Guardian & Angel

Hey, Sharon.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third Person POV 

The tension in the room was high. All that could be heard is Chaeyoung's nervous fingers tapping on the table as she rests her hands on them. 

Bang Chan however didn't seem to be affected by the tension. He still had the smile on him that he showed to Chaeyoung when they met at the park. 

He was waiting for the smol girl on the other side of the glass to speak up. 

"Okay. First and foremost. I want to know why.. Mr. Yongjin, a man I met who worked in your company told me that you betrayed my father. I want to know why." Chaeyoung spoke her voice stoic and cold. Her fingers no longer tapping on the table. 

"Well.. that's not completely true. I did what I did to respect your father's last wishes." Bang chan said which only made Chaeyoung more confused by the situation. 

'Why would dad want him to join the phycho woman?' She thought. 

"I assume you're confused." Bang chan asked. 

"Well what do you expect when you're talking in riddles." 

"It's only a riddle if you don't know the answer." 

"Stop!" Chaeyoung was getting frustrated and this only prompted a small chuckle from the man behind the glass. 

"I came here for answers not more questions." Chaeyoung said in an angry tone. 

With that said Bang Chan's mood seem to shift to a more serious one as well. 

"In order for you to understand. You need to under what your father meant to me. Me and all the other orphans they bought to that place. That place that we eventually called our home" Bang Chan said. 

Chaeyoung nods at this giving the man all of her attention as this was what she came here for. 

"When we were brought to our new 'home'. Your father was the first person we met. He was a kind man and the only person who treated the kids like they were actually human." Bang Chan stops for a moment taking a deep breath before he continued. 

"Every time he came by he would bring bags filled with toys for us. He would read us stories. Sometimes it's just children's books. Other times he would tell us stories out himself and you." Bang chan said. 

Chaeyoung looked at him surprised. Her father told stories about her to the kids there. She would have been 12 years of age back then. 

"There was one of us however, who loved your father's stories more than any of us. Specifically the ones about you." Bang chan said. 

"Mina. She loved hearing about you. Everytime she and your father met she would ask about you. Your father once told Mina that he would introduce you two someday. I've never seen Mina smile that widely. I watched her literally bounce off the walls in happiness once he left." Bang chan said with a ghost of a smile gracing his lips. 

Chaeyoung was dumbfounded by this. Mina knew who she was. The real Mina did. But when she met her in her android form she didn't say anything about it. Chaeyoung decided to ask about this. 

"But when I met her she didn't say anything about knowing me beforehand." Chaeyoung said. 

"That's because her memory was wiped for the program. In her android form the memories she has is split from her memories as a human." Bang Chan explained. 

"So does that mean she won't remember her memories as an android, when she wakes up?" Chaeyoung asked her heart picking up pace. 

If Mina didn't remember her days as an android that would also mean she won't remember falling in love with Chaeyoung. That thought scared her more than anything. 

"I... I don't know Chaeyoung. There's only one way to know that. By asking her when she wakes up." Bang Chan said. 

"Atleast she won't forget you completely, even if she doesn't have her memories as an android she would still have her memories of the stories your father told her. From what I saw she really liked you even back then. She would brag about finally meeting you and being friends." 

"Yeah.." Chaeyoung said looking down at her lap. That sentiment didn't really make her feel better. She wanted Mina to love her romantically. She couldn't handle being anything else to Mina. With the feelings Chaeyoung had now she couldn't go back to being friends. 

"Your father was the only person me, Mina and the others like us could look up to in that place. So naturally we saw him as a father figure." Bang chan continued. 

"They were taking us one at a time for the test runs and the ones who left never came back. At the time your father told the us that the ones who left are in a better place now and being a bunch of 10 - 14 years olds we didn't know what that meant." 

"When my turn to go came around your father had lost your mother and he had no incentive to continue to help with the project. He was about to abandon it but he came back with a deal. To let him adopt me and exempt me from the tests and in return he would continue helping them." 

"Your father even though he lost the love of his life, came back to protect me from what was coming. But he soon learned that the person next in line was equally as dear to him as I was." Bang chan said looking straight at Chaeyoung. 

The lightness and the banter in his voice had dissapeared completely. 

"Mina was the one next in line for the test. Your father tried to bargain and take her out of there as well but they didn't allow that. So instead your father did everything in his power to make sure the process was successful. That way she atleast didn't have to die." 

"Your father succeeded. He had successfully transferred a human conscience to the digital plane." 

"Before he left he told me to stay close to Gaia. No matter how much hate I have for the people. No matter how much I resent it. He told me I had to stay here to protect you. Because he had secretly messed with Mina's programming he knew the Gaia people would try to find you. That was the last time I saw him and I promised him I would protect you. From the inside." Bang chan said. 

"Oh..." That was all Chaeyoung could say at the revelation she just had. Sure she had gotten a comforting vibe from Bang Chan even in the beginning when he sat near her at the bench letting her cry her heart out but she would never in a million years would have thought he was trying to protect her all along. 

With this in mind her heart was set on a new goal. Taking Bang Chan out of this prison that he clearly doesn't deserve to be in. But that's an adventure for another time. 

"So it really was you who stopped the self destruction countdown?" Chaeyoung asked still a bit skeptical. 

"Yes indeed. Amongst other things." Bang chan replied. 

"Well thank you for that but couldn't you have done it a bit sooner? I was literally at the brink of insanity watching that clock tick down." Chaeyoung said exasperated. 

Chan winced at what Chaeyoung said scratching the back of his head. 

"Sorry. That part was a bit of a challenge for me too. Even with the clearance i had it was hard to shut down" Chan said. 

"You said 'amongst other things' what other things?" Chaeyoung asked. 

"Well for one. Hiring a bunch of thugs to steal Mina's hard drive so you can easily trace them. Giving one of the thugs my card so you know where to look for Mina. Asking Yongjin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter