006

End Game

 

Jiwon glanced at Mark briefly before speaking.

“Tell me honestly, are you hitting on me? Because, I’m engaged.” Jiwon started in English.

Mark chuckled and faced her before turning his gaze back on the road.

“You remind me of myself with all the running away.”

“What?” She balked.

“One doesn’t have to be a genius to figure it out, you were running away from that guy last night. Your fiancé.”

Jiwon closed and leaned back on her seat.

Besides, you’re just engaged. Not married.” He rolled his eyes at her.

“Heol.”

“I guess I got a downgrade then, from car rental agent, now to your driver, young miss.” Mark said teasingly as turned left.

“Ani, you become a high school friend.” She mused back, Mark nodded.

“So, who are you, Mark Tuan?”

“What did Jinyoung say?”

“He just texted that you are a jobless punk and that I shouldn’t let you get in my head.” She chuckled, Mark grinned and just drummed his fingers on the wheel.

“I went to high school in LA, and I finished my studies here.” Mark replied.

How about you, Red?

“High school here in Seoul, Beijing for college.” She shrugged at him, her eyes were on the buildings they passed by.

So, you’re one of those Seoul trust fun kids?” Mark teased, Jiwon shook her head.

And you? I’m sure you have a big company backing you up somewhere.

Mark’s lips quirked up slightly as they reached LG’s main office, Jiwon was looking at him expectantly.

I’d rather remain a mysterious stranger.

High school classmate.” She corrected him before sliding down the car, but she paused.

Then you should join us at that reunion later. Don’t forget to bring my best bud Jackson too.” She chuckled before closing the door and walking towards the building’s doors.

 

 

Luhan leaned back on his seat, there was a pile of folders on the desk, waiting to be signed and checked by him. But the Xi Holdings’ vice president was preoccupied.

“Is something wrong, sir?” His secretary spoke.

“Jiwon,” Luhan smiled slightly before leaning back on his seat.

“She’s hard to..please.”

The male before him smiled.

“You said this was just a business deal, vice president.”

Luhan stood up and walked towards the window.

“At first,….I saw her that way. A responsibility. Someone I have to please so things will go my way,”

“But, after getting to know her,” Luhan paused, he bit his lip.

“I don’t see her that way anymore.”

“She’s won you over?”

Luhan smiled to himself.

“I want to win her over. Sincerely.”

 

 

“Your high school friends?”

Jiwon nodded as she joined her father in the elevator.

“Did you invite Luhan? You should ask him to come, that way you get to introduce him to your friends.” He said to her as the doors closed.

Jiwon bit her lip before answering.

“Maybe..next time, appa. It’s been a while since I last saw my friends.” She said carefully, the elder glanced at her pensively.

“He might feel left out if you continue doing that.”

“I~”

“I heard about it, you left the party without him.” He said as they stepped out of the elevator. Jiwon looked away, her brows furrowing.

“I wasn’t feeling well that night.”

“You always that.” He told her, Jiwon paused.

“If this falls apart, It's all on you, Jiwon.”

“Appa, I really wasn’t~”

“You are going to marry him next year, remember that.”

Jiwon bit her lip and just nodded, the elder sighed at her before walking towards his waiting car.

 

 

“Here’s to never growing up!” Jinyoung chuckled before raising his glass, Jiwon shook her head.

And meeting new friends!” Jackson cheered before clinking his beer with Jiwon’s.

“So, this is your usual place? A small bar?” Mark looked around them, the four were at a small shabby bar that was blocks away from the prestigious high school the three friends went to.

“Wae? You don’t like it?” Jiwon grinned at him.

It’s unexpected from you three.” Mark replied before taking a small sip of his beer.

You were right,” Jiwon stated as she set her bottle down and picked up some meat.

About what?

Jackson and Jaebum were arguing over beef and pork cutlets.

Running away.

Mark looked at her.

I think I want do it, but I know I can’t.” She pointed out before chewing.

Why? Will they break your legs if you do?” Mark replied before eating.

Duty. To bring honor to the family.” She recounted, Mark paused and looked at her.

“He doesn’t seem to be that bad, Hong.” Jaebum commented, Jiwon blinked and glanced at her friend.

“Luhan? He’s..okay.” She said, Mark nodded before taking his drink.

“So, why?”

“What?”

“It’s kind of obvious you’re awkward with him. Usually, you’d be taking about him right now, or you should have brought him with you so that he gets introduced to your friends.” Jaebum told her, Jinyoung nodded.

“I just think…this thing is separate from him.” Jiwon bit her lip.

“Separate?”

“Luhan…Luhan…Luhan is like work.” She leaned back on her seat, Jackson blinked.

“Work? That’s too much, my favorite client.” Jackson said as he chewed on his fried chicken.

“There’s something that you’re not getting here, Wang Jackson.” Jiwon was grinning at him.

“It’s an arranged marriage. I have to marry him no matter what.”

Jackson was stunned.

“Yeah, things like that still happen.” Jinyoung nodded at his friend.

“I volunteer as tribute!” Jackson blurted, Mark chuckled.

What?

I’ll save you from this, Red.” Jackson nodded at her.

You can’t. I’m stuck.” She stated before picking up her beer, Mark’s eyes went to her for a brief moment and he shook his head.

You’re not running away from it? I can teach you how.” Mark spoke to her, Jaebum grew amused.

I didn’t really say this earlier, but you look like trouble.” Jiwon tilted her head at him, Mark chuckled.

“Exactly. Stay away from our Hong.” Jinyoung intervened.

“But I’ve been upgraded to be one of her high school friends already.” Mark mused, Jiwon laughed and just pushed the plate of fried chicken to him.

Jaebum just looked at the two from his seat with a small smile on his lips.

 

 

Jiwon will be trouble for you, Mark Tuan. Your own kind of trouble.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++