Chapter 7

To Kill & Love

 

            Eunhyuk awoke hours before the sun had risen. He went out for a jog. The trees were slowly turning a yellowish green. Soon they will be orange and red. It was cool outside and worthy of a sweater or long sleeves.

            He returned before Donghae stirred. And hour passed before Donghae woke up and took a shower after Eunhyuk.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk sat at the kitchen table. With all his might he completely subdued all emotion. He was an assassin once again.

            He sipped his red tea. Anytime today. I’m in no rush. He put the cup down and stared at the clear red liquid. He looked away as Donghae walked in. He grabbed a bowl and cereal from the pantry. He sat down and ate the cereal dry, yet had a glass of milk beside him.

            Eunhyuk was used to this. He sat and watched him eat. Donghae ate happily. He, in between a couple bites, would drink some milk and the rim of his cup. This became a habit.

            Eunhyuk thought of all the possibilities. Donghae chocking on the dry cereal, swallowing his spoon, or he could cut the artery in his neck with the rim of the cup and bleed him out. Eunhyuk shook his head against all of them.

            Donghae finished and washed his dishes. After, he told Eunhyuk he would go buy some groceries at the store a block away. He put on his shoes and left.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk looked around the corner and found Donghae walking down the street to the store. Eunhyuk put up his hood and put on a pair of glasses. He carefully followed Donghae.

            I could kill him in an alley way on his way back. He nodded happily then paused and shrugged. No, no. Then I would have to carry the groceries back home. He quickly caught up to Donghae who entered the store. Eunhyuk peered in through the store window. Barbequed meat? He rubbed his neck.

            He turned around and started to walk back home. After supper. He smiled.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            “It’s ready!” shouted Donghae. Eunhyuk was already at the table. Donghae put the meat on the table. There was also rice, kimchi, and potatoes. For lunch they had had pizza.

            They both sat down and ate happily. The food was amazing. The wonderful smell filled the room.

            After eating and cleaning up the dishes, they sat down and watched T.V.

            Eunhyuk looked at the clock. 6:39pm. He sighed. I’ll just wait for an opening. He rubbed his chest. Jeez, I should get this checked out again.

            They watched T.V. Eunhyuk could tell Donghae was falling asleep. In a matter of minutes he was asleep on the couch.

            Eunhyuk stared at his next victim. In a split second he pulled out a small knife from his pocket and held it in his hand. He didn’t move. He breathed heavily as his heart raced. What the hell am I doing? He tried to raise his arm but didn’t. Why can’t I move?

            Donghae shuffled then tucked both his legs near his chest. Eunhyuk once again found himself unable to move. He stared. For some reason he wanted Donghae to see him with the knife and run away.

            He sat back and sighed. Why do you have to be so helpless?

 

            After a couple of hours Donghae woke up. He yawned and opened his eyes.Eunhyuk? Eunhyuk was looking at the roof.  “Eunhyuk?” Eunhyuk moved his hand behind his back, when he brought it back there was nothing in his hand. Donghae yawned again. “Eunhyuk, what time is it?”

            “8:58pm.” Eunhyuk answered. Oh, it’s so late. He yawned. I want cake. Donghae got up and walked to the kitchen. “Cake!” he screamed. “Yummy!”

            “What kind?” he heard Eunhyuk ask from the other room. He thought for a while. “Chocolate! No vanilla! Wait,” he paused. “Both!”

            He began to make the batter. He added the chocolate and mixed the ingredients together. Yummy. He then made the vanilla and the spoon at the end.Hm? He looked at both batters. Oh. He walked to the pantry and brought back a large cake pan. He poured both of them in at the same time.

            He set the cake pan in the oven and smiled. Perfect. He sat down and looked around for something to do. He found a newspaper and read.

            After a while he found himself drawing moustaches and funny things all over some peoples pictures. Oh. Ding! The timer went off. Yay! He pulled the cake out and let it sit for a while. Then he put it in the fridge to cool it down.

            Icing. It needs icing. Donghae skipped over and started to make icing.It needs colour. He looked at the food colouring they had. Red! He poured the red food colouring in the icing. Oh. He looked at the deep crimson red liquid in the bowl. Too much red dye?

            Expecting the icing to be thick he dug the spatula in the bowl and tried to dig some out, instead it flicked up and liquid icing flew at his face covering his neck.

            “Ah!” he screamed.

            For some reason Eunhyuk was in the kitchen the second after he had yelped. “What’s wrong?” he demanded.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            Eunhyuk sat on the couch. Why don’t I just go in the kitchen? No, there are knives there, I might...  He whacked his head with his fist.  I’ve stayed here this long, I can stay longer. He nodded. But what if he hurts himself. He froze at the thought. I’m going to have to anyways. Shut up! You’re so dumb. I am so dumb.

            After a while he just stared at the roof and hummed a song.

            “Ah!” he heard Donghae cry. Donghae? He quickly got up and rushed to the kitchen. “What wrong?” he stared at Donghae who had blood all over his neck. Oh my god. He rushed over and held his neck. “Keep pressure. What have you done to yourself?”

            He held his neck and looked for a towel. Nothing. “Eunhyuk.” Donghae looked at Eunhyuk. Stupefied he looked at Donghae. “What?”

            Donghae, still staring at Eunhyuk, touched the blood on his neck with one finger then put it onto Eunhyuk’s mouth. What the... Sweet?

            “Is it so sweet?” Donghae asked. Eunhyuk frowned. “I... icing?” he looked at his hands at Donghae’s throat. I could kill you right now. At once, he took them away. He lifted his hand to his face and quickly it. Icing?

            “Oh, I think I can ice it now.” Donghae took the cake out of the fridge and began to ice the cake. The red icing glided on the cake making it glossy and glisten. Eunhyuk sat down on a chair and stared at the floor. Why didn’t I kill him? I had the chance. I still do. What I doing?

 

            Eunhyuk watched Donghae feast on the cake. After been offered a piece more than five times he agreed. His cake sat in front of him but not even close to being able to tempt him. Donghae finished three pieces and wrapped up Eunhyuk’s, who said it was too close to bed.

            As the clock struck 9:56pmm Donghae decided to take a shower. Eunhyuk sat on the couch and continued restraining himself. I have to. It’s my job. Eunhyuk grabbed his head in his hands. Ah, my head. It hurts. Eunhyuk grabbed the couch tightly.

            All of a sudden he marched to the bathroom door and opened it. Donghae, wrapped in a towel, stood in front of the mirror. “Eunhyuk?”

            Eunhyuk looked at the other towel wrapped around his neck. Go! Now, kill him now! Eunhyuk turned away. “Nothing.” he rushed out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. He sat on the bed and grabbed his hair. He was breathing heavily. Not being able to stay anywhere for long he walked to the kitchen.

            He clutched the side of the kitchen sink very so tightly it could kill someone with no problem. He looked at the clean dishes. The dishes Donghae had washed. He stood for about what seemed like forever, just standing. I’m a killer. It’s who I am. And Donghae, no, that person is my target. He looked at his reflection in the water. He looked confused. Emotionless killer? Eunhyuk looked distressed. Enraged for no reason he hit the water and looked away. A silver glimmer caught his eye. A large cutting knife lay on the counter.

            Without thinking Eunhyuk grabbed it and glided to the bedroom. He opened the door, which did not dare creak. With his back facing Eunhyuk, Donghae was cleaning some of his stuff up.

            Eunhyuk hovered across the room and stood behind Donghae. He raised the knife for it to be right behind Donghae’s heart. Do it! Now! Eunhyuk’s hands shook. He looked away then back again. What are you doing? Eunhyuk tensed his body. He couldn’t move. Donghae continued to fold his clothes.

            Eunhyuk shook uncontrollably. His head and chest hurt. His mind was spinning.  He grabbed the knife tightly and readied himself again. I...can’t do it.

            “Ah!” yelled held out loud. Startled Donghae turned around. “Eunhyuk? What’s wrong?”

            “Stay away from me!” Eunhyuk warned. “I’m bad. I’m bad for you. I’m a horrible person.” He slowly backed away. Donghae moved forward. “No!” Eunhyuk ran out of the bedroom and to the door. He put on his shoes and opened the door. He ran down the apartment hallway. I can’t do it! I can’t! He ran out of the building and ran into the park across the street. Quiet deep into the park, he slowed to a stop under the clear sky. “Ah!” he looked up to the sky and yelled with all his might, then collapsed. He sat on a bench and held his head in his hands. Why? Why couldn’t I? All of a sudden memories poured into his mind from the past twenty-one days.

 

            “Hello my name is Donghae. I will be your new roommate.” the boy smiled. 

            “Do you wanna have a picnic?”  Donghae smiled.

            Donghae leaned closer and said directly into his ear. “Thanks for coming with me.” 

            Donghae smiled. “It was so cool that the assassin who should have been a bad guy was actually a good guy. And when the girl says ‘Every one has a heart’. Oh that was priceless.” He’s just another target. I will accomplish the mission.

            Eunhyuk opened his eyes. Donghae stared at him. A trickle of blood poured out of his mouth. “Eunhyuk?”

            Leeteuk shuffled then stood right in front of Eunhyuk. “Those things don’t define a good guy. The thing that makes a good guy,” he lifted his arm and laid his hand on his chest. “Is in here.” He pointed to his heart.

            Donghae’s voice ringed in his head. “Eunhyuk?” “Eunhyuk?”

 

            “Eunhyuk?” said a voice from reality. Eunhyuk stood up immediately and took a couple steps back. Donghae looked at him, a couple metres away.

            “Stay away.” Eunhyuk whispered. Donghae walked toward him. “What’s wrong? What are you doing out here?”

            “Go away!” Eunhyuk walked hastily through the park. Donghae called out for him. Eunhyuk found himself waking towards the shrine in the park.

            “Eunhyuk!”

            “You don’t even understand!” Eunhyuk shouted.  “I’m horrible! I’m evil, emotionless. Ever since I was ten years old I’ve had no emotions. I can’t feel anything. Not hate, love, happiness, trust, nothing. But then you...” he paused and scratched his neck. He was angry for some reason he did not know. He grabbed his hair in his hands and turned around. “You. Ever since you came into my life, I’ve felt... I’ve had feelings. I felt happiness.” He was shaking.

            “Eunhyuk.” Donghae whispered. Eunhyuk walked up the stairs into the shrine. He then quickly turned around.

            “But I can’t! I can’t stay with you. Not when I was asked to... I just can’t.” he sighed. “The one person, the person who said they were my friend – Friend! The one person in my whole entire life, I can’t be with. Because I am too dangerous.” he paused. His cheeks felt warm and his head spun. He sat down at the top of the stairs. Donghae looked up at him not completely understanding yet understanding enough; he was needed.

            “Eunhyuk.” Donghae slowly walked up the stairs so that Eunhyuk would not try to run away. “Eunhyuk you are my friend. My best friend. Please, please don’t go.”

            Eunhyuk lifted his head and shook it. He stood up. “It’s for your protection.” He turned to walk away.

            “No wait!” Donghae climbed the stairs after him. “Whoa!” On the last step he slipped and was falling backwards. Something grabbed him and yanked him forward into standing position again.

            He shook from the adrenaline. Eunhyuk had his arms wrapped around him. “Are you okay?” he asked. Donghae hugged him. “Please don’t go! Please. I don’t care what you are or however dangerous you are. You’re my friend. Please...” Donghae tried not to cry.

            Eunhyuk stared at the sky and closed his eyes. I don’t want to go. What if someone else comes and tries to kill you? He hesitantly lifted and brought his arms around Donghae, and hugged him tightly. I don’t want to go. All of a sudden he felt his body get really heavy and he couldn’t stand up anymore.

            “Eunhyuk? Eunhyuk are you okay?” Donghae braced him up. Eunhyuk tried to stand up. “I...” he barely spoke. Donghae looked around anxiously. “We need to go home.” Slowly Donghae brought him down the steps and towards their apartment.

            Home? Eunhyuk tried to stay awake. He kept blacking out. After they made it though the apartment door he didn't remember anything else.

 

            Donghae climbed the stairs with Eunhyuk barely holding on. What was this whole thing about? Him, dangerous? Hah! He opened their apartment door. Donghae kicked it shut. He slowly traversed the living room and towards the bedroom.

            He put Eunhyuk on the bed, who was finally unconscious. He sighed. He looked at Eunhyuk. Hm? He looked peaceful. I’ve never seen him like this.

            Donghae was so used to Eunhyuk’s face, always being so serious, even while he slept. Now it was different. Calm. Donghae sat on the other side of the bed and sighed.