Where Are You?

U&I

Minho should’ve been home almost an hour ago. Jonghyun’s taken to pacing around the kitchen, phone in hand, waiting to hear something, anything from him. When it rings, he almost drops it in his excitement.

“Minho??? Where are you???”

“Is this Kim Jonghyun?”

The man on the other side of the line very obviously isn’t Minho and Jonghyun starts to panic.

“Yes, this is him. Who is this? Is everything alright?”

“Hi Mr. Kim. This is Officer Yunho. I’m currently at Baptist Regional Hospital. Mr. Choi has been in an accident.”

“Is he ok? Is Minho ok?”

“Yes, Mr. Kim. He’s been cleared to go home. He’s a bit shaken up though and needs someone to take him home. He was asking for you so we figured we’d try calling you first.”

“Thank you, Officer Yunho. You said he’s at Baptist Regional?”

“Yes, Mr. Kim. Will you be able to come?”

“Yes, yes I’ll be leaving as soon as I can find my keys. Thank you so much for calling.”

**

When Jonghyun arrives at the hospital, he’s not sure where to go. He parks and heads in for the front desk.

“Hello, I’m here to pick up my friend.”

“Name?” the woman behind the desk asks.

“Mine or his?”

“His.”

“Choi Minho.”

She types and clicks for a few seconds. Something starts printing behind her and she pushes her chair back to grab it.

“He’s in the waiting room to the left. If you’ll sign this release form, signifying that you’re taking him and claiming responsibility for him, you can head back.”

Jonghyun signs and the woman points to a seating area barely in view. He walks back and spots Minho sitting with a man in uniform that he assumes is Officer Yunho. Minho’s still in his work uniform, clinging to his backpack, bandaids on his cheek and arms.

“Hey honey, are you okay?” Jonghyun asks when he gets close enough.

It takes Minho a few seconds to look up but his smile when it clicks that it’s Jonghyun is somewhat reassuring.

**

“It wasn’t my fault,” Minho whispers halfway home.

It’s the first time he’s said anything and it takes Jonghyun by surprise. He’s taking empty backroads home; it’s taking a lot longer, but Yunho had said to try and take the least traffic heavy way to avoid Minho panicking. He had offered to let Minho hold his hand, but he wouldn’t allow it so instead he lets Minho rest his hand on his thigh.

“I know it wasn’t, honey. Yunho said it wasn’t your fault. The other driver was drunk and didn’t follow the rules.”

“I’m sorry, baby.”

“What are you sorry for, honey? You’re alive and that’s what matters. We can get you a new car. We can work through this. The only thing I care about is that you’re alive and okay.”

***

Jonghyun runs a bath when they get home. He puts one of his stress bath bombs in it, the one that makes a lot of bubbles that Minho likes. It takes him a few minutes to coax him in, and it’s a tight fit for them both, but after a while Minho starts to relax. Jonghyun helps him wash, taking time to scrub his back how he likes, carefully rinsing the stress away. They get out and Jonghyun helps Minho change into pajamas. He goes into the kitchen for a snack, eager to get Minho to at least try some crackers, and by the time he gets back Minho’s finally started to cry. He rubs little circles into his back but stays quiet. Minho eventually hushes on his own, wiping his eyes before reaching for Jonghyun’s hand.

“Are you ready for bed, honey, or should we sit up a little longer?”

“Will you hold me?”

“Of course, honey.”