Chapter 54

Please Keep My Secret

The next day..

While walking along the streets going to school..

"I'll tell him today..i'll tell him today.." Seohyun kept mumbling to herself.

Last night, after the conversation with her mom..

FLASHBACK

SEOHYUN’S POV

After closing the door of my room, I stayed frozen at the door for a while. I realized I was going to do the hardest thing I'm going to do in my teenage life. I suddenly felt my heart slam against my chest. I can literally hear it in my ears.

Should I really do it?

Can I really do it?

Telling someone a secret will make a person closer to you.

Omma was just teasing me right?

If you want Kyuhyun-ssi to ask for your help and open up problems that are not easy to tell to random people, you should confess to him. Omma's words kept repeating in my head.

I pulled my hair in frustration. I'm so confused right now.

How should I do it?

.

.

.

Letters.

A lot of people do it through letters. I even saw a lot of girls at school confess to him through that.

But I was never really good at making letters or words expressing my feelings.

 

.

.

.

Then an idea came.

Maybe I should look up some ways how to confess on the web.

I opened my laptop and typed 'ways to confess'. After pressing the enter button, a list of suggestions appeared. I scrolled down to see but after browsing on a few of them...

Yah what is this? I'm not going to do these!!

The thing is all of those listed were too ridiculous. I can't even continue reading them so I shut my laptop down.

Feeling the failure, I slumped down my bed. I remembered the time when Kyuhyun confessed during Chungwoon's School Festival.

Just how much more are you gonna make me endure? I wanted to see your interesting expressions, that‘s why I teased you. Your sudden smiles always surprise me. They are interesting but dangerous enough to make my heart race. Because you might misunderstand my intentions, I have been enduring a lot of things and I can’t phrase it short…even now.

I love you, Seohyun!

I could feel my face grow hot as I remembered that time. My heart ran wildly and my stomach wanted to do somersaults. Somehow, I felt embarrass with that memory. Luckily no one is here to see me blushing beet red because of just one confession.

The confession was neither cheesy nor cringe-worthy…

.

.

.

It was actually sweet…

.

.

.

Because it just felt honest and sincere.

Then a smile formed in my lips. That's right..just honest and sincere.

END OF POV

END OF FLASHBACK

Although, Seohyun figured out how to do it, she ended up pulling an all-nighter practicing what to say. In the end, she was not still able to come up with the right words.

"Seohyun-ah" she heard Yuri

"Oh good morning, Yuri-yah!" She greeted

"Good morning!" Yuri said cheerfully then frowned when she noticed Seohyun's eyes. "Are you alright? You seem like you did not sleep at all. What did you even do last night?"

I just thought of ways how to confess to a guy. She could not probably say that. "I studied and I lost track of time."

"Aigoo" Yuri said. "You're smart already. You won't have any problems with academics."

Seohyun smiled. "Araseo..I won't ove-" Seohyun stopped as she felt the hairs on her nape stood up. She was sure someone was watching her. She looked around but only saw students in uniform also on their way to school.

"Waeyo?" Yuri asked confused when she saw Seohyun. "Are you looking for something?"

"Uh? N-Nothing" she answered. "It's like..."

"Like what?"

"A-ani" she shook her head. "Nevermind"

"Aigoo..that's the result of pulling so much all nighters"

"I-I guess" Seohyun awkwardly smiled.

 

 

 

After the morning classes, it was finally lunchbreak. Seohyun took the opportunity to find Kyuhyun and finally do the thing that has been bothering her. She passed by his classroom but he wasn't there. She went to places where he could probably be but still no shadow of the guy.

Where is he? He isn't doing anything stupid, doesn't he? She asked in her head then looked at her wristwatch. Lunchbreak will be over soon. Still with no success, she gave up on finding Kyuhyun and headed back to her next class.

I'll find him at Maid Latte, maybe?

 

 

 

 

Later that day, at Maid Latte...

As soon as Seohyun stepped out of the locker room, she immediately scanned the surroundings to look for the person she has not seen for the whole day. Luck proved to be not by her side today because the person was still nowhere to be found. She went to the kitchen in case he was there but she only saw the two girls in the kitchen.

"Oh annyeonghaseyo" the two girls greeted

"Annyeonghaseyo" she greeted back

"Seohyun-ah, you're here early" Taeyeon said

"Neh, unnie. Student Council work finished a little bit earlier than usual"

"Seohyun, could you bring this out to table 3" Yoona called

"Yeah, I'm coming Yoona unnie" she said then carried the order out.

She scanned the place to see if Kyuhyun came as a customer today but she only saw the Pabo Trio smiling as she headed towards their table. She placed their order and tried to smile. "Enjoy your meal Masters!" she said before turning around.

"Neh!!" the Pabo Trio exclaimed too cheerfully in Seohyun's distate

 

 

At closing time..

"Yorobeun..thanks for the hardwork!" Taeyeon chimed

"Neh!" everyone bowed before changing off from their uniforms.

Before, Seohyun could get out of the backdoor..

"He is not thinking of shocking me after I get out doesn't he?" she asked herself

"Nugu?" Taeyeon asked

Seohyun turned to the older quite surprised. "Eh?"

"Kyuhyun-ssi?" Taeyeon asked. "Thinking about that, I haven't seen him since Christmas. How's he doing lately?"

Seohyun's features softened. "I don't know unnie." Seohyun said. "I haven't seen him at school today."

"Are you worried?" Taeyeon teased

"A-aniyo.." Seohyun tried to hide her blush by looking away. She couldn’t understand herself. She said she was going to confess but why can’t she even admit that she is worrying about Kyuhyun. "Why would I even think of that guy?!"

Yeah, right Seo! A sarcastic voice came in her head.

Seohyun could only sigh. "Anyway unnie. I need to go now. I'll see you again tomorrow." she bowed before walking away.

"Acting all stubborn still, Seohyun-ah" Taeyeon said to herself.

 

 

Seohyun has never felt this lonely going back home from work. Although she always shooed Kyuhyun away, she must’ve been used to his presence. And it doesn’t help her that she hasn’t done his goal for today. Of all the days he chose not to show himself is the day Seohyun wants to see him.

Just as she was passing by a deserted alleyway, she felt the hair on his nape stand up again. It was the same as this morning when she was with Yuri. She alerted herself and side-eyed her surroundings. Before she could finally come out of the alleyway, she stopped then turned around.

“Who’s there?” she said loudly but she saw no one. “Don’t be a coward and show yourself.  If you want something from me, come out here and face me!”

But the alleyway remained silent except for Seohyun's breathing.

Am I just imagining things? Seohyun thought before hesitatingly walk away towards the train station.

When she was already a safe distance away, a guy in black and hood came out.

“tch..If it isn’t a girl..” the guy muttered grinning walking away towards the opposite direction

 

 

 

Earlier this morning at Kyuhyun's apartment..

The lad slowly opened his eyes as he heard the sound of the alarm clock blasting in his ears. It just made his head hurt more. He tried to reach his alarm clock but then sound suddenly stopped. His eyes found their way to the person beside his bed looking at him.

"Are you feeling any better?" Mr. Park asked

Kyuhyun sat up on his bed when an aching throb on his head made him wince and clutch the side of his head. "J-just a headache. It'll be okay when I take the painkillers."

Looking at the younger man lethargic, with messy bed hair and puffy and dull eyes, Mr. Park said "If you are not feeling really well, just skip school."

Kyuhyun heaved a big sigh before lying back down. Mr. Park immediately reached for the younger's forehead. "You're burning hot. I'll go make something you could eat then take some meds. Ok?"

"Uhmm" Kyuhyun hummed before closing his eyes and covering it with his arm. "But ahjussi.."

"Yes, young master?"

"W-will you tell me everything now…?" Kyuhyun asked weakly.

“I’ll tell you everything you need to know” Mr. Park answered. “But will you be okay? We can talk about it when you are a li-little bit better. It’s not like we are really in a rush?”

Kyuhyun gave out a sad smile still with his arm covering his eyes. “Didn’t you say you have to bring me back to America soon?” Kyuhyun asked. “I thought that meant that th-this..these things that are happening are urgent situations.”

“T-that is..” Mr. Park said in defeat. “..but my priority is to keep you safe and well, not make you worse.”

Kyuhyun removed his arms that covered his face then looked at the man standing near the door. “I’d be lying if I tell you I’d be perfectly okay but I will be fine.”Kyuhyun said with a forced smile. “Besides, isn’t it better to take all the blows at once than prolonging the agony by taking it one by one?”

Mr. Park was taken aback. “That is if you’re strong enough to take it all at once.” He said still worried

“Don’t you think I have not been prepared enough for that?”

Sighing in defeat, “Alright, I’ll tell you everything but not after you eat and take the meds” Mr. Park said

“Alright”

 

 

 

 

The next day..

Seohyun has nearly used most of her lunchtime looking for Kyuhyun again. She really needs to see him right now because this confession thing has been making it hard for her peace of mind not to mention her sleep. Last night, she ended up having to toss and turn on her bed everynow and then because she's getting utterly worried of the erted alien. She is already under mental stress, she can't afford to get physically burnt out too. She just needs to tell him what she wanted to say and everything will be alright and her precious sleep will be back to normal.

After searching everywhere, she was still nowhere near success. She was getting really frustrated when suddenly she was dragged to an empty classroom.

“Hey Seo, I've seen you going around everywhere. Are you looking for something? Do you need help?”

“I-I'm fine, Jaejoong-ssi. Don't mind me. I was just looking for Kyuhyun-ssi” Seohyun said.

Jaejoong's smile was immediately replaced by a frown which has not gone unnoticed by Seohyun. She approached Jaejoong still looking at her friend who had his gaze on the floor. Maybe, I also need to tell him.

“Hero-ssi”

“Neh?” Jaejoong looked up in surprise. “It's been a long time since you've called me that.”

“I-I've got something to tell you..” Seohyun stuttered “..t-that..tch how should I put it?”

“Hmmm?”

“Wait..wait a minute. I've already thought of various ways to explain this. But the more I think about it, the more complicated it gets..” Seohyun said

Jaejoong just looked at Seohyun with a sad smile. “It's okay Seohyun-ah” Jaejoong spoke. “For some reason I'm already well aware of what you are trying to say..”

“Jae..”

“I will explain it in place of you..” Jaejoong stated. “Seo likes Kyuhyun-ssi and Kyuhyun-ssi likes Seohyun as well...and now to Seo, my feelings won't be able to get through..is that what you are trying to say?”

“I'm sorry Jaejoong-ssi..” Seohyun apologized

“There is no need for you to apologize because I do not plan to give up. Even if it is impossible right now, there is still the possibility for the feelings to change in the future right?” Jaejoong said. “At first when I came back here, I already knew that the progress won't go on so well. But I've made up my resolve since long before..i'll wait even if Seo gets mad at me.” Jaejoong looked into Seohyun's eyes. “There is just one thing I want to clarify..are the two of you already together?”

“A-Aniyo..” Seohyun answered. “But I'm planning to tell him how I feel..”

“Hhhh” Jaejoong chuckled. “Maybe I should stop you..”

“Yah!! what are you even spouting about?!?”

Jaejoong pulled Seohyun to him in a very tight hug. “If you dislike this, then push me away...” Jaejoong said as the girl struggled in his embrace. “...or else I won't let go of you forever.”

At this moment, Seohyun stopped struggling “Rather than dislike, I'm troubled..”

“Then it's fine for you to scold me!!!” Jaejoong stated "because if you don't, you'll always get troubled by me”

“What are you saying? What's the matter with you?” She said as she struggled to be freed. But somehow Jaejoong was not budging no matter what she did. “Yah like what i said, stop it!!!” But Jaejoong just held her tighter. “Yah!! Kim Jaejoong I'm serious. If you don’t let go of me, I'm seriously going to beat you up”

Just as Seohyun was going to push Jaejoong away, he let go of her suddenly. “Hehe..I was just fooling around” he said as he tapped Seohyun's head. “I'm sorry Seohyun-ah”

“You're not funny..” Seohyun spouted back.

Silence.

Jaejoong smiled.

“I just realized, you don't only like him..you love him..”

“I don't know, honestly” Seohyun lowered her gaze. “It's just that I want to be always near him and protect him. Omma said I like him more than I think I do..” Seohyun trailed. “..if you could call it love then I guess I do love him.”

“So does this mean you won't be changing you mind?”

“I don't know for sure since I can't see what's going to happen in the future. It's just that this has been the strongest feeling I have ever felt in my life that..” Seohyun admitted. “..that if I do not do something about it I'm gonna go crazy!!!”

“That means there is still the possibility of change.” Jaejoong said with high hopes

“Please..jaej—“

“Then don't doubt yourself because if I see any shadow of wavering I’m going to take you back.”

Seohyun looked at her friend with sad eyes. “You are a good person and you are important to me. I'm doing this because I don't want to hurt anyone. I don’t want you getting hurt.”

“That’s alright!”

“What?”

“It’s inevitable in this situation. There is someone who is bound to hurt one way or another. It might be me, Kyuhun or you. We don't know for now who'll gonna get hurt—that depends on the choices each of us will make. But there will definitely be one.” Jaejoong said. “Before coming here I was prepared for the worst if things didn't come too well. In our search for happiness we are bound to get hurt and may also hurt people along the way. So don't be afraid to hurt me if that's for your own happiness. If I know you would be happy I would be happy eventually.”

“But stil—”

“And in that way...” Jaejoong said almost in a whisper tears b in his eyes. “..I could finally let you go.”

Seohyun looked at him with much worry. She could tell that he was trying to control his tears from falling. And it hurt her to see his friend like that.

“Hey what’s with that face?” Jaejoong broke the silence, casually wiped the tears away and tried to smile. “It's not like we are not gonna be friends anymore.”

Seohyun was just looking at him.

“Don't tell me..” Jaejoong’s eyes widened as he gasped. “You are really throwing away our 10-year friendship just because of this..?”

“Yah!!” Seohyun shouted. “Am I crazy??”

“I know” Jaejoong chuckled then pat Seohyun’s head. “Of course you'll need someone to beat that jerk if he'll hurt you.”

This time he gave out a genuine smile and Seohyun smiled back. “I can do that myself though”

“Yeah, you’re right” Jaejoong joked. “Then we can tag team for that.”

Then both burst out laughing.

"Gomawo" Seohyun spoke.

Jaejoong shook his head. “Na ah..no problem.” Jaejoong said. “W-we should go back to class.”

Nods.

Your friendship is a special gift, generously given, happily accepted and deeply appreciated.

 

 

 

That night, Kyuhyun found himself aimlessly wandering around Seoul after the very long conversation with Mr. Park. Despite the warnings given by the older not to go out alone, he ended up doing otherwise, assuring the older that he can take care of himself well now.

He just needed to clear his mind for a little while. He has been staying inside his apartment for two days now instead of going to school. He only planned not to go to school for a day but the older man insisted that he rest for another day. He did not want to, but the butler managed to sneak in a couple of sleeping pills with his medicines which was at that time, he was too lazy to know what for. That's why he ended up just resting yesterday. Although things turned out like that, he could only be grateful to the man. At the very least, he really needed the rest.

He woke up around 10 in the morning, hungry. As soon as he got off his bed and out of his room, he saw the table already set with a good breakfast. The older man didn't fail to check on him. It somehow felt new since he always did things on his own for several years.

The whole day today was what he anticipated the most. His questions will finally be answered.

The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off. Not that he was blaming anyone but he is angry that he could not do anything back then.

FLASHBACK FROM THIS MORNING

Mr. Park looked at the younger man sitting infront of him. He could see that Kyuhyun was calm on the outside but he could see the anxiety in his eyes. As much as he wanted to stall more time to avoid this moment, he didn’t have a choice doesn’t he? Besides, this time will eventually come. It’s just that it came sooner than what he expected.

“First thing you should know is that you are a part of an influential family.” Mr. Park started. “Which I think you already have a clue.”

Kyuhyun just nods.

“From when you were young, you might think that it’s just like some other successful company or business in Korea but I’m telling you it’s more than that.” Mr. Park said. “Young master.. you are the only heir of one of the biggest conglomerates in the world..which explains why you were living in America back then.”

“Then, why am I suddenly brought to Korea?”

“The fire that you remember..” Mr. Park started. “It was not just an accident but an act to bring your family down. Success makes so many people envy you. Certain people became envious of your family’s power and influence so they wanted to get rid of you—even to the point of killing your whole family. And as you remember..y-your m-mom..”

Kyuhyun felt his heart clench with the memory.

“t-the madam was unfortunately killed.” Mr. Park said. “And she said that I should look over you and bring you back to Korea to hide you from those people.”

“If you were asked to stay with me, why did you leave?” Kyuhyun asked

“Those people only knew you were with me but they did not know what country we went into hiding.” Mr. Park said. “I was careless because they found out that we were in Korea. Luckily, they didn’t know the exact place where you were kept. To lessen the risk of you being found, I needed to divert their attention and headed to Japan. That’s how they stopped searching in Korea.”

Kyuhyun was just silent, too speechless to say anything.

“Although I wasn’t there with you I was always watching you.” Mr. Park added

“But still..” Kyuhyun said bitterly. “..severing all types of communication to a 12-year old kid. Isn’t that too much?”

“This.. I would be forever sorry for you but I was left with no choice” Mr. Park apologized. “But that was the only way for you to be safe. We could not trust anyone at that time because the enemy has managed to have some spies inside the company and your house.”

Kyuhyun lowered his gaze.

“Eventhough, I was not there..you did grew up to be a very fine young man, Kyuhyun” Mr. Park said with a smile. “You are on top of everything that I thought you’re enjoying school way too much.”

“I could only bury my head in books and develop my skills to stay alive.” Kyuhyun answered. “But I did everything out of anger. So that when time comes and you decided to show up, I could tell in your face that I don’t need your help.”

“Headstrong neh?” Mr. Park chuckled. “I was just saddened you could not play the piano”

Kyuhyun’s hands trembled that he had to clench them.

“It was the instrument you were best at.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes as images of him and his mother playing the piano appeared on his mind. “Th-That is..is…i-it’s because it is om-omma’s f-favorite instrument” he stuttered as he held the pendant that served as the last memory from his mother.

“I’m sorry”

“K-kwaenchana”

Silence.

“How about appa?” Kyuhyun asked when he finally calmed down. “What happened to him during that time?”

“He was away in Japan for a business trip but he was also attacked that time.” Mr. Park said. “He was hurt but luckily was able to run away from danger. I was only able to get in contact with him when I went to Japan. I told him you were in Korea and that it was risky if he gets in contact with you. He had a hard time knowing that you were alone. If only you could see how heartbroken he was when he knew about your situation.”

“Appa..” Kyuhyun said. “H-how is he now?”

“That’s why I am here.” Mr. Park said. “I was asked to bring you back to America. He wanted to wait until you graduate from High School but seeing that you are not safe here already made him think otherwise.”

Kyuhyun was shocked. I need to go back to America? A very unpleasant feeling came over him. Isn’t this what you have always wanted? To be able to be in a place where you belong? Kyuhyun had these thoughts. But why can’t I feel really happy about it?

“Young master” Mr. Park called. “We need to go back as soon as possible.”

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------

A/N: Annyeong! Here’s an update! I’m sorry if I’m still slow in updating. I’ve been busy but I’ll try to update soon for the next chapter.

I’m sorry I needed to cut it there.. (>_<). The chapter would be too long if I continue..i think.. (^-^)

We haven’t have any Seokyu interactions in here, right?..who misses them?? Hehe..I’ll put something on the next chapter. Please anticipate it.

Saranghaeyo yorobeun!!!

Comment-juseyo