Chapter 6

To Kill & Love

 

            “Soccer it is!” yelled Kangin after several other games were mentioned. Soccer had the highest votes. Sun was shinning and the park was a nice colour of dull green. The season was slowly changing. September was here.

            Eunhyuk stood and watched the people around him stretching. Across his view Sungmin jumped like a bunny then stopped when he was in front of him. Eunhyuk stared at the cute boy. This guy’s gonna get hurt. Sungmin smiled. “I’m so excited. I love soccer.” he chimed. Yesung walked up behind him followed by Kyuhyun. “Yeah we better watch out for this guy. He’s the champion out of all of us. Even Kangin knows it.” said Yesung. Kyuhyun nodded.

            Eunhyuk smiled.Good. Kangin yelled for them to make teams. After several attempts, the captains were decided. Leeteuk and Kangin were chosen. Feeling the urge to win it all Kangin took all the players he saw fit to be on his team, leaving those the rest for the other team. Kangin’s team consisted of the all-powerful Sungmin, quick-footed Kyuhyun, small and agile Ryeowook and his best friend Yesung. Leaving Leeteuk with Hankyung, Kibum, Donghae and Eunhyuk. Heechul sat out and sun tanned.

            “Oh yeah, taking you all down.” Kangin shouted playfully. Sungmin smiled kindly but was just as excited. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow then turned around to face his teammates. They stretched slowly and loosened up. Each had a grin on their face. Eunhyuk grinned. Don’t be so sure Kangin.

            “You can do it Hankyung!” shouted Heechul from the sidelines. Hankyung smiled and waved. Kangin was shouting again. “Okay let’s go!”

            Both teams bounded to their side. Two trees, perfectly placed on each side of the field, marked the goals. Leeteuk and Kyuhyun were in net, while Kangin’s team started with the ball.

            Eunhyuk jogged to his spot. Beside him was Donghae. “Ready?” he asked. Donghae smiled. “I’m not that good. I’m kind of scared of the ball and I’m pretty clumsy.” he said worriedly. “Don’t worry. I got your back.” Eunhyuk smiled kindly. I got you. He cracked his neck. Oh, these people have no idea. He smiled.

            “Start!” At once, the game began. Kangin passed it to Yesung who passed it to Sungmin. Like a bullet he darted and evaded everyone. He lifted his leg to deliver a kick that would assure a goal. Before he brought his leg down the ball was gone. Sungmin looked at the ground. “Huh?”

            “Goal!” yelled Heechul. At the other side of the field Eunhyuk was giving high fives to his teammates. “That was incredible... No one could beat Sungmin...How did you do that... So fast!”

            Sungmin walked straight to at Eunhyuk. They’re eyes met. Sungmin stared deeply at his opponent then smiled widely. “Finally.” he murmured, even more excited. Eunhyuk grinned. The game went on. Leeteuk’s team completely surprised the other team giving them 12 goals to 9, mostly by Sungmin. They sat down for a short break.

            “Jeez.” panted Kangin. “I thought you guys would . Kibum you’re always so kind and mellow. Hankyung how are you so fast? Eunhyuk! Hey!” he shouted. Eunhyuk turned around from talking to Leeteuk. “Hm?”

            Kangin stood up then sat right back down, still out of breath. “You made eight of those goals and assisted most of the rest! How are you so good and fit?” Kangin looked up and down Eunhyuk’s body. His muscle tone could be seen through his shirt. Kangin continued. “Didn’t even break a sweat.” he sighed and collapsed onto the ground. Eunhyuk laughed and walked towards Donghae.

            Donghae sat on the ground. Eunhyuk handed him a water bottle. “Thanks.” Donghae murmured. He drank greedily. “I’m glad everyone's having so much fun. I wish I could do more.” he sighed. “Well, it’s okay. Your amazing.” he pointed to Eunhyuk.

            Eunhyuk smiled and took the compliment.

            After taking a break they began their second game. Once again the ball was always moving. Leeteuk’s team was winning but not by much. Sungmin had managed to keep up, which caused even Eunhyuk to sweat a little.

            The scores were tight until Kibum messed up which gave the other team a free shot at the net. Slowly Eunhyuk, Donghae, Hankyung and Kibum lined up in front to try and block the ball. Eunhyuk looked over at Donghae. His eyes were closed. “I hate this part.” he whispered.

            You’ll be fine. Eunhyuk looked at Kangin who was going to kick the ball.

            Kangin started to run, lifted his leg and brought it down, hard, on the ball. Eunhyuk froze. !

 

            Donghae opened his eyes. An arm was in front of his face. A hand held the soccer ball that would have collided with his face. Huh? The ball dropped.

            “He stopped it with one hand?” murmured Kibum. “Wow, you just got saved, kid.” Hankyung nudged Donghae’s shoulder. Donghae turned to face Eunhyuk who looked away.

 

            Why did I stop it? I could have just let it...

            “Thank you.”

            Eunhyuk turned around. Donghae was almost in tears. No, no, no. Don’t cry. “It’s fine. Don’t cry.” he punched his shoulder lightly. Donghae blinked back his tears. “Okay. Okay. I’m okay.”

            Kangin ran up to them. “Hey, I’m so sorry. Are you hurt? I didn’t mean for it to go so high.” Donghae tried to speak but couldn’t get through.

            “I’m so sorry...” Kangin stopped when Eunhyuk put up his hand. “It’s okay.” he assured Kangin. Kangin nodded. “Oh, okay. Sorry. Okay.”

            The game continued for a while then finally declared that Leeteuk’s team were the winners. The day was soon ending and supper had past a while ago. Tired, they decided to go back to the apartment for some food then the movie.

            After they ate food they all sat down while Kibum put the movie in. Hankyung and Heechul shared the single couch, Leeteuk, Kangin, Yesung and Ryeowook shared the three-man couch, and Eunhyuk and Donghae shared the two-man couch. Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Kibum happily took the ground with all the pillows.

            “So what are we watching?” asked Heechul who cuddled up to Hankyung. Kibum looked at the cover. “Attack on the pin-up boys?” he shrugged. Kangin whined and Ryeowook shook his head. “Do you guys even read the cover before you get it?” The others laughed. Kibum put up his hands. “Hey, Leeteuk chose it. He saw it and said ‘Hey, it has good-looking boys on it and – Oh look! There’s a panda!’” Kibum imitated Leeteuk. The others laughed even louder. Leeteuk laughed as well. “Shh. The movie is starting.” shushed someone from the ground. Someone else turned off the lights and the movie began.

 

            Eunhyuk yawned. This movie is...weird. He looked over and saw Donghae slowly bobbing his head, eyes closed. Of course. Eunhyuk kept looking over and saw Donghae was still in a battle against falling asleep, he then resumed watching the film.

            Whoa. Eunhyuk felt something heavy. Donghae fell asleep against his chest. Eunhyuk froze. He looked around. No one saw. He looked down. He could the side of Donghae’s sleeping face. Peaceful is what he thought of.

            Eunhyuk lifted his arm and touched Donghae’s cheek. Soft. Wha... Eunhyuk dropped his arm, which fell on Donghae and whipped his head to the side. I thought I saw someone looking this way. He looked around. Kangin, completely absorbed in the movie. Yesung whispered something in Ryeowook’s ear then looked back and at the screen, Ryeowook giggled and pointed to the T.V. He saw Leeteuk look straight ahead. The faintest grin on his face, but Eunhyuk couldn’t tell, it was to dark.

            Maybe I saw wrong. He relaxed. He breathed in and out feeling the slight weight on his chest. It’s so warm.

            The movie ended and Eunhyuk barely noticed. The lights went on. “That was so weird. So he threw shi – Oh, he looks tired.” Kyuhyun stood up and looked at Eunhyuk with Donghae on his chest.

            Hankyung yawned and Heechul tried to put his finger in his mouth. Hankyung bit down and Heechul gave a little yelp. Out of nowhere Hankyung grabbed Heechul’s finger and kissed it. “Sorry, but you asked for it.” he smiled. Heechul leaned close to his face, “I know.” and kissed him on the lips. Eunhyuk froze. Leeteuk saw Eunhyuk stiffen and leaned close.

            “You didn’t know. Well, you guessed right. They’re lovers.” he whispered. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. “You guys are okay with it?” he asked looking up to find everyone had been listening and were nodding.

            They’re okay with it? He shivered. The sudden movement caused Donghae to wake up. He rubbed his eyes. “Huh? What's goi – What?” Donghae opened his eyes to see Hankyung and Heechul kissing. “What? And you’re okay with this?” he asked, stunned. The others laughed at the same reaction Eunhyuk had had.

            “Okay, okay. Enough. Go back to your apartment for that.” The boys laughed and yawned. Tired, everyone decided it was time to go to bed. Sungmin hugged Donghae before he and Kyuhyun left. Before Eunhyuk and Donghae left Leeteuk grabbed Eunhyuk’s arm, which shocked him.           

            Eunhyuk gave Donghae the sign he’d be there shortly and followed Leeteuk who took him outside the apartment and up some stairs. “Where...”

            “Just wait.” Leeteuk interrupted.

           

            They arrived at the top of the roof. Eunhyuk inhaled the cool air. He paused then looked at Leeteuk. Leeteuk kicked the ground gently. “I just wanted to make sure you understand that...”

            Eunhyuk raised a hand. “I get it.” he breathed and looked up at the clean dark sky. Leeteuk walked up to him. “So Donghae, he’s a good guy.” he sighed. Eunhyuk didn’t say anything.

            “He’s a good guy and so are you. We like you guys.” he smiled kind-heartedly. Eunhyuk sighed. “I’m not a good guy. I don’t think like one. I don’t smile like one. I don’t act like one. I’m not cut out to be a good guy.”

            Leeteuk shuffled then stood right in front of Eunhyuk. “Those things don’t define a good guy. The thing that makes a good guy,” he lifted his arm and laid his hand on his chest. “Is in here.”

            Eunhyuk looked at Leeteuk who smiled kindly. In the heart. He sighed and closed his eyes. I don’t have a heart. I’m a killer not a lover. He chuckled and looked at Leeteuk. “I need to go.” Eunhyuk turned around and walked off.

            “We’re defined by our choices. There’s always a choice.” he heard Leeteuk murmured so he could hear. Eunhyuk kept walking and waved his arm without looking back.

            He jogged down the stairs and down the hallway to his apartment. He opened the door and slammed it furiously. “Ah!” he yelled out loud. Why am I like this right now? He breathed heavily. This is all his fault. Angry, he stomped to the bedroom and opened the door.

            Donghae was asleep on the bed. His clothes still on. Eunhyuk grabbed his own hair then rubbed his neck. I must be tired. He rubbed his eyes. His shoulder began to hurt.

            He walked away from the bedroom and towards the couch. I’m just tired. Tomorrow’s the last day. He thought this to make himself feel better but all there was pain.