The Market

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two arrived back at Eunbi’s place and gathered their things. Eunbi packed what she had set aside earlier, and readied herself for the weekend. She didn’t know if she’d be staying both nights but just in case, she packed enough. Umji grabbed her clothes from Eunbi’s washer, and started to gather her own things, which wasn’t a lot. When she went to Eunbi’s place originally, she only had the clothes on her back and the map Eunbi had originally drawn for her. Eunbi finished getting ready and was about to ask if Umji was done as well but then saw her staring at the backpack Eunbi had bought for her.

 

“You can take that back you know. Along with all the school supplies. I don’t need them so it’s no problem.” Eunbi said.

 

Umji’s head immediately shot up. “Oh, I couldn’t possibly! I’ve already imposed so much…”

 

When Eunbi heard that, she put her own bag down, marched towards Umji, and shoved the backpack into the girl’s hands. “You’re taking this with you, and that’s final!” Eunbi said sternly with her arms crossed. Umji had no choice but to accept, but she wasn’t complaining. Umji knew she’d repay the girl someday for her kindness, in one-way or another. Umji put her clothes in her new backpack, and nodded to Eunbi that she was ready to leave. Eunbi smiled, grabbed her bag as well, before they headed out the door.

 

Eunbi didn’t quite know the way to the market place so she just followed Umji. Eunbi was curious about how Eunha and Sowon could leave the bridge and work. She decided she’d ask about it. “You said Sowon-unnie and Eunha-unnie are working, right?”

 

“Yeah, why?” Umji replied while turning to face the girl.

 

“Well I was just wondering… It seems everyone doesn’t like leaving the bridge for the most part, plus you said they ran away, so I was just wondering how they’re able to work…” She tried thinking about it herself when it first caught her attention originally, but she couldn't think of any good answers.

 

“Hmm… you have a point. Normally no one likes to leave the bridge, except for Yuju-unnie who leaves for work. Sowon-unnie and Eunha-unnie only work at the market about twice a month. They said they have their protection seals on so it’s safe for them to be in public.”

 

“Oh that makes sense- wait a second… protection seals…? What are you talking about…?” Eunbi was starting to grow suspicious.

 

Umji just laughed. “You’ll see.” She smirked. “Plus, shouldn’t you be worrying about other things? Like what to get Yerin-unnie?”

 

“OH SHOOT! I still haven’t decided anything!!” Eunbi started to panic. “Do you have any ideas??” She was desperate. Especially since she assumed she’d be staying at Yerin’s place again, but since she didn’t ask beforehand, she had to make sure to be on the girl’s good side.

 

Umji thought about it for a bit. “I’m sure any gift you put some thought into, she’d like.” She smiled; content with the answer she gave. Eunbi’s mouth just dropped.

 

‘Is she serious?? That doesn’t help in the slightest!!’ Eunbi mentally cursed the girl. Her mental turmoil was cut off when Umji spoke again.

 

“We’re almost there. Let’s go see Sowon-unnie and Eunha-unnie first. While I help them clean up, you can go find something for Yerin-unnie. We can eat after that. Does that sound fine?” Umji asked.

 

“Yeah, that’s fine.” Eunbi replied. Truthfully she was curious about the supposal ‘protection charms’. And she also definitely didn’t want the others with her when she picked out a gift for Yerin.

 

They two got closer to the market area. Eunbi could hear the mixed chatter of street vendors. There were also quite a few shops. The size seemed fairly big considering the size of the town. “They should be this way.” Umji pointed. Eunbi just nodded and followed her. They arrived to the place the two normally were. “Huh, that’s weird, their stuff is here but I don’t see them…” Umji started to look around.

 

“Yeah… I wonder where they went…” Eunbi said while also looking around. The two were too preoccupied that they weren’t wait some people were headed their way. Suddenly two pairs of hands covered both Umji’s and Eunbi’s eyes. All Eunbi could hear was heavy breathing. She sensed it was a man behind her because she felt the person was taller than her.

 

Eunbi froze. She didn’t know what to do. She could feel the person moved closer to her as she felt someone’s breath tickle her ear.

 

“Guess who?” The person whispered. Eunbi screamed and instantly elbowed the person behind her as hard as she could in the stomach. The person immediately let go of Eunbi and fell to the ground. Eunbi jumped back and screamed again. A person in a mask laid on the ground.

 

She then turned to Umji who had open in surprise. Another masked figure was now holding hands with the girl. “It’s a good thing I decided you’d be the one I’d surprise.” The masked figure said while

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter