Chapter 21

Please Keep My Secret

 

The next day at Dongguk High (5:30 pm)…

For the whole day, Donghae has been out of focus. The turnout of the event yesterday really took him by surprise.

“It seems like she turned down the offer neh Prez!” Shindong said

“Yea, I’ve never met a person such as her” Donghae replied. “She’s way too different”

“Don’t worry about it too much Prez. I think the student Council will still do well even without her” Shindong comforted when he felt that Donghae’s mood was down. He never expected that their President would be so affected.

“By the way Prez, here are the suggestions we got from the Student’s suggestion box. I’ll just leave it on your desk.” Shindong said before going home.

Donghae just answered him with a nod. He could not concentrate on his work so he decided to take the work at home. He picked the piles of paper and started to walk towards the parking lot where his car is. While walking he thought of many things.

FLASHBACK

A 6-year old Donghae was happily walking when he heard tiny voices along the way. He hid himself behind the bush and listened to the conversation of his friends.

“Hey why do you always play with that Lee Donghae? He is so boring!” one child questioned

“I can’t do otherwise. My parents told me to befriend him because their family is so rich. So even if he is boring to play with, I’m continuously sticking to him” answered another boy

“That would be very hard for you” a third boy said

The boy pouted and answered, “Yes, but it’s okay, besides he gives me many gifts and he really has many toys”

“Really?” the other two boys asked in amazement

“Yes, you should really try to befriend him. Just don’t make it obvious that you’re not enjoying his company” the boy said

“Yes, we should do that”

The three boys laughed with all their heart not knowing that the person they are talking about is silently listening to them. Donghae felt so betrayed so he went back to his house and cried in one corner. Not long after, his father saw him crying.

“Donghae-ah, why are you crying? Kwaenchana?” his father asked

“Appa, I heard my friends say that I’m boring to play with” He answered in between his cries. “They also said that they just play with me because their parents told them so.” Donghae cried harder.

“Really? They said that? Aigoo, those kids are really bad. You see Donghae-ah, I always told you not to be friends with those kinds of people because all that they are after with is our money. That’s why it is not worth it for you to waste those tears for those worthless poor people. I always told you to stand on your feet alone. You don’t need other people.”

Donghae looked at his dad and said, “Yes, appa, from now on I will not trust people especially those that don’t belong to our social circle” Donghae said while wiping his tears with the back of his hands. “I will show those people that I’m better off without them”

Donghae’s dad smiled at him and pat his head, “That’s right! Now flash me a big smile then I will treat you for an ice cream”

“Here you go appa.” Donghae flashed a cheeky smile. “So buy me an ice cream now. I want strawberry.”

END OF FLASHBACK

DONGHAE’S POV

Appa always thought me not to trust other people since they are only after the money that I have. And as for my past experiences I have proven it myself. But now…

I pity you.

Have you been looking down on people like that all your life?

The reason I came here today is to decline your offer.

Seo Joo Hyun made me so confuse. All these years, I believed that money was everything. Could it be that I was wrong? And could it be that Appa was wrong also?

Cellphone Ringing…

“Yoboseyo, neh appa?” I asked

“Could you come home early son?” Appa asked

“Of course Appa. I’m on my way home. Did something come up?” I asked

“Yes, we’ll talk about with when you get back” Appa said

“Araso. See you later then. Bye” and I hung up the phone

I was putting back my phone in my pocket when..BUMP!! And there goes my cellphone on the ground.

“Jiosonghabnida” I heard a girl apologize but passed by me right after.

END OF POV

YOONA’S POV

I was walking towards the parking when I remembered to call Taeyeon unnie.

“Yoboseyo, Taeyeon-unnie”

“Oh, Yoona-ssi. What made you call?” unnie asked in the other line

“Unnie, can I be excused from my shift today?” I asked

“What’s the matter? Did something happen?” unnie asked instead

“Something came up from home and I can’t forego it.” I answered

“Okay, I hope nothing bad happened” unnie said

“Gomawo unnie. I’ll make it up to you next time. I promise.” I replied

“Okay, Bye”

“Bye”

I put my phone inside my bag when…BUMP!!

“Jiosonghabnida!!” I continued walking after apologizing to the person I collided with

END OF POV

 

“Jiosonghabnida” Yoona walked after apologizing

“YAH!!!! YOU” Donghae shouted

Yoona turned around and saw the angry SC President

“Excuse me, are you talking to me?” Yoona asked politely

“Who else? Pabo!” Donghae said sarcastically and eyed his phone on the ground. “Pick it up!”

“..Bo?”

“I said pick it up!” Donghae said

Aissh this arrogant brat. Yoona thought to herself. she picked the phone up and handed it to Donghae. When Donghae was about to get his phone Yoona took it away.

“YAH!!” Donghae said

Yoona gave him a glare and said, “Aplogize!”

“Bo?” Donghae asked with an irritated voice

“Apologize! We bumped into each other” Yoona instructed. “We are both at fault so you also has a part for the blame”

“Bo..?” Donghae asked again

“Yah, don’t you have something else to say other than Bo?” Yoona asked angrily

“Yah, you don’t know me don’t you?” Donghae asked arrogantly

“I know you of course. You are Lee Donghae, Dongguk’s SC President. The son of the everpowerful Lee clan” Yoona said sarcastically

“So you do know me. Since you know who I am, give me the phone already.” Donghae ordered

“Tsssk! If you think you can be excused because you’re the SC Pres or the heir of the Lee Clan, then you’re wrong. I, Im Yoona, am not a believer of that principle. If you made a mistake, you must apologize no matter who you are.” Yoona ranted.

“Yah, I don’t have time for this. My dad is waiting for me. So please don’t waste my precious time.” Donghae said while sarcastically patting Yoona’s shoulder.

“You know what Pres, you’re not the only one who’s getting his time wasted. If you apologized already, then everything would have been done and your time and my time could have not been wasted” Yoona answered back with a fake smile. “Like what I’ve said, apologize first before I give you your handphone”

“SHIRO!!! It was you who was not looking on where you’re going” Donghae said

“Oh, so I was the one not looking and you were looking? If that was the case, then you should have avoided me to prevent us from colliding from each other.” Yoona said

“Aissh, Im Yoona give it to me” Donghae said while trying to get his phone but Yoona just won’t give it back.

“Then apologize already!!” Yoona yelled at him

“Never!”

“Never?” Yoona asked sarcastically. “Okay” then she shrugged her shoulders.

Yoona threw Donghae’s cellphone away and landed in the ground 5 meters away from where they were standing.

“Yah, what did you do?” Donghae asked

“If you don’t want to apologize, go get your phone yourself.” Yoona said and turned away. Before getting in her car, she looked back at Donghae and stuck her tongue out.

Donghae saw Yoona sticking her tongue out and this made him madder. He picked his phone and drove home really pissed off.

 

At the Lee’s Residence..

“Welcome back, young Master! Your father is waiting for you at the dinner table.” the Lee’s butler told Donghae

“Yea, I’ll be there in a minute.” Donghae headed towards the dining room and saw his parents waiting for him. “I’m home, appa, omma” Donghae kissed both oh his parents’ cheeks

“Take your seat and eat already” his dad motioned to him

Donghae did as ordered. While they were eating Donghae remembered about the important thing his father was talking about in the phone.

“Appa, what’s the important thing you were telling a while ago.”

“Ah about that, you’re mom and I have been planning for your engagement.” His father answered

Donghae choked at the sudden announcement. “E-engagement?” Donghae asked curiously

“Yes, engagement!” His father said. “We don’t want you to grow old without a wife. You don’t want to also, don’t you?”

“Yeh Appa, but isn’t it a bit early to be married?” Donghae asked

“Donghae-ah, it’s been a practice among us. Even some of your schoolmates have announced their engagements already.” Donghae’s mom added.

“We don’t want you to manage the company alone when the time comes. Besides you would be busy for the next 3 years studying about how to run the company so you won’t even have time to look for a wife. That’s why your mom and I looked for someone who could be your wife and who could help out with the company at the same time.” His father said

“Don’t worry. I heard she really is nice. Don’t worry it’s just the engagement. You won’t be married soon not until the next four years at that.” His mom assured him.

“But still omma, appa…I think I should be the one to choose whom I’m going to marry” Donghae refuted

Both of his parents looked at each other. Realizing their son’s argument, they came up with a decision.

“But it’s for your own good and for the company’s sake as well. Besides, your father and me were also arranged in marriage but we were able to love each other.” Her mom said

“Okay, let’s make it this way” his father suggested. “For now, just do what we say and consider her. Try to like her and go out with her. For a month, try to get to know her first then after that, decide if you’re going to push through or call off the engagement. But for one month just treat her as your fiancé, okay?”

“O-okay” Donghae said hesitatingly

“By the way, we’re meeting them on Saturday, okay?

“Araso” Donghae said