Final

My Last Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Haemi runs to the hospital as soon as she receives a call from the hospital. She went to the hospital with Mr. Cha. They run to Hakyeon’s room. When they open the door, they heard some sobbing noise and they found Hakyeon’s friends are crying except for Taekwoon. Taekwoon doesn’t cry, unlike the others. Haemi’s eyes are looking for her beloved son who is lying on the bed. Taekwoon looks at Hakyeon’s mother with sad eyes.

“He is gone, ahjumma,” Taekwoon says in a hoarse voice.

“NO!” Suddenly, Mr. Cha shouts angrily when Taekwoon said Hakyeon has passed away.

“I didn’t apologize to him yet. He can’t be dead by now. I need to apologize to him. Hakyeon-ah, Hakyeon-ah, son, my son, please wake up, son. I’m here.” Mr. Cha cries as he walks next to Hakyeon. He cups the boy’s face while waking the boy desperately.

“Please, Hakyeon. Don’t leave your father. I know I did so many wrong things to you. I know I’m a bad father. But please, don’t do this to me. Hakyeon-ah, Cha Hakyeon, please… wake up, son.” Mr. Cha cries as he hugs the latter’s body.

Hyuk looks at the man sadly before he walks to comfort the man. He pats the man’s back gently.

“Ahjusshi, no matter what we did, he won’t wake up. We have to accept the fact that he is gone, ahjusshi. Shouldn’t we be glad that his life has come to the end?  He has suffered too long, ahjusshi. Now, it is time for him to be happy in the other place. Let him go. He deserves the happiness. In my eyes, Hakyeon is like an angel. He always opens his heart to forgive you as well as Jaehyuk. He will never die in a piece if he doesn’t forgive you. So, please don’t behave like this, ahjusshi. Hakyeon would be sad if he sees you behaving like this.” Hyuk comforts that man with a soft tone.

“Hyuk is right, Hyun Jae-ah. The least thing that we can do by now is to let him go. All of us here feel sad just like how you feel sad. But what we can do. His life has reached the end. We must accept the fate that he is no longer here with us.” Haemi says while her eyes looking at her beloved son sadly. She brushes the latter’s hair softly. She can feel the coldness from Hakyeon’s skin. She can see Hakyeon’s pale face.

Mr. Cha lowers his head while crying silently as his tears are flowing onto the floor.

The day of the funeral, it was unexpected to see everyone came to Hakyeon’s funeral while wearing black uniforms. Most of the guests are the hospital staffs and patients, Hakyeon’s classmates, teachers as well as Hongbin’s sister. Everyone feels sad due to Hakyeon’s death news. The night after they buried the body, they gathered in Hakyeon’s house. All of them are sitting in the living room. Mr. Cha sits on the couch while looking at the window blankly. So does Taekwoon. Hyuk and the others look at those two sadly. They understand but they did not dare to say anything since they afraid if they will worsen the situation.

“Umm, I will check the guests at the outside.” Haemi breaks the pregnant silence as she stands up, then walks to the outside.

“I think it’s time for us to leave. I extend condolences to you and your family, Mr. Cha.” Wonshik bows before he leaves the house together with Hyuk, Hongbin, and Jaehwan.

“Umm, ahjusshi, I have something for you. It’s from Hakyeon.” Taekwoon takes out the letter from his suit’s pocket and gives it to Mr. Cha.

“Hakyeon?” Mr. Cha asks for confirmation.

“Yes, and he asked me to send this message to you. He said, please take care of your wife as well as your son, Jaehyuk and make sure that you take care of your health too. And lastly, please do not feel guilty when he’s gone. That’s all he said to me. Since I have granted his last wish, I shall take my leave by now.” Taekwoon says before he smiles to that man.

“Umm, Taekwoon-ah.” Mr. Cha calls the boy’s name abruptly.

“Yes?” Taekwoon turns around as he waits for that man to speak up.

“Thank you. Thank you for loving my son with all of your heart. Thank you for taking care of him when I wasn’t there beside him.” Mr. Cha sincerely thanks the boy as he smiles.

“My pleasure,” Taekwoon replies with a smile on his face before he leaves the house to go to the Han River, the last place he and Hakyeon dated.

Mr. Cha sends Taekwoon off with his eyes before he looks at the letter and opens the letter to read.

   Dear my father,

Finally, I can call you father for the first time in my life. If you read this letter, it means I am now in the other world, in a new life. How are you, father? Are you okay? I hope you are fine. But you know what, I’m not okay. I was diagnosed with a brain cancer stage 4, the last stage. Every day I keep praying to God to cure my disease but God gives me some signals to tell that I can’t be cured. I’m sad because I won’t be able to make you proud of me anymore. I won’t be able to live in this beautiful world anymore. I won’t be able to spend time with my friends anymore. But you know what, I did not give up for my life because of this little guy. His name is Kim Yoon. He is still a young boy, father. But he had a weak heart since he was born and his life is much shorter than mine. However, that boy is stronger than me. I asked him ‘Are you sad?’ but he said ‘No. Every night before I sleep, my mother will remind me to always happy. She says it is a good thing that I able to know how much time I had left. It is because I can use that time to do something useful.’ That boy inspires me a lot. Then I thought to myself that I want to be strong like that boy. I didn’t stop taking the chemotherapy and I tried my best to help those peoples that need helps. I just want you to know that I’m living well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter