Diphylleia grayi

U&I

 

“Okay, so we have devil’s claw, chinese lanterns, wolfsbane, purple devil, cockscomb, and bat flower. Are there any we’re forgetting?” Minho asks, putting the potted bat flower in their little cart.

As a sort of combo date-and-decorating-mission, Minho had taken Jonghyun over to the next town. There was an antiques mall and a botanical garden; most of the morning had been spent looking at little antiques and the afternoon in the garden.

“The one....grayi. It has grayi in the name.”

“Grayi in the science name or the regular name?”

“Science.”

They start looking around again, walking up and down the rows. Eventually a staff member seems to notice their search and walks over.

“That’s a lot of spooky plants you have there.” he says.

“It’s been my dream since I was a teenager to have a spooky witch garden. I already have all sorts of herbs planted but I wanted to make it a little more diverse than just that.”

The man -- whose nametag reads Taemin -- glances around the cart, seemingly checking their little inventory.

“Was there something else you were looking for? You have most of them, at least the non poisonous ones.”

“There was something with grayi in the name? I remember that but I don’t remember what they looked like or what the regular name was.”

“Grayi....grayi....diphylleia grayi, probably! I can’t remember the regular name either but I know where to find them.”

Taemin walks down the row, Jonghyun and Minho trailing behind. He looks and turns over labels before finding what they’re all looking for.

“Aha! Skeleton flowers! A must for a creepy garden!” he exclaims triumphantly.

Minho picks out the healthiest looking, glancing around out at it.

“It doesn’t seem very creepy to me?” he says quietly.

Without a word, Taemin picks up a spray bottle and spritzes the plant. The flowers go clear and Minho’s eyes go wide.

“Fair enough.”