Happy Birthday

U&I

A/N: they've been dating for four years, but have been apart for almost a year since Jonghyun graduated school

“So what are you doing for your birthday, baby?” Minho asks.

He has to repeat himself a few times, phone static making him unclear.

“Oh, nothing. Everyone’s busy and I didn’t really want to do anything by myself.” Jonghyun says when he finally understands.

“That’s a shame, baby. You deserve at minimum a sweet party. It’s too bad that everyone’s always so busy on Fridays.”

“It’s fine, really. I don’t mind. They brought cupcakes in to work, so it’s not like I didn’t have anything. I just wish you could be here to celebrate with me.”

“I know, baby, I’m sorry. I’m sending you a present though. It should be there at…8ish so be ready for it, okay?”

Jonghyun laughs softly. “Are you religiously checking the delivery tracker, baby?”

“Not religiously, just obsessively.”

“Did you tell them to send their cutest delivery boy since I can’t see you?”

“I put it in the comments, you’ll have to tell me how they do.”

They both laugh, but there’s a sadness to it all.

“I’m going to go shower so that I can be clean by the time they get here, ok?” Jonghyun says after a bit of silence.

“You’re not going to leave me for the delivery boy are you?”

“No, honey, I’m not going to leave you for the delivery boy. I would’ve left you by now if I was that easily swayed.”

“So that’s why you always order pizza from the same place even though you like the other store’s pizza better?” Minho teases.

“Maybe. I’m going to shower now, I’ll call you when I’m done.”

“Ok~”

**

Jonghyun gets out of the shower at 7:55. He makes a note to actually put a shirt on and waits near his front door. As he pulls his phone out to call, Minho beats him to it.

“Hi, honey.”

“Hi, baby. What’s your door number? The delivery boy got confused and only has the street name.”

“It’s 525. Where are you at, honey? It seems very loud there.”

“Oh I’m walking around outside. The air conditioning at my apartment is broken so it’s nicer outside.”

“Did you tell the building manager?”

“Yes, baby. It’s supposed to be fixed this weekend.”

“I know how you don’t like to be a bother so I was just making sure.”

Minho laughs. “Thank you, baby. I have to call the delivery boy again, call me when they drop it off, okay?”

“Ok, I love you.”

“Love you too, baby.”

Jonghyun waits until Minho hangs up. He wonders what Minho could’ve sent as a birthday present. Though Minho does have a job, it’s only part time and doesn’t pay well. Whatever it is, he hopes it’s not too expensive. As he starts making a list of probable gifts, there’s a knock on his door. When he opens the door, his heart almost stops.

“Minho?!”

Minho breaks out into a huge grin and holds his arms open wide.

“Happy birthday, baby!”

Jonghyun near runs into his arms and Minho holds him tight. Jonghyun can’t help himself and starts crying. Minho seems to notice and tries to pull away.

“Baby, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Jonghyun nods and just holds Minho tighter. Minho pats his back before gently pushing him back so they can go inside and shut the door. Eventually Jonghyun lets Minho pull away.

“I’m just so happy to see you, I didn’t think….I wasn’t expecting…how did you get here?”

Minho kisses Jonghyun’s head and puts his backpack down next to the door.

“I’ve been saving since christmas. Any money that wasn’t going to rent or groceries got put away. I quit going to games and stopped buying those dumb candy bars I always get on break. I didn’t have anything left to buy you a present, baby, not even a card, but I couldn’t stand not seeing you for your birthday. It took six hours, four buses and a taxi but I made it.”

Jonghyun starts crying again and Minho simply leads him to the couch. He sits down, pulling Jonghyun onto his lap. He holds him a while, pressing as many kisses as he can to Jonghyun’s cheek and forehead while he cries.

“How…How…How many days are you here for?”

“I’m here til Sunday. My bus leaves at…noon I think.”

***

They order birthday pizza and try to watch a movie but it’s clear that Minho’s too tired from his travels to really do anything exciting. After Minho showers, they turn in early. It’s a bit of a tight fit on his bed, but they cuddle up enough that it’s comfortable. Minho lets Jonghyun rest his head on his chest and the sound of Minho’s heartbeat almost puts him to sleep right away.

“So did you like my present, baby?” Minho asks, half asleep.

“No.”

“No? Was the delivery boy not cute enough?” Minho asks. He sounds hurt and Jonghyun feels bad.

“I don’t like it, I love it. More than any other present I’ve gotten.” he clarifies.

Minho sighs in relief. Jonghyun sits up and offers apology kisses.

“Sorry if I scared you, honey. I’m really glad you came. I’ve missed you so much.”

“I missed you too, baby. When I’m done with school, when I graduate in July…could I….would it be ok if….”

“Do you want to move in with me?”

“If you want me here, I understand if you don’t and I know I don’t have a job or anything lined up right now but I’m trying to find one here I know schools are going to be hiring new teachers soon and I’ve been sending resumes in-”

“I would love for you to move in, honey. I’ve missed seeing you, missed sleeping next to you. Even if you do hog all the blankets.”

Minho laughs. “If you didn’t keep the temperature so low at night I wouldn’t have to.”

“I could turn the temperature up to sweltering and you’d still steal the blankets.”

“That’s fair.”

It goes quiet and Jonghyun almost cries again.

“Thank you for coming to see me, honey. I love you.”

Minho kisses the top of his head and wraps an arm around Jonghyun’s waist.

“I love you too, baby. Happy birthday.”