A Father's Sacrifice

Hey, Sharon.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third Person POV

Chaeyoung was dumbfounded by what she just heard. She had her hands gripped on the side of the table so hard that the table shook in place.

Confusion, Sadness and Anger was all that occupied Chaeyoung's mind the latter overpowering the former two feelings.

Yongjin, who was on the other side of the table gave her a sympathetic look. A look that made Chaeyoung calm down a little atleast long enough to listen to what the man has to say.

"How?" Is all Chaeyoung managed to say as she slowly let go of the table.

"I don't have much time but I'll try to explain everything I can." Yongjin said.

'I still don't know if I can fully trust him but I need to know.' Chaeyoung thought to herself as she nodded.

"You are aware that your mother passed away because of a terminal illness right?" Yongjin asked. Chaeyoung's head perked up at this.

'What does that have to do with anything?' She thought but answered anyways. "Yes"

Chaeyoung's real mother passed away when she was too young to comprehend anything but her dad told her stories about her mother everyday they were together.

"This was when your father was a struggling business man just starting his company. He was already famous for being a genius but he wasn't financially in the best place." Yongjin said as he looked out the window as if he was reminiscing. He sighed before he continued.

"The doctors told your father that your mother had no hope of surviving. That they had no way of curing her. That was when the Gaia corp approached him. They told him that they were developing medicinal technology that can help your mother but in return for curing her illness he had to work for them on a different project. Project Genesis."

Yongjin spoke with distaste and anger laced in his voice. Chaeyoung could hear it clearly. Her doubts about the man infront of her slowly start to fade as she listened to him talk.

"What's Project Genesis? I feel like I have heard of it before somewhere but I can't remember." Chaeyoung asked.

The man looked at her and took somthing out of his bag. It was a USB drive. He pushed the little USB to Chaeyoung's side of the table. She picked it up and gave him a questioning look.

"Everything you need to know about Project Genesis is in there. Give it a look." Yongjin said as he took out his laptop from his bag and gave it to her. Chaeyoung quickly opened the laptop and plugged in the drive.

The first thing that popped up made Chaeyoung's eyes go wide in surprise.

The files infront of her showed Mina. Everything from her facial and body structure to her personality all written down and explained like it was some science. She realised where she heard the name 'Genesis' before. It was Mina, Mina told her about it.

Mina was titled in the files as subject 13. Also something that she told Chaeyoung the first time they met.

Chaeyoung read the files more and she came to realise that Project Genesis isn't what she thought it was.

This was never a project to make an artificial being. No. This was much worse. This was a Project to transfer a living person's consciousness to the digital plane.

The blueprints showed illustrations of a glass chamber filled with a green liquid with a person inside it and wires connected to them. Mina is the finished product.

Chaeyoung just found out that Mina, the girl she is in love with...

"Mina is... human."

And she's trapped in a glass cage somewhere.

 

 

 

 



"Yes. Yes she is. She was a sweet 14 year old orphan girl who was bought by Gaia. Your father asked me to join him saying he needed my help so we both joined the Project. I wasn't a Gaia corp employee at the time. We soon learned how horrid this Project Genesis was. They were using children as test subjects. Gaia Corp bought small orphanage's around the country. The kids were fed well and given comfortable living places but the things they were doing to them were still monstrous. The survival rate for the tests were low and they were subjecting these kids to them like it was nothing. She's subject 13 because there were 12 others before her who sadly didn't survive the process. The machine fried their brains. She was the only person strong enough to withstand the transfer."

"B-but that's.."

"Murder, yes and no one has dared to call them out on it or go to the authorities." Yongjin completed Chaeyoung's sentence.

Chaeyoung was in deep thought. How big this was and how wrong it was. That she needed to save Mina again. But this time her real human body. And that she needed to put an end to this Gaia corp.

But there was something else that was bothering her.

'He said the deal was to save my Mom but she died.' Chaeyoung thought.

"But my Mom died." She voiced her confusion.

Yongjin looked at her again and nodded.

"Yes. They failed to save your Mother and the project was incomplete when she passed away. Your father wanted to abandon the project and just leave but instead he made another deal with them." Yongjin explained.

At this point the man was tearing up and having and hard time talking so Chaeyoung decided to wait and let him gather his thoughts.

"Your father. He grew really close to one of the orphan kids. A 12 year old boy. They were so close that the little boy started to call Jinyoung 'dad'. He was supposed to be subject 13 originally but your father asked them to let him adopt the boy in return for working for them. Your father saved the boy." Yongjin said.

Chaeyoung was overwhelmed by all the information she was getting. 'I.. I have an adopted brother?' She thought to herself.

"I have an adopted brother?" She decided to ask him.

"Yes and you have met him already." Yongjin said with a sad look on his face.

'I've met him? When? How?' Chaeyoung thought as she tried to remember all the encounters she has had with strangers recently.

"His name is Bang Chan." Yongjin said.

Again Chaeyoung was shocked to her core. Bang Chan is her adopted brother.

"But he's.. he's with them." Chaeyoung said.

"He is the second in command for the Gaia corp. He joined them after your father died. He knew they were the one's who plotted your father's death but he still joined them. He betrayed him."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter