Promise

IN BETWEEN TWO BOULDERS

A/n: This chapter is full of flashbacks...

---

It took her 3 hours before arriving at her destination. It has been a year and a half since she set foot in her hometown and it sure felt nice. She looks around standing on her toes so that she can see in the crowd. The station was kinda busy that day having many passengers and staffs so it was a kind of hard trying to get out of the increasing crowd.

"Dara-shi!" someone called out.

Dara tries to stand on her toes once more to see who was calling her. But it was harder than she thought as the crowd start moving, pushing her further to the end. She was about to stumble as something caught her feet but then someone grabs her waist preventing her from falling.

She stares at the tall handsome guy with glasses who gave her a sweet smile.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he helps her stand on her feet.

"Minho—hyung", she flung her arms on his neck giving him a warm hug.

The handsome guy hugs back-patting her at the back. Then suddenly pulls her away.

"What did you just call me?" he said frowning.

"Excuse me?" Dara tries to act all innocence.

"What did you just call me just now?" he repeats himself.

"Hyung", she beamed out teasing him.

"Yah! You really dare to call me that" and he started to mess her hair.

"EEEEiiii", she whines as her hair got all tangled.

"I'm not finished yet" he was about to raise his other hand to give her a flicked on the forehead.

"Wait!!!!!!!" she raises both her hand shielding her face. Minho stops to hear what she had to say.

---

SanDara's POV

I look at Minho to see that he stops. I sighed in relief.

 "Oppa, mianhada. I won't do it again", I try my best to look cute while I say my sorry.

 "Really?" Minho said as he looks at me suspiciously. I can blame him since I have broken it a lot of times. I just love teasing him since he always wanted to have a younger brother.

"This time I really meant it", I told him with a big smile.

"Can I really trust that smile of yours?"

I didn't let go of the smile as I examine his face.

"Alright", he finally let me go and went to take my language on the side.

"Let's go", he called out. I run swiftly to his side as he led the way. I can't help myself peeking on his side to see his face.

"Why is there something on my face?", he asked as he caught me on the act.

I flickered away blushing.

"Ani", I answered trying to hide my burning cheeks. It has been a year and Minho just grows more attractive. It has been 9 years since this guy came to our lives. I smiled as I remembered that day.

*flashback*

It was in the month of December when I first saw him standing beside the pole in front of our house. At first, I just ignore him thinking he was just a customer waiting for our ramen shop to open. That's why I just pass by him on my way to school. But then I got confused as I saw him every day at the same spot as if he never moves, like a statue place right beside the pole..He sometimes looks like he was guarding something. I got really curious that I started staring at him as I waited for my mom outside. He looks at me not even blinking.

What's wrong with this kid. Is he a robot or something?

One day, I headed back home early as school was canceled due to heavy snow though it hasn't started to snow heavily as I walked home. And there he is again on his spot near the pole. I look at him as the thought of snow in my head. I took the umbrella from my bag and went near him. I open it up and handle it to him. He looks at me with a curious eye.

I smiled "It'll be snowing later so you use this and go home, arraseo"

I didn't get any reply from him so I took his hand and place the umbrella. I smiled once again and run inside our house.

Two hours later the snow began to fall.

I had a cup of chocolate drink in my hand as my eyes focused on the t.v screen as I watched detective Conan. As the program ended, I got a glimpse outside the window.

Is he, home already?  thoughts of him suddenly flashed from my mind. I run my way to the store and went to peek at the glass window at the front. It was hard to see because of the fog, I try to wipe it out with the sleeve of my jacket. I lean at the glass trying to see clearly.

Omoo!!! I gasped on what I saw. Half buried in the snow was the guy earlier. He was still standing on his spot shaking.

"Umma!" I called my mom. She looks at me with worried eyes and glances at the glass. She then grabs her quilt on the chair beside her and came dashing out the store.

Mom brought the freezing boy inside our warm cozy home. She helps him with a warm bath and I let him use my oversize pajamas and my extra coats. He sat on the sofa, lips still trembling due to cold. I took a chair from the kitchen place in front of him and then went to get another cup of hot chocolate.

"Here", I offer him the cup.

He took the cup with his shaking hands.

"I told you to go home, didn't I?" I watch him as he took a sip.

After getting no response I asked again. "What were you doing outside?"

He just stares at me blankly as if he didn't hear anything I said.

"Are you deaf or maybe muted?" I asked in a low tone not really wanted to offend him or something.

But still, I didn't get any response.

Argh! this guy is driving me crazy. I fight the urge to knocking on his head to make sure that he wasn't a robot cause he seems like one. A robot who isn't cold resistance.

