Stars

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So…” Eunbi was the first to say something. “They said they bought those, right? I don’t mean to be rude, but how’d they get the money…?” She turned to Yerin and waited for her written reply.

 

Sometimes Sowon and Eunha go into the market, and sell some of our vegetables and fish for money. Maybe you’ve seen them before? Also Yuju pays rent so we get money that way.

 

“I doubt I’ve seen them, I don’t leave my place much…. But wait, I keep hearing the name ‘Yuju’, but I haven’t met her yet. Plus why would she pay rent to live here? It’s not even legal for anyone to live here!”

 

Yuju works a lot so sometimes she’s away for a few days at a time. As for rent, it was Sowon’s idea. Yuju doesn’t seem to mind though.

 

“Wow, she doesn’t mind? She must be rich then…” Eunbi said while thinking out loud. “But if she has money, why would she choose to live here…?” Yerin wrote an answer regardless of if Eunbi was expecting one or not.

 

She’s very rich! She said that she’s famous. Maybe you’ve heard of her before. And truthfully none of us know why Yuju lives here. By the way, the really nice house over there is hers.

 

Eunbi slowed turned to face the house Yerin was mentioning. ‘Just who is this person??’ Eunbi screamed in her mind. ‘How was it even possible to build that?? Are zoning laws not being enforced??’

 

Seeing her reaction, Yerin laughed, making Eunbi to push her thoughts to the side, and return to reality.  Eunbi just smiled.

 

Umji returned from washing everything and soon after, Sowon and Eunha joined them as well with sparkers in their hands.

 

Sowon lit them all for everyone, and warmed them to be careful. Not long after, Eunha and Yerin started to chase one another. Sowon joined the chase, scolding while trying to catch up to them. Eunbi and Umji were left behind.

 

“Would you like to join them?” Umji asked.

 

“Truthfully, I’d rather not.” Eunbi laughed

 

“Me too, running isn’t my forte after all.” They both laughed at that. Now in silence, except for the squealing and yelling of the group chasing each other, Eunbi and Umji just concentrated on their sparklers by crouching around them, close to the ground.

 

Umji broke the silence again. “You know,” Eunbi looked to at Umji, who in turn was still concentrating on her sparkler, “I’m glad I was able to meet you. It’s been so long since I’ve talked to someone my own age. I wish we could have spent more time together.” Umji finished still not meeting Eunbi’s gaze.

 

Eunbi felt that she had felt an entire lifetime worth of emotions in a single day. Part of her wanted to stay by the river with them. She wanted to be with these people, the people who made her feel every emotion she normally lacks from her life.

 

But at the same time, Eunbi knew her place isn’t with them. She knew her purpose. The words of her father and mother replayed in her head. She has no right to try and be happy, that’s not why she was born.

 

Even with that though, she agrees with Umji, she wishes she could’ve gotten to know the girl more as well. Like Umji, this was the first time in a long time she has had a conversation with someone her own age.

 

Eunbi finally replied. “I wish I could have spoken to you more, too.” She was being honest. “When I said that you could visit my university, I was serious. You’re always welcome.” Though Eunbi has never had a friend before, she felt that Umji could be a person who could fill the role.

 

Upon hearing what Eunbi said, Umji shot her head up, her eyes swelling with tears. Umji blinked them away. “Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me.”  Umji smiled. “I really want to, but I rarely leave the river way, so it could be a bit scary for me.” Umji sheepishly admitted.

 

“Do you have something to write on? And a pen?” Eunbi asked out of the blue.

 

Confused by the shift in conversation, Umji just replied normally. “Yeah. I always carry some sort of paper and something to write with incase Yerin-unnie forgets hers. But why do you ask?”

 

“Can I borrow them?” Still not sure what was going on, Umji just complied and handed them over to Eunbi. Eunbi stuck her almost extinguished sparkler in the ground and quickly started to write and draw before the last remaining light from her sparkler went out.

 

Just in time, she finished and handed the paper and pen back to Umji. Umji’s eyes scanned over what she was given. Eunbi then explained what she gave the other girl. “That’s my address. I tried to draw a map to my apartment but since it’s from memory, it might be a little wrong. But with this, I’m sure you’d be fine if you came to visit.” Eunbi finished saying with a proud look on her face.

 

Eunbi then looked at Umji. The girl’s face had the biggest smile. Eunbi was equally happy with the thought that maybe the other girl would actually come and visit her.

 

Umji couldn’t contain her happiness anymore and tackled Eunbi, hugging her and saying ‘thank you’ over and over again. Eunbi just smiled and patted Umji’s back.

 

Eunbi felt Umji’s weight lessen. She looked up and saw the other three, who had apparently stopped chasing each other. Yerin had lifted Umji and placed the girl back on her feet, giving her a ster

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter