001

End Game

The girl behind the wheel groaned in exasperation as her 1976 Ford Mustang gave up on her again. She pressed her forehead against the wheel before sliding down the vehicle, she was mumbling to herself as she popped the hood open.

“Not now. Not in the middle~” She puffed her cheeks, she was right in the middle of the famous Banpo Bridge.

Her phone started to ring in her pocket, she took it out and groaned again.

It was her head of security, she chucked her phone back in the car before focusing on the car’s engine again.

She paused when she noticed a navy blue Jaguar in front of her. A young male dressed in denim jeans and a white sweater slid down from the vehicle.

“This oldie is giving up on you?” He spoke in perfect English.

She just blinked back at him.

Uhm, I’m s—sorry, I can’t speak Korean that well. But…I’ll help~

No, no, I can understand you perfectly.” She shook her head and smiled at him.

But, he’s not that old.” She pointed out, the male grinned.

1976. I’m impressed you managed to keep the original paint job.” He nodded towards the car, the girl nodded proudly.

So, what happened?” He asked her as he peered over the hood.

I don’t know; it’s been happening to me for a few days now. He keeps on dying on me.” She bit her lip, then the male started to smile before reaching in for something inside the hood, there was an odd clicking sound.

The girl rushed back behind the wheel and started the car, she smiled before walking back to the stranger.

Thank you. How do..you know so much about cars?” She asked him, her eyes went to his Jaguar briefly.

My brother loves old American muscle cars.” He shrugged before stretching his palm to her.

It’s Joey, by the way.

Jiwon.” She said as she shook his hand, then Joey took out a small business car from his pocket.

My friends own this shop, you might wanna pass by to have this guy checked.” Joey gestured towards the car, Jiwon took the card from him.

Maybe, I will. Thanks again.

 

 

The young male clad in a nice crisp suit took a sip from his coffee as he waited outside the coffee shop. He checked the time again and shook his head disapprovingly.

Just then a BMW motorcycle appeared in his line of sight, its rider was dressed in all black, black leather jacket and black jeans. A stark contrast against the white snow surrounding him.

“You’re late.” Park Jinyoung stated as his friend slid down from his mode of transport.

Mark smirked before taking off his helmet.

“I told you I didn’t want to come.” Mark mused before following him across the street.

“It’s just brunch, Mark Tuan.” He said with a roll of his eyes.

“Exactly. They’re disguising this type of thing just to lure in more investors. And I’m not one. I don’t work for my family.” Mark stated as they approached the building, then he halted, something had caught his eye.

“What now?” Jinyoung followed his gaze just as an old model Ford Mustang passed by the street, Mark whistled in an appreciating manner.

“That gets your attention? But not a possible takeover for your family’s company?” Jinyoung asks dryly.

“Yeap.” He shrugged before going in to the lobby.

 

 

Jiwon bit her lip as she stepped in the elevator, her father’s secretary was standing behind her.

“Why was I called, unnie?” She whispered, the older girl smiled before replying.

“He wants to talk about the banquet this Saturday, agasshi.”

Jiwon grunted, the doors opened before her.

“It’s that Lotus Ball, right?”

“Yes, most of our partners from China will be there too.”

Jiwon nodded and walked towards the double doors down the hall. She patted down her hair as she approached the doors.

“Well, I guess I’m required to come. There goes my weekend plans.” She muttered before opening the doors.

Her father looked up from his desk, he gave her a curt smile before closing his laptop.

“I’ sure you got my email,” He started, Jiwon nodded and took her seat across him.

“Have you contacted him about it?” He asked her.

Jiwon bit her lip.

“I was just about to, appa.” She replied.

“Good, good, you have to be together at events like this. It will make us look good.”

Jiwon just nodded wordlessly.

“Then, can I go now, appa?”

“Sure. Make sure to look nice at the ball.”

Jiwon nodded again before leaving the room, she exhaled and made her way back to the elevator.

 

 

Mark set his helmet down on the table and strolled into shop, his friend was grinning at him from the second floor.

Your brother was just here.” His friend, Jackson Wang announced as he went down.

I just came from brunch with Jinyoung. Some tech company wants to lure in more investors again.” Mark murmured before sitting down on the couch and stretching his legs before him.

“Oh, I heard about it, KM Tech, right?” Jackson switched to Korean, Mark nodded.

“People still think you’re working for Tuan Group then.” He snickered.

“Well, eventually you will.” He added, Mark sent his friend a look.

“Why did Joey come by?” He asked before opening a can of beer.

“He was going on about this lady driving a Mustang around downtown. The car broke down, and he helped her out. Your brother fell in love.” He cackled, Mark shook his head, then he paused.

Wait, a 1976?” He blinked.

“Yeah, I think that’s what he said.” Jackson replied before taking a beer for himself.

“I saw it earlier, not bad. Do you know the owner?” Mark asked, Jackson had been running his shop for about four years now, and he knew most of the people in Seoul who owned unique cars.

“No, I don’t think so.”

Mark just nodded, then both of their phone started to beep. Jackson took out his and muttered something in Mandarin.

Mark read the message and grimaced.

Lotus Ball?” Jackson looked at him.

“I guess I can’t escape this one.” Mark murmured.

“Why?”

“The message came from my grandfather’s office.”

But then again, I can always try not to come.” Mark stated before tossing his phone away.

“Ya, you have to attend this year. It’s crucial that you do.”

 

It’s just not my cup of tea.” He said as he glanced at the Lotus Ball invite on his phone.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++