New Family

Life Under a Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerin stared at Eunbi, urging her to continue. Eunbi looked into Yerin’s eyes, blinked a few times and then looked away with a sigh before beginning. “Well… you see… my family isn’t really like a family.” Eunbi didn’t want to see Yerin’s reactions so she just continued talking while looking at the ground.

 

“Up until the age of six, I rarely saw my family. The maids raised me. Well, I wouldn’t say ‘raised’ because they really just did the bare minimum. I was fed, washed, and clothed, but aside from that nothing else really. My brother was confined to a different part of the house so I didn’t see him much, either way, he didn’t seem interested in talking to me either.”

 

“On my sixth birthday, I was excited because it was the first time my whole family celebrated my birthday with me. But apparently, they only went because they figured it was time for them to tell me my purpose.”

 

“They told me that as heir and only daughter to Hwang Enterprises, it was my duty to basically become a part of the company. I was to become the ‘face’ of the company. Of course I had no idea what that meant but at the same time, I was just happy that my parents were finally talking to me and wanted me to join them. I agreed, but it’s not like I knew I had a choice otherwise to.”

 

“Time passed and I was put into various classes. Acting, modeling, music, manners, etc., pretty much anything you could think of that would be needed to become successful. I began modeling for the company when I was eleven. I was homeschooled up until that point but once I started middle school, I went to public school.”

 

“My parents wanted other children to see me, other parents to see me, and to make an association between me and the company. I was expected to be perfect, so I became perfect. My face became more known, and the company grew.”

 

“I’ve always been alone. I’ve never had a family, only a boss and co-workers.” Eunbi then made eye contact with Yerin, eyes b with tears that threatened to fall at any moment. “And let’s just say that if you disobey this boss, then things will end badly.”

 

Yerin grabbed Eunbi into a tight hug, afraid that she would break into pieces so small, that she’d never be able to be put back together. Yerin could feel Eunbi trembling in her grasp. She tried to rub circles on Eunbi’s back, hoping that it would tell her that she was no longer alone.

 

When Eunbi stopped crying, Yerin pulled away from her to write something on her white board. Eunbi hadn’t stopped shaking yet, and hadn’t yet returned her breathing to normal, but there was one question on her mind. When she finished writing, she tapped Eunbi’s shoulder, urging her to look at her. After a moment, Eunbi reluctantly glanced over at Yerin.

 

            Eunbi, has your father ever physically hurt you?

 

Eunbi quickly darted her gaze back to the floor. She knew Yerin was going to wait all night if she had to for an answer. The unwavering stare she felt on her was proof of that. With another deep sigh, Eunbi began speaking again. “Only when I deserve it, other than that he just ignores me.”

 

Yerin tapped her shoulder again.

 

Is that why you needed your phone? So that you could reply to him quickly? So that he wouldn’t get angry and hurt you? 

 

Eunbi just nodded her head, too tired to speak after crying. She could only manage to say one word, before starting to cry. “Sorry.”

 

Yerin once again pulled Eunbi into another hug, crying along with her. Yerin wasn’t crying just from feeling bad that Eunbi has this kind of life, but from anger as well, anger at her family, and specifically, anger at her father.

 

After awhile, Eunbi stopped crying again, and though Yerin hadn’t stopped she pulled away from Eunbi once more to write on her white board.

 

Eunbi, you don’t deserve this kind of life! No one does! A family is meant to protect you! Not hurt you!!   

 

Eunbi opened , but before Eunbi could say a reply, Yerin had already written something else.

 

And no, before you begin, it’s not your fault. Every time your family has hurt you, it’s not your fault. Like you said, they’re not your family.

 

Eunbi gave a sad smile and mouthed ‘thank you’ before leaning her head on Yerin’s shoulder. Yerin wiped her last tears and used the other hand to gently stoke Eunbi’s hair. Yerin was deep in thought. With her free hand she wrote something and then placed the board into Eunbi’s lap for her to read.

 

Can we be your family? I know nothing can beat a real family, plus we haven’t know e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter