Chapter 5

Somehow

[Umji's pov]

i woke up to the sound of oil sizzling and the smell of chicken. 'Sowon unnie must be cooking again.' I smiled stupidly to myself as I walked to the bathroom to wash up before heading downstairs. 'Morning unnie!" I greeted cheerfully. "Morning Umji. We're having breakfast soon. There's a package for you." Sowon unnie said while using the long chopsticks to stir fry the bulgogi.

I saw a package on the dining table and saw a brown box sitting on the dining table. I took the pen knife and cut open the box. It was sent by my aunt and saw some of my favourite pull overs and t-shirts. Then, I saw a black box in the bottom. I opened it and saw a letter. I took the letter and saw the opening.

'From Your mom'

I gasped and opened the envelope.

'To my sweet angel, Umji

By the time you read this letter Umji, you must have grown up to be a lady and having a boyfriend now. I'm sorry for not being there at the lowest and biggest part of your life. I wanted to see you grow, play with kids, enter school, come home with your first boyfriend, get married, have kids. Umji, in your life you will meet on of my friend's daughter, Kim Sujong. She is a sweet girl and I hope you guys are good friends now. I'm watching over you Umji stay beautiful my angel.

Your mom..."

I clenched on that letter and cried. Sowon unnie came over hearing me cry. "Umji, what's wrong?" Sowon unnie asked as she embraced me. I buried myself in her chest and cried.

[Sowon's pov]

I was so confused when I heard Umji crying. I was tasting the kimchi stew that I made and heard sobs. I turned off the stove and placed down the spoon. I adjusted my apron and saw Umji crying. I walked over. "Umji, what's wrong?" I asked. She didn't answer me but she just hugged me. My heart broke when I saw her cry. She later broke the hug. I wiped her tears and cupped her face. "Unnie, here." She said handing me a box.

I opened the box and saw a pink diamond necklace that was meant for couples.  There were two chains on each top and it can be seperated by pulling bother the necklace. "Umji.." I was confused. She turned the necklace behind and I gasped. 'Sowon and Umji, besties forever.'

"Oh! You're that cute and chubby girl, Omoji right?" Umji nodded cutely. "So you're that Soso unnie!" Umji said. We hugged. "Unnie I think this belongs to the both of us." Umji said as she seperated the necklace and gave me one half while she took the other half. We both wore the necklace. "Best friends forever!" We said in unison and giggled. "Come on, let's eat." I said. Umji nodded and placed the package in her room before coming out to help me with breakfast. I cooked Kimchi stew, Grilled Mackerel, placed some sides and Bulgogi. Umji and I ate happily as we talked and laughed about out childhood memories.