"Dara", mom came calling me from the side telling me to leave him alone for a while. So I sat on the stairs looking at his back. After finishing his drink he stood up. I stood up as well as I caught him eyeing at the door.

Does he plan to leave?

He took a step toward the door, I jolted to block him

"Where do you think you're going?" he was surprised by my action.

"Dara-ah", mom called from behind him.

"Mom his leaving", I said.

He gave me a 90-degree bow and turn to give my mom the same bow of respect.

"I'm really grateful in your hospitality but I really need to get back to my place", he said.

Woah! he isn't muted after all..

I was about to step aside as I thought that was what mom wanted to tell me but then I was taken aback on what came out of her lips.

"You don't have to", the boy turns to look at my mom "You don't have to stand there in the cold"

He looks at mom confused.

"From now on you'll stay with us", mom said as a smile emerges on her face.

The boy was frozen from where he was standing as his eyes widened in surprise.

"BUt--"

my mom cut him off "You don't have to worry, everything is taken care of"

I look at mom then at the boy as they continue to stare at one another as if they talking secretly with their eyes.

What is going on?

Since that day Minho leaves with us. I wasn't really comfortable at first as he was addressing me, miss and mom, as madam as if we're from the royal palace. Though it was quite embarrassing being called miss by a person who's age is not further away from you. I felt like my ears are going to fall off every time he addresses me that. That I even end up cursing him to death.

For the first two months, he was just like a robot helping us with chores. He wouldn't even join us eat though my mom tries to convince him to sit with us since she said that he was already part of the family. I tried to talk to him sometimes so he will feel at ease living with us and also for me to know more about him but he was giving me such small details about himself. All I know is that he lost his parents in an accident and I quit.

I just can't get him to spill out any details about himself. The next thing I knew I'm no longer interested in his past.

It didn't take long as we started to get comfortable with one another and he even calls my mom omoni and also went on calling me Dara. His serious robotic face started to light up and unlike before he started laughing with us. I didn't bother him with any of my stupid questions about his life before. I just don't care, what planet he came from before he became human. Cause I was sure his an alien when he first step inside our house. But my view of him eventually changes as I got to know him more.

*end of flash back*

---

I shiver as the cold wind touches my skin. I look at Minho's back who was walking two steps ahead of me.

 "I thought mom was in the hospital", I asked confused as I realize that we're taking the road to our house.

"You know your mom can stand a day inside the hospital"

I smile as I remember the thought of how mom really hates the hospital. She once said that she rather be jailed than be admitted to those creepy buildings. She believes that hospitals are the places where ghost stays and she was a scaredy-cat that why she hates it.

We stop in front of our old ramen store that has been close the same day I had left. Minho went down on the small stairway at the side of the shop. It is the entrance to our small little house that is also connected to the store.

"Omoni, where here" Minho called out as he steps inside the house.

At first, I hesitated going inside as I remember the very day that I left.

*flashback*
a/n: the slant words are Dara's thought.

Dara shut the door of her room angrily behind her as she locked herself in.

"Dara-ah, listen to me", her mom called from outside.

"Anio!!!!!!!"

She screamed covering her ears. She just doesn't want to listen anymore. She sat down on a corner crying her eyes out.

Her mom finally enters the room seeing her daughter on the corner covering both of her ears. She sat in front of her. Dara's hair was all messed up and was falling in front of her face so her mom reaches out to fix it up.

"Don't you touch me", she said giving her the glare.

"Please understand me this is for your own good", she starts explaining herself.

"For my own good? " she doubted that. "Have you really gotten tired of me that you wanted me out of your life? Have I been a burden to you?"

"No, it's not like that", her mom starts crying as well. "He can give you a better life. Everything you want, bags, shoes, a good education. He'll provide you anything you needed"

"It's like I need all that"

I really don't care about having anything, he offers.

"My child"

"You still cares to call me your child when you're going to give me to that bastard"

"Yah, he is your father"

"Abeoji?! Since when? When did he even become my father?!"

Well, the guy were talking about was actually my biological father. But he never acts as a father to me. He just considers me as his daughter when he finally realizes that there will be no chance of him having a child with his current wife. That serves him right, from deceiving my mom and living us alone. I may sound rude but that's what I really felt about him.

"That bastard isn't my father", she said grinding her teeth together in anger.

With that, her mom slaps her hard on the face. Her jaw tightened up as hot tears drifted on her cheeks. She felt a sting on her cheeks for a second but it didn't last long. She didn't have time to feel the pain caused by the slap on her face. The impact on her heart was way much stronger.

She turns to face her mom.

"If you really see me as a burden, I'll leave.  I rather step out of this house than go with him".

She didn't need to hear her response as she heard the voice of that guy who he calls bastard downstairs coming to fetch her.

She smirks in disbelief.

"So you already called him, huh?"

Her mom turns to look away from the glare she is giving her.

"That's it", she wipes her tears using the back of her hand "I'm out"

This how Dara ended up living with Eunjung in Seoul as her mom try to force her to live with the person she hated the most in the entire world.

*enough for the flashback*

---

"Is there a problem?" Minho asked as he hold the door open for me.

I stared at him blankly not really sure if he was still welcome in our house.

I never thought of stepping inside this house after a long time but I just can't afford to left my mom alone. Now that she's not in a good condition. I also do miss her a lot and I cannot deny the fact that she's the most important person in my life. She was definitely the opposite of my dad.

He gave me a slight smile assuring that it was alright.

 So  I quietly took a step inside, I can help myself to look around the place. Nothing changes after a year, everything looks the same. The old sofa and our small television were still placed in the middle separating the way to the kitchen and the dining room. My children's book was still placed on the little bookshelf on the side of the television and even the picture frame of my grandma and grandfather still hangs on the wall. It suddenly feels like I haven't left this place as I cannot see any changes except it was really quiet.

I was used to hearing kitchen utensils, a drama playing on the t.v or the ahjumma playing cards with my mom. But right now it feels a little empty.

 "Are you hungry?" Minho asked as he put down my things near the staircase.

"Not really"

"Then you can go up to your room and change"

My room?

I suddenly feel that I was really at home.

I put down my body bag on the sofa as my eyes are still roaming around the house.

"Omoni!"

I heard Minho worried voice from the kitchen making me run my way there. I didn't need to step inside to see what had happened. Mom was holding Minho for support as Oppa try to help her stood up.

 "Omoni, I told you to stay in bed"

"I want to prepare something for my daughter since I heard she's coming", she said in a low husky voice.

My heart almost crushed as I saw how bad my mom looks. She was thinner and her skin is so pale.

"Do you think she'll be able to forgive me ", she added coughing as she finished her sentence.

"umma"

She tilts her head in my direction.

 "Are you still giving oppa a headache?" I sighed.

"Dara-ah?"

"Go get some rest you're just going to make others worried", I said looking away.

"I'm sorry", she mumbled. I don't have the courage to look at her so I step aside hiding behind the wall.

---

Minho's POV

"Omoni, let me take you to your room", I said as I help her balance.

She slightly nods as her eyes were focused on the door where Dara had been standing awhile ago. I lead her to her room and tacked her inside her bedroom. I was about to go when she pulled me on my sleeves.

"Minho", she called my name.

"Is there something wrong, omoni?"

She shook her head and smile. "I had something to ask you"

"What is it, omoni?" I asked puzzled.

"Will you look after Dara when I'm gone"

"Omoni"

"Please, you're the only person I can trust to look after my daughter"

"But—", I look at her not knowing how to answer.

"Just promise me"

I nod "I will"

She smiles contented. "I am glad that you grew well. I bet if your umma is still alive she'll be very proud of you"

I smiled back hearing her words but I'm still not sure of my promise.  "Omoni, should you really trust her to me"

She took my hand as I sat beside her. "You're a nice person, Minho. So don't ever doubt yourself. I'm really glad to have you in our life"

"Me too, omoni" I was really glad in having her and Dara. If it wasn't because of them I might still be in the dark. "Omoni, you should rest and get your strength back. I promise to treat you and Dara when I receive my first allowance. Arraso", I said as I flash her a smile

 "Really?"

"Uhmm", I nod.

"But will Dara come?" I can still hear her sad tone.

"Don't worry I'll make sure that you two will be in good terms. Dara might be hard-headed sometimes but we both know she loves you so much", I try to cheer her up. "and I know, Omoni too"

I went back downstairs after I make sure that Omoni has already been sleeping. As I step down the stairs I caught a sight of Dara leaning on the wall spacing out, so I decide to approach her. She was startled with my sudden appearance in front of her.

"You scared me", she gasped.

"Are you still mad at her?" she looked away avoiding direct eye contact.

"She didn't mean to hurt you back then"

"I know", she replies in a low tone.

"Then why are you acting like that?"

"I— I don't know how to approach her", she bit her lips. "Because of me, she's in this state. I'm really ashamed of myself. I've been a really bad daughter", she sobs.

I held her chin upward so I can look at her and realize that tears were flowing on her cheeks.

"Don't cry, it's not your fault", I whispered as I cup her face and wipe her tears with my thumb.

"It is. I didn't know that leaving her with lead to this", she mumbles in between sobs.

"Ani. Omoni, wouldn't like seeing you crying. So don't cry"

She bit her lower lips trying real hard not to sniff as I wipe the last tears that had escaped her eyes.

"Come here", I took her in my arms giving her a warm comforting hug.
 

---

SanDARA's POV

It was already 6 in the evening when I went downstairs after taking a warm shower. I heard kitchen utensils so I decided to take a look and saw Minho busy in the kitchen.

 "Yow, wassup?" I asked trying to take a peek on what he was doing. He covers my eyes before I can see what he was preparing. He holds me on the waist slightly pushing me backward.

"Yah, just sit down. I'm almost done', he winked.

"I'm hungry", I said as I try to take a peek over his shoulder. He put both his hand over my shoulder with a sweet smile on his face he turns me around.

"Sit" and I followed like a puppy.

Five minutes have passed already and I started tapping the table with my fingertips.

"are you done", I said already pouting

"..." I didn't get a response from the tall guy so once again I stood up.

I was about to poke him on his back when he suddenly turns around.  He kindly bumps me a little that makes me step back and fell out of balance.

 "Yay!" I gasp.

I'm really clumsy, I know.

Without thinking I grab on his broad shoulder afraid to fall. He caught me on my waist pulling me closer. I can feel his warm breath on my forehead making me tilt upward. My heart skips a bit as our eyes met. His stare was totally going to melt me down in a few seconds. I don't know what was happening but there is a magnetic force that was slowly pulling us closer as I felt the electric current running in my veins.

GROWL!!!

I'm not hearing it.

GRUmBLE> GRUMBLE.

Aisht! My stomach just ruins the moment. He turns his head to the side trying to hide the grin that slowly curled on his lips and let go of a sweet chuckled.

"Someone's hungry", I look away blushing as he helps me stood up.

"It's your fault. What took you so long in preparing dinner", I said as I turn my back on him and started to walk my way to the table.

"HAHAHA, If you didn't disturb me your stomach wouldn't have the chance to talk", he chuckled as he landed a plate of roasted beef on the table. He gave me a cup of rice and a pair of chopsticks. He put a bowl of doubukki on the side and some other side dishes. I was about to stand up to get the sauce for my beef but he brought it before I even had a chance to step afoot.

"Thank you"

"Well, dig in", he sat on the opposite side of the table.

I just love how the beef was equally roasted and the juicy feeling that was invading my mouth. I really love Minho oppa's cooking, it was totally daebak. I was scoping every side dish that was served to me and every bite feels like heaven.

"Matda", I complimented in delight.

"You like it?" he stares deep in my face.

"Ani"

"What? You just said—"

"I love it", I beam.

He sighed in relief. I shovel another spoon of rice to my mouth staring at oppa and that's when I realize he wasn't eating anything and just staring back at me.

I stood up, took another plate and place it in front of him.

"Wae?"

"eat", I commanded.

"huh?"

"Aren't you getting hungry watching me eat"

"Yah, stop staring"

"Yeppeuji", he suddenly mumbles making me speechless for a while.

He told me I'm pretty.

"Your blushing", he pointed out.

"Ani" I wasn't really sure if I was but something felt hot on my cheeks.

Aisht! I guess he was just trying to tease me.

I shook my head in disbelief.

"I guess you really just hungry"

"Seeing things", I muttered.

He chuckled.

"If you're not going to eat then neither will I", I put down my chopstick though I know I'll be regretting it if he insists not eating.

"Arrasso Arrasoo", he finally gets his bowl of rice and starts eating with me.

---

After making sure that both Dara and her mom is asleep. Minho silently went out of the house as he saw lights flickered from the window. He climbs on the stairs and went walking to the other side of the store.

"Hyung ", he stops hearing a voice coming from the dark alley.

"Minhyuk", he called back not looking in his direction.

From there a young boy emerges wearing denim, black t-shirt, and a brown coat. His hair was all messy as if someone had blown or pulled them in a different direction.

"I thought you'll be arriving with her"

"Mianhae, I didn't ride the train instead I rode on my bike all the way here"

That explains his weird hairstyle.

"You should have ridden the train with her. What if something happens to her while she was on board?"

"I'll try to remember that next time", He gave him an apologetic look.

He isn't in the business for too long so I guess I let it pass just for today.

"I haven't heard your report for today", He reminded him.

"Ah, yes", he said remembering. "noona, went in her usual date with her best friend  Eunjung in the mall to watch a movie. But noona look pissed went she went out of the cinema, I wonder why since the movie they watched was a romantic film", he said scratching his head.

"Did you enter the cinema as well?"

"Ani, the boss didn't give me any money for the tickets and I forgot my wallet at home so I didn't follow them inside", he grinned.

Minho shocked his head annoyed. "What happens next?"  he asked him to continue.

"Well, they went to eat and they were talking about something that irritated noona that she even got chocked"

"What were they talking about?"

"Well—", he paused glancing at the street to make sure no one's visible. He looks straight at Minho and gestures him to lean closer. Curiously Minho did lean his ears toward Minhyuk.

"Hyung", he whispered "I don't eavesdrop them. I don't really like gossip"

Minho wants to slap his face in frustration.

How can someone hired this person too followed and guard Dara, argh!

"After talking to the phone she went to the train station and TA—Da! She's here. End of the report", he said with a wide unbelievable smile on his face.

"Alright, I took it from here. You can go now"

He gave Minho a 90-degree bow and went his way. Minho turns so he can watch him leave but he isn't that far when he turn back and run toward him.

"Hyung", he began scratching his head as he smiles shyly.

"What?" Minho asked confuses.

"I kind of run out of gas all the way here and I haven't got my wallet. Can I borrow money from you, I promise to pay it when I got my money back"

Minho took a few bills in his wallet and handed it to Minhyuk. Minhyuk eyes lighten as he saw the bills being handed to him. He took it with a big smile on his face.

"Thank you, hyung. You're the best"

"go get something to eat for dinner, arraso"

He nods his head obediently. Minho pats his head as he remembers himself when he was little. He was in the same age when he first enters the business. He had lost his parent's in a car accident and someone brought him to Mr. Park wherein he was trained to be a family guard. It wasn't just an ordinary guard training given to him as he studied every kind of martial arts. And being a fast learner he was already sent to his job in just a year of training. He was assigned to guard and protect Mr. Park's only daughter and that person is nonother than Dara.

---

SanDARA's  POV

I woke up as I felt my throat has dried out.

Thirsty.

I walked my way out of the room half asleep.

<*cough > <*cough>

I stopped in front of my mother's room as I heard non stop coughing.

"Umma", I called out as I enter the room.

She was sitting on the floor hand clasped on the side of the bed while the other was covering . I run toward her.

"Umma, are you okay?"  I asked worriedly.

I help her to get back on her bed and went down to get some water.

"Here", I gave her the glass of water.

She took it and drink it all up.

"Thank you", she said in a hoarse whisper.

I help her lay down and put a blanket on her. I was about to leave when she grabbed me on the wrist.

"Dara-ah"

I glance back at her and went to sit beside her. She gave me a warm smile.

"My child, I'm sorry"

"Ani, I'm sorry. I shouldn't leave you back then. I'm really sorry", I told her.

"It was my fault if I didn't force you to go with your dad you wouldn't have left me. I'm really sorry"

"Umma, let's forget about it", I told her with a sad smile as I put my other hand over hers.

She squeezed my hand a little as she gave me a weak yet loving smile.

"Can I ask you a favor?" She suddenly asked.

"Of course"

I'll do anything for my mom.

"Sleep with umma, just for tonight. I just miss you so much"

I nod in response and lay right beside her burying my head on her chest as I hug her tightly. I also did miss Umma a lot. She puts her hand on my head caressing my hair.

"Would you like umma to sing you a lullaby?"

"Uhmm", I answer in response since I was enjoying the warmth of my mother.

"Just remember umma loves you so much", that's the last words I heard as I finally drift off to sleep.

---

Dara wakes up as lights enter the room. She smiles as she realized she was still in the arm of her beloved mother. She moves her head upward to see her mom's face. She was smiling in her sleep. She was planning not to wake her up for now so she can take much rest as possible. She took her mom's hand that was on her waist. She took it by the wrist and her eyes widened as she feels chill on her skin. Her mom was extremely cold. She turns to look back at her face once again seeing how paled it gotten.

"Umma", she starts to shake her up from her sleep but got no response.

"Umma, wake up. Please, wake up", she begs as tears roll down her cheeks.

Even though how much she shakes her up. Her mom didn't wake up.

"Umma!", she cried out loud.

With that Minho came rushing from downstairs and jolted to the room.

"What's wrong", he asked as he saw Dara sitting beside her mom. Dara looks at him with her eyesfull of tears as she called her mom's name.

Minho runs to the other side of the bed and took Omoni's hand after realizing there was no pulse beat he drops on his knees. Tears also glide down his cheeks as he lost a mother-like figure for the second time. Then he glances back at Dara who was crying beside her mom.

Don't worry omoni, no matter what I'll keep my promise.

****