Chapter 55

Please Keep My Secret

CONTINUATION OF FLASHBACK

 “Appa..” Kyuhyun said. “H-how is he now?”

“That’s why I am here.” Mr. Park said. “I was asked to bring you back to America. He wanted to wait until you graduate from High School but seeing that you are not safe here already made him think otherwise.”

Kyuhyun was shocked. I need to go back in America? A very unpleasant feeling came over him. Isn’t this what you have always wanted? To be able to be in a place where you belong? Kyuhyun had these thoughts. But why can’t I feel happy about it?

“Young master” Mr. Park called. “We need to go back as soon as possible.”

Kyuhyun was surprised.

“You do understand the urgency of this matter, don’t you, young master?” Mr. Park asked when he saw Kyuhyun’s reaction.

“Y-Yes..” Kyuhyun lowered his gaze

“And you do understand that you don’t have a choice but to come back with me, don’t you?” the butler asked

“Y-yes..” the younger still has his eyes low. “..but I can also be stubborn and not concede to anything you want me to do.” Kyuhyun started to rant. “Taking into account the things you’ve made me go through, I can be a cold,rebellious, angry, unforgiving teenager who doesn’t give a damn about anything or anyone you are talking abou—”

“—which you are not.” Mr. Park interrupted. “I’ve known you enough to be able to tell you that you are exactly the opposite of the person you are trying to picture yourself, Kyuhyun”

“People change!!” Kyuhyun answered

“Your eyes never lie, Kyu. They turn misty and sad as I mention your mom while it looks worried and anxious as I tell you about your dad. I can see all the pent-up emotions of sadness, pain and anger but you can’t deny the longing in them either!” Mr. Park stated to raise his voice. “Now, tell me? Is this what you call a cold, rebellious, angry, unforgiving teenager?”

Kyuhyun was rendered speechless. He was not expecting that.

“You may have the cold facade but I can see right through you, Kyu..” Mr. Park continued. “…as bright and clear as daylight.”

The two remained silent for a while

Kyuhyun was the first to break the silence. “Could you give some time to think about this?”

Could it be..” Mr. Park trailed. “..that you have someone you find difficult to part with?

Kyuhyun unconsciously bit his lip at the unexpected question. Then, pictures of a certain Student Council President came to his mind as he closed his eyes.

END OF FLASHBACK

Kyuhyun took a deep breath. The cool night breeze was what was helping with the nerves. For a while, he has calmed down and he just let his mind wander to whatever was of a less worry for him right now. He scattered his gaze at the colorful lights that adorned the city at night. The decision to go out deemed to be satisfactory as he appreciated the beauty he was seeing. He somehow felt comforted just looking at those. If only his life was as colorful, bright and happy as what he was seeing right now.

What if he was just an ordinary person..

.. with an ordinary life..

 Could living be a lot better?

Could he have been happier?

Just as he was lost in his thoughts, he did not notice that he was now standing infront of Maid Latte. As he looked up, he saw that the lights were still on but the ‘closed’ sign board was hanging on the door so he thought that the staffs were just preparing to close the café. And there is still a high possibility that Seohyun was still there.

Seohyun.

Seohyun, who he has not seen just for two days but who he missed so much his heart could burst.

Could it be that you have someone you find difficult to part with?

He was startled when he saw people exiting through the door. His body instinctively moved to hide himself on a nearby tree. He didn’t know why he needed to do that. It really wasn’t a big deal if they saw him there or whatever.

He saw Tiffany, Hyoyeon and Yoona walk out of Maid Latte happily chatting with whatever they were engaged at in their conversation. They were followed soon after by Taeyeon and Seohyun who waved the other three girls goodbye. Soon after, the two last people moved their separate ways.

Seohyun was now walking by herself alone. If it had been some other time, Kyuhun could’ve walked with her but he found himself not doing so. He just ended up following Seohyun from behind making sure he had a considerable amount of distance from her, knowing that the girl is highly alert and sensitive of her surroundings. He did not want to be caught and be called a creepy stalker although that is basically what he’s doing right now. Nonetheless, he just wanted to see her.

As he was following Seohyun, he noticed someone from the shadows several meters ahead of him. Kyuhyun could not clearly see the face of the man as he was wearing a cap that hid his face. He was slyly hiding but was easily caught by Kyuhyun’s eyes. He observed him for a little while to confirm if he was really going after Seohyun. When Kyuhyun was positive that the guy was, he started to make his way towards the guy.

Kyuhyun got annoyed by the fact that of all the times the girl chose not to be so alert is today. But it is not like he can blame her. She must have thought that whoever had the bad motive towards her, she could face him right on. ‘Seohyun and her stubborn principles.’

When Kyuhyun saw Seohyun turn in a corner and when he knew that the guy was too caught up with his job of following Seohyun, he stealthily approached the guy. As the guy was within his reach, he immediately shoved him aside pushing him on the wall. Too shock from the sudden attack, the guy struggled to be freed from Kyuhyun's grip. Seeing that the guy was unable to counter his attack, Kyuhyun reached for the guy's cap and let it flew in an instant.

Kyuhyun was about to give the guy a punch in the face when the guy suddenly spoke with a smirk. “W-We've met again, K-Kyuhun-ssi” he said half choking from kyuhyuns hold on his collar

Kyuhyun scrunched his eyebrows from the unexpected greeting from the stranger. “Who are you?”

“You've forgotten already?” The stranger mocked. “We just met last Christmas—”

Then a memory dawned on him of the encounter he had with 4 people who he remembered getting a beating. Kyuhyun almost immediately became more aware of his surroundings.

“I don't have the leisure to deal with any of this crap again.” Kyuhyun voiced with urgency. “Why are you following Seohyun??”

“You're getting too anxious over a girl, could it be that she's your girlf—”

That was the last straw of Kyuhyun's patience. He gave the guy a fistful on the face which sent the guy scrunching in pain on the ground. The guy hasn't even recovered from the blow when Kyuhyun hovered over him and pressed him more to the ground. “Why are you following her? Weren't you after me??” Kyuhyun asked not hiding the anger from his voice

“So I bet this person is someone important” the stranger grinned ignoring the other's query. “You should be accompanying a young lady home Kyuhyun-sii”

Kyuhyun’s heart started to race as he thought of Seohyun’s safety at the time. If all of this has something to do with him and Seohyun’s gets to danger, he won’t be able to forgive himself. Screw his life.

When the stranger saw Kyuhyun somewhat distracted by what he said, he took the opportunity to let himself free. With a sudden push and blow to the younger, the stranger found himself out of the younger’s hold. He immediately stood up and wiped the blood on the corner of his mouth. Kyuhyun did not avert his eyes on the stranger.

Could it be that he is not alone?

Kyuhyun looked the way Seohyun went. “Dang it! Dang it!”

“You should go after her if you are that worried. Who knows there might still be someone plotting a not so good thing to her.” The stranger spat. “Besides, I'm finished with my business already. Thanks to you Kyuhyun-ssi”

“What are you even saying?”

“Well as a sign of my gratitude for helping me figure it out, I will tell you what I was asked to do.” He said. “I was hired to know what relationship exists between you two.”

“And why would the person who hired you need to know that?” Kyuhyun scoffed

“Who knows?” he answered. “Maybe she is someone useful. You should probably know why though”

Kyuhyun fell silent.

The stranger felt triumphant of what he said. He was ready to have a dramatic exit when he heard a mocking laugh from the younger.

“So.. tell me…” Kyuhyun trailed as he lowered his gaze to the ground. “…what have you found out?”

The stranger raised his eyebrow then chuckled. “Just as it is. You and that girl have a romantic relationship.”

Another laugh was heard. “I hate to let you down but we are not in that kind of relationship, mister.” Kyuhyun said

“Tch” They guy hissed. “And you want me to believe that?”

“Oh well I’m just telling you the truth.” Kyuhyun said with a shrug. “And I’m sparing you the humiliation you might get from whoever that sent you when the truth is finally set out in the open.”

“I’ve been following both of you for quite a while now and you can't hide the fact that you treat her differently than other people.” The stranger said as a matter of fact. “You can't fool me brat!” It was his turn to smirk but was immediately erased when Kyuhyun spoke.

“You really want to know who she is for me?” Kyuhyun said as cold as he could muster. “She is just a tough, loud, nagging student council president who's secret I accidentally found out. She did not want to let the whole student population to know her secret part time job so I’m doing the person a favor of keeping her secret. Interesting right. In other words, it’s my secret entertainment.”

“That's it?”

“Yeah that's it.” Kyuhyun said bluntly. “So screw whatever that stupid romantic relationship you are saying!!  She was just a distraction from my awfully boring life.”

The stranger felt devastated. Kyuhyun mentally congratulated himself for sounding so convincing. Besides, he finds it more difficult to say the things that he means than the things that he doesn’t. Of course, all that he has said was to bluff. Although it was true that he was not in a romantic relationship with Seohyun but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t consider the girl special—so much more special than anyone else. He needed to do just that because he can’t risk her getting hurt or her safety be jeopardized just because he is attached to the girl.

“Then how do you explain the times when you always helped her and how you always show up when she’s in a situation?”

“It just so happens that I’m always there whenever things happen.” Kyuhyun answered. “I was just being a nice person. And I don't really like seeing people getting hurt or going through a hard time with me just watching.”

Kyuhun felt that the stranger was getting in his bluff so he took this time to attack the stranger again. They had a fist fight and exchanged a couple of punches here and there until the stranger was again back to the ground limping in pain and with a bloody face. “So do me a favor and report to that someone who sent you everything that I said. And tell him, if he wants to get a piece of me, come out himself and don’t resort into cowardly things like taking hold of people around me.” Kyuhyun said. “And as for you… I'm sorry…I don’t get beaten twice. So I hope we don't have to meet again.”

After saying this,  Kyuhyun left the guy half-conscious.

 

 

 

After the encounter with the stranger, he quickly ran to the railway station to see if Seohyun was still there. When he couldn’t find the person there, he immediately bought a ticket and rode the subway train heading to Seohyun's house. He felt anxious about wether the girl safely made her way back home or got kidnapped on her way. Dang it!He felt paranoid over the matter.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun was in front of Seohyun's house and he saw the light on Seohyun's room. His hands reached towards the doorbell but stopped right before he could press it. He thought it was weird if he said he wanted to visit especially at this time of the night. He wanted to have a solid confirmation that the girl got back home safe, so he fumbled inside his pocket, got his phone out and dialled Seohyun's number.

 

 

 

Seohyun got back from work that evening tired. She lied down on her bed and closed her eyes but she was not yet sleepy. She wondered about this knowing that she hasn’t been having good night rest for the past two nights. In this time did her mind start to wander to a certain someone.

He was not at school again today.

Where are you?

What have you been doing?

Are you alright?

Are you fine? Are you sick? Are you dead?

Like dead really, Seohyun? A voice in her mind spoke.

Her thoughts were disrupted when her phone rang. She lifted it up to her face and blinked twice when she saw the caller. Kyuhyun. She immediately sat up and answered the phone. 

YAH!! CHO KYUHYUN!! YOU’RE ALIVE!!” she spoke loudly, she was sure the other person got his eardrums destroyed. It was a good thing Kyuhyun was able to temporarily move the phone away on time.

“Well good evening too, Seohyun” Kyuhyun answered sarcastically. “Aren't you too energetic in the evening?”

“Shut up!” Seohyun started to calm down. “Why did you call?”

“Are you home right now?” Seohyun could hear the gentleness from his voice. She didn’t know why this was making her worried

“Yeah” Seohyun’s voice started to soften. “Where else would I be?”

“Right” Kyuhyun said. “So since I know you’re home and safe I’m hanging u—”

“W-Wait” Seohyun said. “Hey how have you been? I haven’t seen you since the fire accident. Are you alright? You didn’t seem fine the last time I saw you.”

“Yes, I’m fine” Kyuhyun answered. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Uhmm” Seohyun hummed. “J-just that it felt like you are not”

“Hn?”

“Nevermind” Seohyun forced a laugh.

“You’re just worrying too much again, Seo” Kyuhyun said

Seohyun frowned. You say you’re fine but you obviously are not. It took a lot of her self restraint not to say that. “M-Maybe I was”

“You should go to sleep now Seo”

“That goes to you too, Pabo!”

“Neh”

“Feel better soon”

“I told you I’m fine.”

That was just the last bit of Seohyun’s self-control. She decided not to pry on the matter at first but the erted alien has been making her feel frustrated telling her he is fine when he really is not. “Yah, don’t tell me any of your nonsense.” Seohyun ranted. “Why do you always not say anything during urgent times? If you can’t say it, then just tell me you can’t say it. Just stop saying you’re fine when you obviously are not!!”

The two were silent for a moment.

“Mian” Seohyun heard from the other line. “I made you worried again, didn’t I?”

Seohyun was trying to calm herself down. “And you deserve a smack on the head for that! Be thankful you are in the safety of the four walls of your apartment. If not, I would literally do that to you.”

“Thanks, prez” Kyuhyun smiled

“Mmmh” Seohyun grunted as a welcome. “Y-You should come back to school too.”

“Why?”

“What’s with that question?” Seohyun raised an eyebrow. “You are a student and students go to school and study, what else?”

Kyuhyun laughed. “I thought you had something to say. If you have, just tell me now.”

“If I do have something to say, I’ll tell that in your face Pabo!”

“I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

Seohyun’s heart skipped a beat. That means she will finally get to confess. “Oh”

“I feel better now.” Kyuhyun sighed in relief. “Thanks for the distraction, Seo”

“Good!” Seohyun said. “I’m glad I could be a distraction from your awfully boring life.

Goodnight!”

“Goodnight”

Seohyun’s eyes lingered on her phone even if the conversation ended for a while now. She was somehow relieved but she also felt sad. It was no doubt she was affected of whatever was happening to Kyuhyun. When did she even start worrying too much about him? He wanted to help the guy. Well, he did implicitly admit that he was not totally fine but he never said what it was about.

This night was yet again a sleepless night for Seohyun.

 

 

 

A very early morning the next day at Kyunghee High, Jaejoong saw Kyuhyun walking bored along the still empty hallways. He started to approach the guy who was just looking outside the window.

“Yah you finally decided to show your face.” Jaejoong started. “What a surprise.”

Kyuhyun turned to the unexpected voice that interrupted his silent reverie. “I’m more surprised that you are here early.” Kyuhyun answered as he recognized Jaejoong. “Studying diligently these days, huh?”

Jaejoong blushed at the comment. “W-what’s wrong with that? Seeing that finals is just around..”

Kyuhyun smirked. “And when did you even care about studying insignificant boy?”

“Aishh..” Jaejoong hissed. “Yah and I told you not to call me that!!”

“What's wrong with calling something what it is?” Kyuhyun tried to piss the other even more. “Insignificant boy”

“Yah!! I told you I’m not ingnifica—”

“A-araseo..” Kyuhyun heaved a big sigh as he interrupted the other. “I don't even know why I’m having this conversation with you.”

Kyuhyun was about to leave Jaejoong alone, but as he passed by him, the latter spoke. “Take care of her please..”

Kyuhyun suddenly halted on his tracks. Still with their backs facing each other, Jaejoong continued. “Seohyun , I mean.”

Hearing the President’s name, Kyuhyun turned around and looked at Jaejoong again

“What is this?” Kyuhyun genuinely asked confused. “Why do I feel like you’re giving up already?

Jaejoong looked back at Kyuhyun and snickered. “I’m not giving up.” He answered. “It’s just that she already made her choice.”

Kyuhyn creased his eyebrows but was somehow having a grasp of what the other was talking about. “Would you stop being vague and explain things properly!” Kyuhyun voiced out.

Jaejoong’s eyes softened. “Oh I see, you haven’t talked yet.” He said. “Mian, I should have not gotten ahead of things.”

Kyuhyun didn’t know why he felt impatient and Jaejooong was not helping with all the dodging. “Just say it, dang it!” Kyuhyun started to raise his voice. “After you got me a part of it you owe me the favor of not letting me hanging.”

Jaejoong also started to get irritated as Kyuhyun raised his voice. He didn’t know why Kyuhyun was even angry. “Yah if you’re too anxious to know, why don’t you just use your head?!? Didn’t they say you are smart??!?” Jaejoong ranted. “Besides, I won’t get in the way of Seohyun and tell you things that she wants to say to you personally. She has been meaning to tell you since two days ago but you were being a jerk and not coming to school. If you had come, you could have known it two days ago and not having this argument with me!!!”

Silence. Kyuhyun remembered part of his and Seohyun’s conversation last night.

I haven’t seen you since the fire accident.

Y-You should come back to school too.

If I do have something to say, I’ll tell that in your face Pabo!

Kyuhyun looked down, his heart was thumping like crazy and he felt his chest suddenly tighten. “Jebal..” was all that he could utter.

Kyuhyun should feel really happy right now because Seohyun feels the same but he doesn’t. Instead, his chest ached. Was happiness supposed to hurt? What has been happening to him lately? When he found out that ahjusshi came back and that his father was looking for him and wants him back, he should’ve felt glad but it wasn’t entirely like that. And now, at this moment when he found out that the person she cherishes so much feels the same, it should’ve been blissful right? But dominantly, he felt fear. He was afraid of the uncertain future that was coming.

Jaejoong felt the atmosphere change as soon as Kyuhyun started to look away and somehow feeling pity for Kyuhyun acting like that, “Aishh jinjja..” Jaejoong hissed. “She is choosing you Pabo! Do you know how much I hate you when she told me??? You don't even know how bad I wanted to stop her when she told me she is going to tell you how she feels.”

Gathering back his composure, Kyuhyun looked back at Jaejoong “Then why did you tell me these things?”

Jaejong smiled. “Before I even loved her, she was my bestfriend.” He answered. “And she'll stay as that forever. Eventhough it’s sad that we can't be more than that, she will always be a special part of my life.”

“That's cheesy I'm getting chills” Kyuhyun said nonchalantly—his entire self being void with emotions right now.”

“Listen you Pabo!!” Jaejoong Jaejoong said ignoring the apathy in Kyuhyun’s comment . “What I'm saying is if you ever hurt her, I won't think twice to kill you.”

Then you should do it now. He should’ve said but Kyuhyun was rendered speechless.

“Hey I wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction” Jaejoong said. “Shouldnt you be happy right now?”

“I am?!” to Kyuhyun, that sounded more like a question than a statement of what he was supposed to feel

Jaejoong scoffed then folded his arms. “Tch, of course you do..” Jaejoong didn’t notice the irony in Kyuhyun’s answer. He approached Kyuhyun then punched him lightly on the chest. “..and you are really a good guy. I won’t regret giving up Seohyun for you. J-just take care of her.” He said patting Kyuhyun’s shoulder

“Why does it feel like you’re going away?” Kyuhyun asked

Jaejoong smiled. “I am…maybe..”

“What?”

“I got casted to be a trainee in an entertainment company. I’m thinking of going there after graduation”

“Why?no!”

“No??? What no??” Jaejoong asked. “Yah, aren’t you being rude?! It’s a way towards my dreams. It isn’t like I’ll be gone forever. It would just be a little harder to meet each other. Yah and don’t tell me you’ll miss me, that’s really creepy.”

“but Seohyu—”

“She'll be fine.” Jaejoong reassured unaware of what Kyuhyun was actually worried for. “You would be there so I'm not worried.”

Not when I’m actually leaving.

Seeing that Kyuhyun was still silent, “Yah, you are really acting weird…what happened to you? Are you sick? Aren’t you still feeling well?”

“J-Just overwhelmed” Kyuhyun said. “And it feels like I don’t know what to do.”

Jaejoong smiled. “It’s simple. Go meet Seohyun and listen to what she’s going to say.” He said tapping Kyuhyun’s shoulder again before walking away.

“How I wish it was as easy as it seems..” Kyuhyun said to himself as he watched Jaejoong’s retreating figure down the hallway.

Feeling helpless and tired of everything so early in the morning, Kyuhyun fished his phone from his pocket and dialed a number.

“Ahjussi…” Kyuhyun trailed. “..I think I have to get away as soon as possible.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------

A/N: Yorobeun!! Here is an update! There is a little interaction for Seokyu here so Yaay!!

I’ve been sick for the past few weeks and I am still recovering so I was not able to update. I felt guilty for not updating for too long so here it is. Gomawoyo for waiting. It’s still a short chapter but do leave comments. They would be much appreciated.

Saranghaeyo!