Questions

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Umji didn’t bring up that question again throughout the time they were attending classes, but Eunbi only knew it was a matter of time until she asked her again. Was it really a crush that she had? Is it even possible to like someone like that in such a short about of time? All of this was new to Eunbi, like everything else that had happened since meeting those people, so her mind was swamped with questions once more.

 

“Eunbi!!”

 

“Huh? Oh sorry, I didn’t hear you, what’s up?” Eunbi turned to face Umji who in turn was frowning.

 

“I’ve been calling you for the past few minutes… is everything okay? The lecture is already finished and everyone is leaving…”

 

“Oh,” Eunbi looked around, “you’re right, let’s head out also then.” She finished with a smile.

 

“You didn’t realize class had finished? It’s impressive you were able to keep up with the notes then!” Umji laughed resulting in Eunbi to join in as well.

 

“Years of practice.” She winked while still laughing. The two grabbed their things and exited the classroom.

 

“So, what will we do now? Do you have another class?” Umji hopped in excitement at the idea. Eunbi gave the girl a disgusted look.

 

“Umji, that was our fourth class of the day! How can you want to more?? But no, thank god we’re finished with classes for the day!” Eunbi looked up and mimed like she was praying.

 

Umji sulked for a bit, she didn’t want the day to end. She knew she would come again the next day but that seemed so far away. Eunbi noticed the mood change. “Well, if you want, we can go to the school library. Homework was assigned so I can finish it there if you’d like to check it out?”

 

Umji’s mood immediately returned to normal after she heard that. Her eyes grew wide and Eunbi could’ve sworn she could see sparkles in them. “Really?? Don't you normally do you homework at your apartment? Is it really okay for us to go??” Eunbi normally did her homework at her apartment because she was not a fan of being stared at like she was on display.

 

‘It’s only for today and tomorrow, you’ll be fine.’ Eunbi reassured herself before replying. “Yeah, of course! It’s no trouble at all.” She smiled at the other girl who was still smiling.

 

“Thank you so much!! I can’t do much for you in return, but if you have any questions about anything, then I’ll gladly answer!” Umji said while hopping around once more.

 

‘Anything? Maybe this is a better deal on my end…’

 

Thinking that, Eunbi lead Umji to the library. Their walk was filled with chatter about the classes they just took. Mostly Eunbi was complaining and Umji was laughing because she, unlike Eunbi, enjoyed them all.

 

They arrived and found a quiet place in the library to themselves. Umji was amazed by all the books she saw. Umji would often dream about living in a place like this, a place where she could be surrounded by books and no matter what, even if she spent her whole life reading, there’d still be more for her to read. Eunbi rarely went to the library, but whenever she did, she was always impressed by the amount of books the school had.

 

Eunbi started to work on her homework. Seeing that Umji had nothing to do, she copied the questions onto an extra sheet of paper so Umji could attempt to answer them herself. The questions based after the material they learned that day, by going back and forth between her notes, Umji was easily able to answer them. But the questions about what was previously explained in class, when Umji was not there, she had difficulty with.

 

Eunbi, who was also working on the problem, would take time and explain anything that Umji didn’t understand. She didn’t tell her the answers because she was confident if Umji knew how to do it, then she would be able to answer it correctly. Eunbi finished first and worked on some class readings while waiting for Umji to also finish.

 

When she did, the two compared answers. To Umji’s delight, she got everything right. Eunbi took out a read pen and clearly wrote a ‘100’ while circling it. Eunbi held the paper in her hands and could not stop smiling.

 

‘It’s a shame she was never able to finish schooling, she clearly has a gift…’ Eunbi thought to herself.

 

By the time the two left the library, it was already dark. “What would you like for dinner tonight?” Eunbi asked.

 

“Would we order food, or make it?” Umji then asked.

 

“Of course order it!” Eunbi laughed. “I haven’t made food in long time. It’s a pain to do the dishes.”

 

“True, as maknae of the group, I always have to clean up so I can understand that.” Umji said while laughing. “But isn’t it expensive?”

 

“I guess? But I have enough money and I don’t spend it much on anything else so it’s fine. I still have more than enough.”

 

Umji laughed at that. “Okay then, how about Chinese food? I haven’t had that in a long time!”

 

“Now that you mention it, I haven’t either! Let’s go with that then and head back.” While they were walking back to Eunbi’s apartment, she entered the order into a food delivery app so that by the time they reached her place they wouldn’t have to wait much longer.

 

When the two reached her apartment, Eunbi unlocked the door, and they went inside. They both put their backpacks in Eunbi’s room and then waited in the living room area for the food. It wasn’t long after until it arrived.

 

They happily chatted while eating. Eunbi felt content. She never knew having a friend would be so nice. She had already gotten used to going about her school day with Umji. She started to dread next week when Umji won’t be with her. She wondered if it would be possible to become as close as she is with Umji with Yerin.

 

She still wasn’t able confirm her feelings for the girl, so in the meantime, she decided she’d just like to get closer to Yerin. She barely knew anything about the girl and it was bugging her. Waiting for the conversation they currently had to finish, she decided to ask about the girl that had been occupying her thoughts.

 

“You know how you said I could ask you about anything and you’d answer if I took you to the library…?” Eunbi hesitantly asked.

 

“Of course, I don’t forget anything. What would you like to ask about Yerin-unnie?”

 

“Well I was just wondering- wait, Yerin-unnie? How did you know??” Eunbi shot her hands up to and widened her eyes.  

 

Umji smirked. “I didn’t, I just had a hunch that’s all. Which you proved to be correct.” She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter