Chapter 8

To Kill & Love

 

            Eunhyuk rubbed his eyes. Carefully he sat up and opened his eyes. Where am I? What happened? He thought back as memories from last night filled his thoughts.

 

            “I’m horrible! I’m evil, emotionless. Ever since I was ten years old I’ve had no emotions. I can’t feel anything. Not hate, love, happiness, trust, nothing. But then you...”

            ... Donghae hugged him. “Please don’t go! Please. I don’t care what you are or however dangerous you are. You’re my friend. Please...”

 

            He looked around his room and Donghae’s room. Donghae. “Donghae!” Eunhyuk shouted and ran from the room. “Donghae?” he yelled. He heard something clatter in the kitchen. He ran towards the sound. He turned the corner and saw Donghae making something.

            “Oh, Eunhyuk your awa...”

            Eunhyuk hugged him.I didn’t kill you. Thank god. Eunhyuk closed his eyes. “I’m sorry. I promise I won’t leave. Ever.”

            “Eunhyuk are you okay?”

            “Fine.”

            “I made some pancakes for us.” Donghae smiled.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            For the rest of the day Eunhyuk and Donghae talked and relaxed. Supper came and passed. Then when both were tired decided to go to bed.

 

            What? Eunhyuk felt for the thing vibrating on the nightstand. He saw the clock. 2:37 am. He picked up his cell phone and walked out of the room.

            “Yes?” Eunhyuk sounded serious. The voice on the other end was hushed and far away. “Did you kill him? It’s been twenty-one days.” Eunhyuk gripped the phone tightly. “No.”

            “No?”

            “And I will not. Nor will I let anyone hurt him.” Eunhyuk said dangerously. The person on the other end sounded furious. “No? No! Do you know who I am?”

            Eunhyuk smirked evilly. “Of course. And you’re lucky you’re alive.” The other person gasped and babbled angrily. “You, you will regret this!”

            “Have a nice day.” Eunhyuk shut the cell phone and breathed heavily. His smile turned into a grimace he and walked back to bed.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            It had been several weeks later and Donghae and Eunhyuk were going to Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s apartment for a night.

           

            Sungmin smiled as he gave Donghae a cookie. They ate happily in the corner, smiling and talking. Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun watched from afar. “How much younger is he than you?” asked Eunhyuk looking at the cute boy with his. Kyuhyun laughed. “He’s older than my by three years.”

            Eunhyuk chuckled and grabbed another cookie. “These are good.” he agreed. Kyuhyun stared at Eunhyuk. “The other guys weren’t kidding when they said you changed.” he chuckled. “You’re happier.”

            Eunhyuk sighed. “Yeah, I guess I am.”

            For the rest of the night they talked and played video games. Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk had an ongoing battle or superiority, while Donghae and Sungmin watched in awe. The night ended with a tie between Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk.

            They laid in their sleeping bags in the living room. Eunhyuk could hear Donghae and Sungmin’s slow and steady breaths. They were asleep. Kyuhyun stirred then braced himself on his elbow. “Eunhyuk are you awake?”

            “Yes.”

            “Oh. Eunhyuk?”

            “Yes.” Eunhyuk opened his eyes.

            “Thank you. We’re, being all of us, we’re glad we made good friends like you and Donghae.” he yawned. “Well. Good night.”

            “Night.” Eunhyuk sighed and rolled over. Friends. He smiled.

 

                                                          *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

            A week after October, Donghae and Eunhyuk went out for a jog together. The air was breezy and cool. Cooler than Donghae had expected.

            “It’s cold. I think winter is close. Right?” he turned and faced Eunhyuk who kept his slow pace for Donghae to catch up.

            “Yup, pretty sure.”

            “I think we should get away from here for a while. Oh! Oh! Oh! I know!” he chimed. “Let’s go to the hot springs! Wouldn’t that be fun?”

            Eunhyuk slowed down and then stopped. He rubbed his neck and looked up. “Well, we could...”

            “Do you want to invite the others?” asked Donghae. Eunhyuk looked at Donghae. “Do you?”  Donghae shook his head. “I think we should be by ourselves. We’ve been with them a lot lately. It’s a lot of fun. It is. But...” he paused. “I just need a rest.” he sighed.

            Eunhyuk grinned under his scarf. So even you get tired? “That’s sounds like a good idea.” he nodded his head. They continued jogging then made their way back home.