02:34

U&I

Jonghyun wakes up in a cold cold sweat. His heart is pounding and a feeling of immense dread lingers in his chest. He feels his sheets around him, grabs ahold of the teddy bear that Minho won for him at the carnival, tries to remind himself that it’s just a dream. He searches for his phone; it’s late, too late to call Minho. They’ve switched his shifts from nights to mornings and he should be asleep by this point. He thinks to call anyway but instead just texts him that he had a nightmare. Message sent, he tries to lay back and relax. He’s caught off guard when his phone rings.

“Hello?”

“Hi, baby. Are you alright?” comes Minho’s voice.

He sounds tired, too tired, and Jonghyun feels guilty for messaging him.

“Minho, shouldn’t you be in bed? It’s 2:34am and you have to be at work by 9.”

“I am in bed.”

“Are you in bed or on your bed?”

Minho laughs. “I’m trying to cram for my exam tomorrow since I can’t study at work. I really was about to go to bed though.”

“Honey, that’s not good for you to do this…”

“It’s not good for you to have three nightmares in five nights but here we are. I’m going to get ready for bed now. Do you want to stay on the line or do you want me to call you back?”

“We’re not going to bother your roommate are we?”

“No, baby, he’s at his girlfriend’s place. It’s just us tonight.”

“I guess…just…..stay on the line but tell me what you’re doing so I know what the noise is, ok?”

Jonghyun closes his eyes and listens to the rustle of Minho cleaning up papers, the water running while Minho brushes his teeth, and Minho’s excited ‘woo~’ when he manages to throw his clothes into the hamper on the first try. He’s spent enough nights at Minho’s apartment to be able to imagine it all in crystal clear detail and it’s soothing.

“Ok, baby. I’m in bed now.”

“Mmm but you’re not next to me so how do I know?”

“I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

There’s quiet and Jonghyun wonders if Minho’s fallen asleep already.

“Do you want me to hum for you, baby? Would that help you get back to sleep? Or should I just keep talking?” Minho asks.

His voice has been getting softer and lower with each sentence and Jonghyun knows how hard he’s trying to keep himself awake.

“You don’t have to say anything, honey. Just knowing your on the other side of the call is enough.”

“I love you, baby. Come see me in your dreams, ok? I’m putting the phone on my pillow so it’s like you’re here.”

Jonghyun laughs softly. “I will. I love you too.”

The phone is close enough that Jonghyun can hear Minho’s breathing as it gets slower and mellows out. He feels creepy in a way, just listening to it, but it’s soothing and when he closes his eyes, he can almost imagine Minho’s here laying next to him.