She Is

U&I

 

“What is Amber to you?”

The questions been burning in Jonghyun’s mind for weeks now. Though he and Minho have hung multiple times now, they’ve never called them dates and Amber almost always picks Minho up at the end. Jonghyun’s finding himself more and more intrigued with Minho, more and more in what could be love with him, and he doesn’t want to get invested that’s not what Minho’s looking for.

“What do you mean?” Minho says, coming back to the couch with popcorn.

“Do you have feelings for her? Is she your girlfriend? What is she to you, relationship-wise?”

“She’s just my friend, Jonghyun, honest.”

“Friend friend or girlfriend?”

Minho laughs. “Jonghyun, Amber’s a lesbian.”

“Oh. She is?”

“Yeah. She has a girlfriend, Luna; they’ve been dating for...two or three years now. When we left the party, that first time we spoke, it was because she had to go pick her up from work. I don’t have a car, so she always drives me places. Our friendship is just gay lesbian solidarity. We met our freshman year of high school so we’re just really really close at this point.”

“Oh.”

Jonghyun feels foolish for having worried over it. Now that he thinks about it, it makes a lot more sense. If they were dating, she would’ve freaked out when they were at the party; if he was interested in her, he wouldn’t have been pursuing Jonghyun.

“You’re not the first person to misconstrue our friendship as a relationship, don’t worry. I’m, quote, ‘too friendly and affectionate for my own good.’ We’ve been mistaken as a couple since high school.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. It was worse then, I had really bad anxiety and we had a lot of classes together so she would hold my hand a lot. She’s much better suited for Luna though. Even if we were both bi, or even straight, I don’t think we’d have worked out. It’s definitely a sibling-like friendship.”

“Ahh.”

They go silent as Minho puts the movie in. When he comes back to the couch, Jonghyun rests his head on his shoulder.

“So you mentioned liking holding hands.”