Apologies

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi fell asleep on Umji’s shoulder. The girl quickly became tired after having cried so much. Umji heard a light nock at her door and laid Eunbi down so that she could go and check who it was.

 

Lightly, to not wake Eunbi, Umji went to the door and opened it. She opened the door and widened her eyes at the sight of Yerin. The girl was dressed in her pajamas and was wearing her jacket. Her clothes were dirty, and she was holding onto Eunbi’s jacket. Umji ushered her inside and put a finger to her lips to signal her to be quiet even though she knew Yerin wouldn’t make a sound.

 

Umji grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. She noticed Yerin hadn’t brought anything with her to communicate. When she looked back, she saw that Yerin had knelt by Eunbi and was resting her head next to the girl’s, looking at her. Yerin started to carefully Eunbi’s head, making sure to not wake the girl up.

 

Umji went over to Yerin and tapped her. Yerin looked at Umji and nodded while getting up. The two went to the corner in the room and sat down. Umji handed the paper and pen to Yerin, Yerin smiled as thanks, but Umji noticed the smile didn’t reach the girl’s eyes.

 

“Unnie, what happened?” Umji whispered. She already knew but she wanted to hear what Yerin thought of the situation. Yerin replied by first shaking her head before writing.

 

I really have no idea. We were talking and then Eunbi started to cry. I tried to comfort her but it seemed to only make things worse. It’s my fault, isn’t it?

 

After Yerin finished writing, she looked up at Umji. Her eyes glistened with newly formed tears. Umji was surprised at the sight. She had only seen Yerin cry once during the entire time she has known the girl. Umji felt bad. Yerin was oblivious to Eunbi’s feelings but it was clear that she cared for the girl.

 

“No, unnie, it’s not your fault.” She tried to reassure the girl. “Eunbi is just going through something right now, that all…” She felt it wouldn’t be right if she told Yerin about Eunbi’s feeling for her. But when Umji said that, Yerin looked hurt.

 

              She told you what’s wrong?  

 

Umji couldn’t bring herself to look at Yerin’s eyes. Yerin was unnervingly staring at Umji, sadness clouded the girl’s eyes, but that didn’t hide the desperation of Yerin wanting an answer. Umji couldn’t say anything. She knew the girl was already hurt and if she said anything more, it would only make the situation worse. She limply nodded as a reply.

 

Umji looked to see how Yerin reacted to that. Yerin hung her head for a bit, before Umji spoke again. Umji couldn’t help herself, she had to ask one of the many questions that has been occupying her mind. “Yerin-unnie?” Yerin looked at the girl when she heard her name. “Do you care about Eunbi?”

 

Yerin seemed almost angry at the question. While she was writing her response, the page almost tore on multiple occasions.

 

              Of course I care about her!!! Why would you even ask that!!??

 

Yerin glared at Umji. But then, her face immediately softened, as if she thought of something. Yerin started to write again, this time, a lot more gentle.

 

              Unless, does Eunbi think I don’t care about her? Is that why she cried?

 

Umji ignored the question, and asked on of her own again. “In what way do you care about Eunbi?” Umji considered that she might be crossing some sort of line without Eunbi’s consent, but since she thought of Yerin as family, and she thought of Eunbi as her best friend, she had to know. Yerin thought about the question a bit before writing.

             

I want to protect Eunbi. I feel that I have to save her. She’s important to me. She feels like family but I feel differently about her than the others… No offence...

 

Yerin looked at her apologetically. Umji couldn’t help but chuckle to herself. “None taken. It’s okay, I understand. But why do you feel that you have to save her?” Yerin just shook her head at that. It seemed to Umji that she couldn’t answer that question. Or more, that she wouldn’t answer that question.

 

I had looked everywhere for Eunbi, I guess I should have looked here first. Now that I know she’s fine, I should get going.

 

Umji grabbed Yerin’s wr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter