Meanings

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The three remaining put on their gloves. The two residents shouldered their backpacks, and headed in the opposite direction as Sowon and Eunha. Eunbi followed them.

 

Umji decided to start up a conversation with Eunbi. Like the others, she was curious about her. “So,” Umji started, “how old are you?” She figured simple questions would be a good way to start.

 

“20. You?”

 

“Wow same! Are you from around these parts?”

 

“No, my parents had me move out here two years ago.” Eunbi said flatly.

 

Umji just nodded at that. Yerin who was just peacefully listening to the conversation turned to Eunbi and tried to study the girl, but she couldn’t tell what kind of feelings were behind Eunbi’s words.

 

Some time passed in silence as they continued to walk downstream. The whole group and their living situation really bugged Eunbi, especially now that she had more time to think about it. Thinking things like ‘Why are they living like this?’ and ‘How are they able to live like this?’ only made the girl even more curious. Gathering her thoughts, Eunbi decided to ask Umji.

 

“Hey…”

 

“Yes, Eunbi-ssi?” Umji said while turning to Eunbi with a smile.

 

“You can drop the formalities by the way. I don’t care for those. But anyways, I was wondering if I could ask you something…?”

 

“Okay, Eunbi, shoot.” Umji laughed

 

“I was just wondering why you all are living like this? Isn’t it hard?”

 

After Eunbi asked that there was some silence. Eunbi started to worry if she crossed some sort or line. “Oh sorry, you don’t have to answer that, I was just curious.” Eunbi said while waving her hands.

 

“No, no, it’s okay, I was just thinking about how to reply. Well the five of us have our own reasons to live here. I guess we choose to live here because we feel that here is where we belong.” Umji said with a thoughtful look. Eunbi looked out of the corner of her eye and saw that Yerin had an unreadable expression.

 

‘Should I continue? There’s still so much I want to know. Maybe I’m just being to nosy though…’

 

As if reading Eunbi’s mind, Umji laughed. “You can ask more questions if you want. I don’t mind sharing. It’s nice talking to someone who’s the same age as me.”

 

But before Eunbi could start again, Umji said one more thing. “But after all of this, I get to ask my own questions.” Yerin perked up at that and tried to subtly lean into the conversation to hear them better.

 

Eunbi was hesitant at first. She was wary of the kind of questions she’d be asked, especially after Umji said that. Everyone there was nice to her, and treated her well, but it’s not like she could open up to just anyone.

 

But her curiosity was starting to get the best of her. Umji was still staring at her, waiting for a response. With a sigh, Eunbi conceded. “Fine.”

 

“Okay, great! What would you like to ask then?”

 

Eunbi decided to get straight to the point. If they were going to make her talk about herself, she thought she might as well ask the biggest question that’s been bugging her.

 

Eunbi looked at Umji. “How did everyone first start living here?” Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter