk!”

            Eunhyuk stole what little strength he had left and blinked his eyes open. The room was bright and blinding. No, it wasn’t a light. It was an angel. Donghae was crying and screaming at something. Graciously, the room was slowing down as if to give Eunhyuk more time. Donghae’s face then turned to Eunhyuk. It was pale and shining. His dark hair glistened as pure light pierced through its glossy locks. You are so beautiful. If Eunhyuk didn’t know better he thought he was smiling.

            I love you.

 

            “Eunhyuk!” Donghae screamed. Eunhyuk was on one of the stretchers and was being rushed down the hospital hallway. Finally, Eunhyuk opened his eyes. Donghae almost screamed out in relief.

            “Eunhyuk! Please, stay awake!” Donghae turned to one of the doctors. “Please save him!” he yelled. “I’ll do anything.”

            Donghae looked back down at Eunhyuk who’s his eyes were glistening. They were so beautiful. For a while they gazed at each other, wishing for the impossible; to be locked in time for all eternity.

            Eunhyuk. Those brown eyes were the source of death itself. The eyes of either the devil or its creator. Those eyes, now dull. Donghae felt his heart stop. No. Not his. Eunhyuk’s.

            “Eunhyuk?” Donghae barely whispered. The other’s eyes were gone and distant; staring into everything and nothing.

            “Eunhyuk!” Donghae screamed. All of a sudden one of the doctors grabbed his shoulder and pulled him away from his sole purpose in life. Another pair of arms were grabbing him, tearing him more and painfully farther away. Everything was breaking. His world was shattering before his very eyes. His world died before his very eyes.

            Donghae couldn’t breath. His ears rang in his head. A pitch so high, it was deafening. Donghae felt like his throat was being ripped apart. Before he knew it he was light headed and gasping for breath. Once again his throat seared with pain.

            His body was still being dragged away. He felt he was loosing and fought as hard as he could. He could feel his kicks and punches making contact. A second later the enemy realized their mistake and restrained his arms and legs.

            All of a sudden he felt something pinch his neck. The next moment was completely against his will; The room was spinning and the ground leapt up to meet him. The last thing he knew, he was saved from the collision with ground and lifted up. Then all was black. Eunhyuk.

 

                                                            *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “Dead.”

            Donghae blinked then squinted through the black ness. What? He lifted his hand to see it with no success.

            “Dead,” said the voice again. Donghae searched the blackness for anything yet only one thing.

            “Dead.”

            “Stop it!” Donghae screamed and ran with all his might through the complete darkness of his soul. That’s what it had to be. Complete emptiness.

            Dead.

            No. It wasn’t a voice. Donghae touched his chest. It came from within him. His fingertips burned under the touch. He gasped for breath and stumbled deeper into his abyss.

            Splash splash splash. Donghae stopped moving and frowned. He turned around and saw perfect nothing. He took two more steps.

            Splash splash.

            Donghae looked down and saw the ground glisten under his feet. Glisten? There was light! Donghae looked up and saw a beam of light shining down to the piercing the ground in the far off distance.

            Dead.

            “Shut up!” Donghae screamed to save his sanity. Before he knew it, he was running again. Splash splash splash!

            Dead.

            “Stop it – Whoa!” Donghae tripped and skidded across the water-covered ground. The water was a couple of inches deep. Ah. Donghae wiped his face. The water felt sticky and thick. What? Donghae lifted his hand and squinted to see; with what little light he had, at his hand. The hand was black and glistening when the far-off light hit its surface.

            Donghae stood up and saw his clothes were covered in the dark, thick liquid. The beam of light was closer now and he walked in its direction.

            There was something on the ground in the center of the narrow beam. Donghae couldn’t make it out.

            Dead.

Donghae’s heart stopped.

            Dead.

            There was something wrong with the whole picture.

            Dead.

            There was something wrong with the water.

            Dead.

            Donghae’s feet were now being pulled involuntarily towards the beam of cursed light. Before he knew it he was staring down at the pale, blood covered body.

            Dead.

            The body’s eyes stared up into the beam off light, yet were giving off no sign of life. His body lay in a pool of dark crimson liquid.

            Donghae fell to his knees and let his hand fall to his sides and into the now warm thick water. Weakly he lifted his arms and stared at his shiny, crimson covered hands.

            Dead.

            “Eunhyuk.” Donghae felt his tears try and wash away the blood from his face. It didn’t work. He raised his hand and wiped his face, only covering it with more dark liquid.

            “No.” Donghae lifted both his hands and tried to wipe off his face. Each and would covered another part of his face.

            “Get off!”

            Every inch of him seamed to be covered in blood.

            Dead.

            “Stop! Stop!” Donghae lifted his hands and clasped them over his ears to block out the sound. It was to no avail.

            Dead, his heart rang louder and louder. Donghae screamed and shut his eyes. He wouldn’t stop screaming.

            “Donghae.”

            Donghae froze and opened his eyes, scanning the darkness for the source of the new uninvited guest. It sounded so far away.

            “Donghae.”

            Donghae couldn’t find the voice. It was getting closer.

            “Donghae.”

            “What!” Donghae was now screaming.

            “Donghae.” the voice was so close it burned.

            “Donghae.” The voice came from underneath him. It was barely a whisper yet it pierced his eardrums. Donghae looked down.

            “Donghae.” Eunhyuk’s mouth moved with the words. Every possible sound was muted except for that one voice.

            “Donghae.” They moved again. Donghae screamed in horror and pain.  

 

            Donghae sat up and clutched his ears, still screaming. All of a sudden the sound of multiple footsteps entered the room.

            “Donghae!” yelled a familiar voice.

            “Stop! Stop! It’s okay. You’re okay!” Kyuhyun shouted till he got his attention. Donghae noticed his throat burned with every intake of air. After a couple of minutes of soothing and calming talk, Donghae breathed normally.

            Finally he looked up. Kyuhyun sat on the bed next to him, still holding his hands. The others either sat on the bed or the chairs. Donghae stared at Kyuhyun, who’s lip seemed to be cut.

            “What happened?” Donghae asked hoarsely and looked around the room. Kangin and Kibum also had bruised eyes or a bruised jawline.

            Kyuhyun frowned. “Do you not remember?”

            Donghae tried to remember anything.

            He was screaming. Donghae’s throat burned as he remembered. He was screaming and thrashing his arms and legs. He was calling for someone.

            “Eunhyuk.” Donghae croaked. He readied himself for more tears. Tears; that didn’t come. Tears; that he had ran out of.

            “Is alive.” Sungmin could barely hold it in.

            Donghae felt his eyes flood with new tears. Tears of complete and utter joy.